AMD Reveals First Virtualized GPU Hardware: FirePro S7150 and S7150 x2 Server GPUs

ahhming

FirePro_S7150x2_FrontView_RGB_5inch_w_60

PtXaKyN.png

AMD announced a new series of FirePro graphics cards, the AMD FirePro S7150 and S7150 X2. These GPUs are meant to be a hardware-based solution for virtualized environments and remote workstations for cloud gaming, computing and Virtual Desktop Infrastructures (VDIs). The AMD FirePro S-series graphics cards offer multi-user support for enhanced graphics performance in a virtualized environment.

The FirePro S7150 which is based on the Tonga XT GPU core and features 2048 stream processors. The card have  8 GB of GDDR5 VRAM 256-bit bus interface and has a TDP of 150W which is delivered by a single 8-Pin power connector. The card will be able to handle 16 users (per card) in a Virtualized environment and comes in both active and passive cooling options. The FirePro S7150 has a retail price set at $2399 US.

The S7150 X2 on the other hand, are the first Tonga based Dual GPU offering. The FirePro S7150 x2 packs two full Tonga chips on board its PCB. It has 2048 stream processors per core which round up to 4096 stream processors on the board itself, the exact same number of stream processors are featured on AMD’s flagship Fiji XT GPU core. The card packs a whole 16 GB of GDDR5 VRAM (8 GB per GPU) and has a 256-bit bus interface. The card comes in a 265W. It will be available in passive cooled options only and be able to support maximum of 32 users. The FirePro S7150 x2 has the price set at $3999 US.

AMD-FIREPRO-S-SERIES-BLOCK-DIAGRAM_w_450

AMD’s Multiuser GPU technology, based on SR-IOV (Single Root I/O Virtualization), a PCI Express standard:

• Delivers hardware GPU scheduling logic with high-precision quality of service to the user.
  • Preserves the data integrity of Virtualized Machines (VM) and their application data through hardware-enforced memory isolation logic preventing one VM from being able to access another VM’s data.
  • Exposes all graphics functionality of the GPU to applications allowing for full virtualization support for not only graphics APIs like DirectX and OpenGL but also GPU compute APIs like OpenCL.

Source:

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/amd-firepro-s1750-firepro-s7150x2-hardware-virtualization,1-3129.html

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-reveals-worlds-2016feb01.aspx

Sweet stuff, I like it.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Passive cooled AMD card my ass. It'll start nuclear fission if they don't put a fan on it, I don't trust them.

/s

4 minutes ago, TheCovertCamper said:

Passive cooled AMD card my ass. It'll start nuclear fission if they don't put a fan on it, I don't trust them.

/s

they rely on server case airflow, which is more than enough

this is awesome, first GPU to allow multiple clients / card

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

1 minute ago, PCgamer324 said:

they rely on server case airflow, which is more than enough

this is awesome, first GPU to allow multiple clients / card

Oh yeah, no doubt. I can't wait for the 395x2 that will hopefully come from this. The 295x2 is already a beast. I won't buy one, but it's still a really awesome card. I have always like FirePro's more than Quadro cards.

Just now, TheCovertCamper said:

Oh yeah, no doubt. I can't wait for the 395x2 that will hopefully come from this. The 295x2 is already a beast. I won't buy one, but it's still a really awesome card. I have always like FirePro's more than Quadro cards.

I;ll just be happy if the fury X2 comes out in a timely manner

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Just now, PCgamer324 said:

I;ll just be happy if the fury X2 comes out in a timely manner

The Fury X2 will be better, technically the 390x crossfire card exists from PowerColor but they all  seem to go bad after a little while.

32 minutes ago, Lotus said:

A passively cooled 265W dual core GPU? Are you kidding me?!

As said above, it relies on the airflow through the server which is far more significant than the case you have at home. 

i want linus to benchmark that in order to illustrate how its tuned...do you think amd would play ball?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

2 hours ago, TheCovertCamper said:

Erm... this would not be a 395x2 on the Gamer side... this would be a "385x2". This is Tonga (2048 cu per GPU), not Fiji.

10 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

i want linux to benchmark that in order to illustrate how its tuned...do you think amd would play ball?

I think you mean "I want Linus...", not Linux ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I just want to say, excellent post @ahhming! :D

Now you're starting to creep me out, going around and spamming that. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, TheCovertCamper said:

First of all; this is tonga. Not hawii, and certaintly not fiji. And how does this equate to a new consumer multi gpu? Aside from that, there wont be a 395x2, there would be a fur x2.

- snip-

6 hours ago, RexinOridle said:

So a 380X with more ram (ECC), firepro bios and drivers?

Believe its the same chip as the 280x...

the 200-300 series is so messy i cant even.

- snip-

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Erm... this would not be a 395x2 on the Gamer side... this would be a "385x2". This is Tonga (2048 cu per GPU), not Fiji.

390 is not Tonga, my bad. I just know it's not Fiji. You are right, though it'll be kind of like a "385x2."

42 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

No, it's the same GPU as the 380X. Same number of shaders as the 280X, but some changes in other areas. Similar performance, newer features and lower power consumption. 

4 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

The 280x is Tahiti, not Tonga. The 380x is Tonga. The 380x is NOT a rebrand of the 200 series, in any form. It has the same number of CU's as the 280x, but it's a different architecture revision, with key differences in the actual silicon.

I know AMD makes it a bit confusing, but the information is out there to confirm this.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

No, it's the same GPU as the 380X. Same number of shaders as the 280X, but some changes in other areas. Similar performance, newer features and lower power consumption. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So the so called 395X2 should be out already, specially since Polaris is on the way soon. What about dual top-end Polaris GPU when would that come heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, RexinOridle said:

So a 380X with more ram (ECC), firepro bios and drivers?

and virtualization support.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So the so called 395X2 should be out already, specially since Polaris is on the way soon. What about dual top-end Polaris GPU when would that come heh.

the 390x2 is out. although that is a specific one-off by Powercolor. They made their own thing. Independent of the other board partners.

AMD themselves are ONLY official making the Fury X2

20 minutes ago, Prysin said:

the 390x2 is out. although that is a specific one-off by Powercolor. They made their own thing. Independent of the other board partners.

AMD themselves are ONLY official making the Fury X2

Yeah I know about it but it's tow 390s and 395X2 should be two Fury X's

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |