I think I've gotten two of the worst 970s for overclocking

1 minute ago, CarterDavison said:

Right, because one shit overclocker means the entire manufacturing process is the same..

And ASIC doesn't mean a huge amount with Maxwel.. Maybe Big Maxwell but not Tiny Maxwell

Right.....considering I've followed the guides exactly and my GTX 970 barely does +50MHz stable I'm a shit overclocker? The ASIC score does mean a huge amount. The higher it is the cooler the card runs and the less voltage and power is needed, ergo the higher the ASIC score the better up in the silicon lottery the GPU is. And the architecture is the same for "little" and "big" Maxwell, the ASIC score means the same for both.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

-snip-

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They are not binned the highest, not when you can get a GPU with an ASIC score of 62.9%, which means that it requires a lot more power to reach the same clock speeds as GPU with higher ASIC scores, and runs a lot hotter, 77oC before overclocking on mine with 28oC ambient, excellent airflow and a clean heatsink+fans. Every single GTX 970 Windforce owner that I've seen overclocking has had far higher overclocks on their cards than mine, and to top that all of, with those that show the ASIC score its a lot higher.

the windforce and g1 gaming are different line of cards, side note my card has an asic of 80.5% on the primary card and 66% on the secondary card, sounds like you got unlucky.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

1 minute ago, King Oriax said:

the windforce and g1 gaming are different line of cards, side note my card has an asic of 80.5% on the primary card and 66% on the secondary card, sounds like you got unlucky.

Which I shouldn't have as the G1 Gaming are supposed to have GPU that have actually been binned.

PMSL

10 minutes ago, Praesi said:

ASIC has very little impact with the 980Ti as well.

Tell that to XOCers and the KPE 980 Ti rofl

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Which I shouldn't have as the G1 Gaming are supposed to have GPU that have actually been binned.

Nowhere do they state what it has been binned to

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Right.....considering I've followed the guides exactly and my GTX 970 barely does +50MHz stable I'm a shit overclocker? The ASIC score does mean a huge amount. The higher it is the cooler the card runs and the less voltage and power is needed, ergo the higher the ASIC score the better up in the silicon lottery the GPU is. And the architecture is the same for "little" and "big" Maxwell, the ASIC score means the same for both.

I mean the GPU is the shit overclockers rofl

ASIC means jack shit for Maxwell dude.

I know from first hand experience.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

5 minutes ago, CarterDavison said:

Nowhere do they state what it has been binned to

Note that mine falls well below the overclocking capability of every other GTX 970.

5 minutes ago, CarterDavison said:

I mean the GPU is the shit overclockers rofl

ASIC means jack shit for Maxwell dude.

I know from first hand experience.

Its not supposed to be a shit overclocker, that's what the "GPU Gauntlet" sorting or binning is for. And if the ASIC score means jack shit for Maxwell, explain why people are getting higher overclocks the higher the ASIC score of their GPU?

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Note that mine falls well below the overclocking capability of every other GTX 970.

Its not supposed to be a shit overclocker, that's what the "GPU Gauntlet" sorting or binning is for.

Please explain to me how a single bad card from a batch results in the entire line being "not the best".

I don't think you know how this works at all.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

1 minute ago, CarterDavison said:

Please explain to me how a single bad card from a batch results in the entire line being "not the best".

I don't think you know how this works at all.

I did also talk about the cooler, remember? It is audible at idle over a water pump that is far from quiet at 100%, and drowns out everything in my case at full load and can be heard through out most of my house.

PMSL

I did also talk about the cooler, remember? It is audible at idle over a water pump that is far from quiet at 100%, and drowns out everything in my case at full load and can be heard through out most of my house.

Sounds like you got a bad model dude or the area you live in sucks lol.

I had a G1 980 that I couldn't hear until 65% fan speed which it never went over under load rofl.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

2 minutes ago, CarterDavison said:

I had a G1 980 that I couldn't hear until 65% fan speed which it never went over under load rofl.

There are quite a few other cards from other manufacturers that have fans that are a lot quieter up to higher RPM.

PMSL

There are quite a few other cards from other manufacturers that have fans that are a lot quieter up to higher RPM.

Noise isn't what make a card good or bad lol

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

Noise isn't what make a card good or bad lol

Bad cooler+Gigabyte hasn't done anything, or even responded when questioned, to show that they actually do as they say. Also, Gigabyte went full retard and put half of the vRAM on the back of the card when there is room for it+the tracks under the heatsink.

(not Asus Strix bad but still bad).

PMSL

On 2/2/2016 at 6:51 PM, Dabombinable said:

I will admit that the fans are a bit loud and are slightly louder than my krakens pump but I can't hear them much sitting about 8 feet away

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

2 hours ago, Praesi said:

ASIC has very little impact with the 980Ti as well.

I can second this I have one with 80 ASIC and one with 60 asic both do 8ghz on the memory and both do 1487 on the core 

they both hit the power wall limit 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

6 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I can second this I have one with 80 ASIC and one with 60 asic both do 8ghz on the memory and both do 1487 on the core 

they both hit the power wall limit 

And the ASIC score doesn't affect you because your limited by the power. On cards with high power limits the ASIC score matters (and doesn't affect the memory),

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And the ASIC score doesn't affect you because your limited by the power. On cards with high power limits the ASIC score matters (and doesn't affect the memory),

I think that's the point tho

thoes are pretty respectable overclocks for 980tis and the ASIC score still didn't matter

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

2 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I think that's the point tho

thoes are pretty respectable overclocks for 980tis and the ASIC score still didn't matter

Well your graphics card doesn't appear to actually be aimed at overclocking, unlike the G1 Gaming series.

PMSL

6 hours ago, CarterDavison said:

Not really. The G1 is the best 970 for overclocking.

It's not. New Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming one is better for example. Better power delivery, improved cooler design etc. It's basically an improved version of the G1. Do not spread misinformation please.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's not. New Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming one is better for example. Better power delivery, improved cooler design etc. It's basically an improved version of the G1. Do not spread misinformation please.

It also has the chips Gigabyte were supposedly using in the G1 Gaming....which is BS but given my past experiences with them.....

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It also has the chips Gigabyte were supposedly using in the G1 Gaming....which is BS but given my past experiences with them.....

I don't think the G1 is even close to being the best 970, my buddy had the G1, I had the MSI 970 Gaming 100 ME Limited Edition, it was shorter, looked better, was much more silent and actually overclocked better for the same price, the only thing the G1 was better at was cooling, but even @1500mhz core it barely passed 70 degrees so I guess it's irrelevant...

EVGA FTW+, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Xtreme, Galax/KFA2 HOF would be my choices instead of the G1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Most of the time you're suppose to get the clocks on what the box it says, any clocks higher than default is just silicon lottery. 

If it's not stable under default clocks then its poorly made, or it needs a trip to the RMA center.