780ti upgrade?

yannickverc

HeyGuys

Little while ago I posted about a waterloop upgrade that I was gonna do, with a cheeky GPU upgrade. But After calculating the cost of everything, idk if dropping 2K on my PC right now is a good idea..

What's your opinion on upgrading to a 980ti from a 780ti? worth? 

I play at 2560x1080 so not really that demanding in terms of gfx..

Thanks!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

wait for pascal

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1441

If you can afford it, the gains look substantial.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

wait for pascal

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

wait for pascal

Did you see any of the recent articles speculating that Pascal won't release on time?  Of course it's all speculation, but the points are extremely convincing(this doesn't please me).  Regardless everyone would be wise to expect a delay in the Pascal Flagship release.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

It's worth it for sure, but if you're not ready for the investment don't do it. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

13 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Did you see any of the recent articles speculating that Pascal won't release on time?  Of course it's all speculation, but the points are extremely convincing(this doesn't please me).  Regardless everyone would be wise to expect a delay in the Pascal Flagship release.

why does that matter?

i told him to wait because his 780ti is good enough and if pascal is good he can get it WHEN it is released, and if it isnt good then he can get a 980ti for cheap used

i already know and have read all the articles
i dont care, pascal isnt going to be delayed for a decade so OP should have no problem waiting with his 780ti for a while

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why does that matter?

i told him to wait because his 780ti is good enough and if pascal is good he can get it WHEN it is released, and if it isnt good then he can get a 980ti for cheap used

i dont care, pascal isnt going to be delayed for a decade so OP should have no problem waiting with his 780ti for a while

It matters.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why does that matter?

Yeah it matters.

Don't fixate on the future at the price of the moment. Nothing even remotely solid is known about Pascal. And if you look to the usual releases we are at least a year away from a 980ti replacement. Plus after Pascal launches that 780ti will be a tough sell. 

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It matters.

inute ago, App4that said:

Yeah it matters.

Don't fixate on the future at the price of the moment. Nothing even remotely solid is known about Pascal. And if you look to the usual releases we are at least a year away from a 980ti replacement. Plus after Pascal launches that 780ti will be a tough sell. 

his 780ti will last him longer than pascal could possibly be delayed, so no, it doesnt matter

my original post said nothing about the pascal release date so why are you making stupid assumptions?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

his 780ti will last him longer than pascal could possibly be delayed, so no, it doesnt matter

my original post said nothing about the pascal release date so why are you making stupid assumptions?

Because if they're considering the upgrade, there's a reason. Nothing is lost ether way in the end. If they're not ready monetarily then yeah, silly to force it. But to even consider Pascal in the decision is silly as well. It's an unknown. 

Just now, App4that said:

Because if they're considering the upgrade, there's a reason. Nothing is lost ether way in the end. If they're not ready monetarily then yeah, silly to force it. But to even consider Pascal in the decision is silly as well. It's an unknown. 

thats why i said WAIT for pascal

not BUY pascal

wait because if its good, then buy it, and if it isnt, then get a cheap 980ti used

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thats why i said WAIT for pascal

not BUY pascal

wait because if its good, then buy it, and if it isnt, then get a cheap 980ti used

Waiting until a specified date, is different than waiting for an unknown period of time.

Puts you smack dab in "if" territory. That place is chaos. 

Worry about now. Do they need to upgrade. Can they afford the upgrade. And which upgrade if the choose to do so best matches their needs. None of this "if" silliness.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Waiting until a specified date, is different than waiting for an unknown period of time.

Worry about now. Do they need to upgrade. Can they afford the upgrade. And which upgrade if the choose to do so best matches their needs. None of this "if" silliness.

That's right. Really the only worth while upgrade over the 780ti which is 970ish territory is the 980ti, which is uber expensive and not worth it if your performance is fine.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

2 hours ago, App4that said:

its not more than two years away for sure

probably not more than one either

even if for some magical unicorn reason it takes two years, the 780ti will last him til then just fine

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

its not more than two years away for sure

probably not more than one either

even if for some magical unicorn reason it takes two years, the 780ti will last him til then just fine

That's subjective though. Technically my 290 could have lasted me, but I'm immeasurably happier with the 980ti. Saying not to get it because of your view is a disservice to the OP. Leave it up to them. 

i wouldnt do it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR