What Anti-Virus do you use and why?

Gung Pow Chicken

I know I'm going to get a lot of bad reactions to this but owell.

I just kinda want to know if their is anyone else on this forum like me, so on my personal machine I haven't used an Anit-virus program in probably 5 years if not more. My alternative is that I use a non-intrusive firewall that blocks all incoming and outgoing connections to the internet unless I add an exception rule. I don't really browse the web all that much, all I really go to is youtube and forums.  I run a few different addons in firefox that kinda help decrease the risk an infection too, I run WOT, HTTPS Everywhere, and Ghostery. "Plus ADP"

What kind of setup do you run to keep your computer virus/malware free?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Normally I just use windows defender but this time round I went for kaspersky basically because of how cheap it is and it has a gaming mode that prevents scans and the like from happening while your gaming which is pretty cool but to be honest with you any free, well known anti virus should be fine

Just now, adamsmith3424 said:

Normally I just use windows defender but this time round I went for kaspersky basically because of how cheap it is and it has a gaming mode that prevents scans and the like from happening while your gaming which is pretty cool but to be honest with you any free, well known anti virus should be fine

When people ask me what they should use I normally recommend Avast and or Avira plus Malwarebytes. Either of those combinations work great in my opinion and whoever I've recommended them too haven't had any problems.

For work I use Symantec, it works well with the domain and how large it is.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I use Bitdefender as a always on random scanner. I find it has the fewest false positives of all the AV ive tried and it doesnt have the privacy issues AVG has now. It also has the easiest ways to add exclusions when it does have false positives and actually follows them :P AVG......

Malwarebytes is my weekly scanner and internet protection. Just find it easy to use, intuitive, resource light and effective

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

13 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

I use Bitdefender as a always on random scanner. I find it has the fewest false positives of all the AV ive tried and it doesnt have the privacy issues AVG has now. It also has the easiest ways to add exclusions when it does have false positives and actually follows them :P AVG......

Malwarebytes is my weekly scanner and internet protection. Just find it easy to use, intuitive, resource light and effective

I've always been a fan of Malwarebytes, it's never let me down and always does a good job.

I don't use one. I used to but haven't used one in about 2 years. I don't do a lot of dumb stuff so I think I'm good. I'll ocasioanlly use malwarebytes to do a scan about every 6 months to a year then I uninstall it again. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

1 minute ago, CalebTheEternal said:

I don't use one. I used to but haven't used one in about 2 years. I don't do a lot of dumb stuff so I think I'm good. I'll ocasioanlly use malwarebytes to do a scan about every 6 months to a year then I uninstall it again. 

That's how I feel, I know the sites I go to and I know they can be trusted. Plus if I am just browsing the web WOT helps out a lot when it comes to unknown sites.

CommonSense(tm), patent pending.

As for web security: Flash and Java are disabled entirely. My passwords are stored in KeepPass, Google/Github/Steam/Origin/anything that supports it have 2FA in the manner of YubiKey or Authenticator codes, HTTPS Everywhere, and uBlock Origin (with privacy lists from Disconnect and Anti-AdBlock Killer). Also most connections are done through a proxy (Shadowsocks) to one of my servers. 

Aside from a physical firewall appliance and the built-in security suite in Windows 10, nothing.

Since I don't share my machines and I almost never go to shady websites, I'm comfortable enough to not run any AV solution

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

I've got a 5 device licence of Bitdefender Total Security, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Unchecky running on my main and my family's PCs. I also have a Premium unlimited Malwarebytes Anti-Malware licence which I run on my work PC as I connect a lot of questionable shit to it, like external HDDs and USB drives.

On my computers, I never install Flash and enable JavaScript manually on every page I visit. On top of that, I use F-Secure Freedome VPN when I'm not playing video games. Think I'm safe enough.

I forgot to mention that I use ExpressVPN.

I've never heard of a few of those things you listed, mainly just Unchecky.

I don't use antivirus software. I haven't used one for over three years. They slow your machine way the hell down and then ask you for money every so often. The closest thing to antivirus software I use is CCleaner to clear out the registry, and Malwarebytes about once a year to clear out any bugs (I don't keep it on my machine - it's not cancer yet, but if Norton and McAfee are anything to go by...). It usually comes up empty. Adblock stops the ads from injecting malware onto my machine, and I steer clear of anything that tells me that "I've won" and that I should "click here" "Now."

Stay away from Free Desktop Strippers and 99% of the Download buttons on CNet.com (actually, stay away from those guys entirely) and you won't get any viruses. Most complaints of viruses are caused by the owner's stupidity, gullibility and naivety, and by people who think that the Bing toolbar is really useful and that PC Optimizer Super Advanced Pro Suite 2016 actually helps.

3 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Aside from a physical firewall appliance and the built-in security suite in Windows 10, nothing.

Since I don't share my machines and I almost never go to shady websites, I'm comfortable enough to not run any AV solution

I've got a POS Thinkpad that I let people use and my desktop / laptop both run the same things. So Both of the drives are encrypted and everything is usually locked dfown, I turn them off whenever I'm not using them so unless you know my password you can use them.

Right now, I use AVG Internet Security. Got a 1 year free trial with this key " IBY9X-ESYXT-W4BZQ-QI4WX-A9LI7-INRS3 ".

Because my Norton Internet Security license expired when I upgraded to Windows 10 and I didn't feel like buying it again at full price. (It often goes on sale for like, $20 CAD, around the end of the year, instead of the usual $80)

When that license also expire, I don't know which anti virus I'll use.

Bitdefender and Kaspersky are both out. Every time my licenses expire, I try a few anti virus suite to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence... and bitdefender NEVER worked for me, it always crashed right away and/or blocked my access to the internet entirely with their custom SSL certificates, even on clean installs of Windows.

And I didn't like Kaspersky's firewall, it's even more annoying than Norton's when you disable the smart firewall and want to choose if a software can access the web or not manually.

For now, I guess AVG's internet security is nice, if it's on sale by the time it expire, I might buy it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

I don't use antivirus software. I haven't used one for over three years. They slow your machine way the hell down and then ask you for money every so often. The closest thing to antivirus software I use is CCleaner to clear out the registry, and Malwarebytes about once a year to clear out any bugs (I don't keep it on my machine - it's not cancer yet, but if Norton and McAfee are anything to go by...). It usually comes up empty. Adblock stops the ads from injecting malware onto my machine, and I steer clear of anything that tells me that "I've won" and that I should "click here" "Now."

Stay away from Free Desktop Strippers and 99% of the Download buttons on CNet.com (actually, stay away from those guys entirely) and you won't get any viruses. Most complaints of viruses are caused by the owner's stupidity, gullibility and naivety, and by people who think that the Bing toolbar is really useful and that PC Optimizer Super Advanced Pro Suite 2016 actually helps.

I work for a friend in his repair shop on the weekends and almost every computer we get in is full of crap like PC Optimizer.. People are idiots and even though we tell them not do download stuff like this they do it anyways.

avast pro. i like the ui and features, and got like 5 keys for 25$

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

At the moment im running malwarebytes but i usually run norton.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, Icuw1pc said:

I work for a friend in his repair shop on the weekends and almost every computer we get in is full of crap like PC Optimizer.. People are idiots and even though we tell them not do download stuff like this they do it anyways.

lol... "But but, but it really does help! My PC is much faster since I downloaded it! Look, it says so on the page! 'makes your PC faster'."

Just now, KemoKa said:

lol... "But but, but it really does help! My PC is much faster since I downloaded it! Look, it says so on the page! 'makes your PC faster'."

Just now, KemoKa said:

Your so right, I'm going to download it all right now. We should suggest that companies like ninite add them to the application list so it's easier for people to download and install them all. I mean how nice would it be to get all of your bloatware from the same place. lol

None, I get past the virus' and malware with my sheer power!

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

^This, and I'm actually dead serious. If I get a bad virus, I carve it out of the filesystem and overwrite the blank space on the drive with zeros.

2 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

I wish I was that good lol

1 minute ago, KemoKa said:

^This, and I'm actually dead serious. If I get a bad virus, I carve it out of the filesystem and overwrite the blank space on the drive with zeros.

Welp I think we found the BAMF of the day lol

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Same...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Common Sense 2016 + Malwarebytes if some stupid developer decides to sneak some shit into their installer... lookin at you crystal disk check, I don't want none of  your lavasoft shit.