Umm... Should I have morals??

Freeeeezy

Ok, so I recently bought an Adata SP550 120GB SSD for my PC, got home, got my package, and inside is an SP900 512 GB SSD!!! Checked the invoice and I definitely did not pay for it, and I don't really plan on saying anything (Unless theres something wrong with the drive) but should I? 

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

no

not enough good things happen in life

enjoy it while you can

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

Ok, so I recently bought an Adata SP550 120GB SSD for my PC, got home, got my package, and inside is an SP900 512 GB SSD!!! Checked the invoice and I definitely did not pay for it, and I don't really plan on saying anything (Unless theres something wrong with the drive) but should I? 

Depends on who you ordered it from. Some companies will let you keep it and give you something extra for being honest.

Just now, Rune said:

Depends on who you ordered it from. Some companies will let you keep it and give you something extra for being honest.

i got a wrong package once and i called and they said i can keep it

1010011010/29A

The thing is, the reason you got a different drive is probably that they are selling refurbished drives as new and one of the employees screwed up the box. It's possible that they are the ones who tried to screw you over in the first place.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would tell them, but it generally doesn't work out in my favor.  Usually it is more of a headache but I do it anyway because I believe it is the right thing to do.

I would call, but you're not a horrible human being if you don't. It's kinda like finding money on the ground when nobody else is around, you just got lucky because someone else made a mistake.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Personally, I'd let them know. I'd rather lose the drive and be in the clear than have problems further down the road - this (and by "this" I mean whether you can face any legal repercussions because of this) of course depends on your local laws. Please note that it's not "unsolicited merchandise" or something like that, it's a shipping error. In some countries you can actually keep unsolicited goods without paying for them, but in the case of shipping errors, legal situation might be different. 

Also, chances are (especially if it's Amazon), that they will simply let you keep the drive with no additional charges. 

10 minutes ago, Rune said:

Got it from Amazon. I know they're probably not gonna make me send it back, but I doubt they'll give me anything more lol. Literally quadruple the storage I payed for haha

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Rahnie said:

Personally, I'd let them know. I'd rather lose the drive and be in the clear than have problems further down the road - this (and by "this" I mean whether you can face any legal repercussions because of this) of course depends on your local laws. Please note that it's not "unsolicited merchandise" or something like that, it's a shipping error. In some countries you can actually keep unsolicited goods without paying for them, but in the case of shipping errors, legal situation might be different. 

Also, chances are (especially if it's Amazon), that they will simply let you keep the drive with no additional charges. 

Amen.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

I'd let them know. They're not gonna give any warranty for the more expensive drive which can turn out to be crucial one day. Someone may have gotten the drive you ordered and they'd definitely contact them from which Amazon might deduce that you got the wrong drive and call you out. You may have lucked out but think of it, if your happiness hinges on other people's mistakes and misfortune, you're the unlucky one. Also it feels super awesome to be a GG.

9 minutes ago, EpicAdom said:

... It's kinda like finding money on the ground when nobody else is around, you just got lucky because someone else made a mistake.

I disagree.  Generally if you find money on the ground you have no idea who dropped it.  There is also no way to find out.  Even worse, if you start asking people if they dropped money they will lie and say yes.  He knows who sent him the wrong size drive.

if you call them chances are they will tell you to keep it because it will cost more to restock and resend the the correct one thus not worth it.

up to you if you care to notify them or not.

2 minutes ago, DBX_5 said:

if you call them chances are they will tell you to keep it because it will cost more to restock and resend the the correct one thus not worth it.

up to you if you care to notify them or not.

The drive he got is four times the price of the one he bought. I doubt they would consider that "not worth it".

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

In my opinion you should notify the retailer. You may end up with legal problems in the near future if you don't (even if the chance of that actually happening is very unlikely, you're better safe than sorry.) And like others said, they may let you keep it anyway.

Its your choice, though. Do you want to do the right thing-notifying the retailer-or do you want to do the wrong thing-keep it and act like you received the correct item, which may end up causing more problems than necessary. You decide.   

15 minutes ago, J-man said:

I disagree.  Generally if you find money on the ground you have no idea who dropped it.  There is also no way to find out.  Even worse, if you start asking people if they dropped money they will lie and say yes.  He knows who sent him the wrong size drive.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I think you understand what I'm trying to say. If not, my bad.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

34 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

The drive he got is triple the price of the one he bought. I doubt they would consider that "not worth it".

think your forgetting how much it actually costs to ship it to someone and how much it actually costs to ship back to the company have it restocked and then figure out why the wrong product was shipped in the first place. its these behind the scenes events that will either match the price of the bigger ssd or exceed it greatly thus making it not worth the time, money or effort on either parties side. Not to mention the inconvenience and lack of quality assurance this does to the customer this can lead to loss of clientèle as well.

Amazon didn't get big from messing around with peoples orders they got big for providing their clients with what they want when they want and how they want it even if it may come at a bit of expense on their side, but lets be honest for all the savings you may be getting on one product you are probably losing it on another and thats how amazon makes their money.

btw a loss of a 130$ on one product means very little to a company that sells billions of products a year for billions of $.

52 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

I'd let them know. They're not gonna give any warranty for the more expensive drive which can turn out to be crucial one day. Someone may have gotten the drive you ordered and they'd definitely contact them from which Amazon might deduce that you got the wrong drive and call you out. You may have lucked out but think of it, if your happiness hinges on other people's mistakes and misfortune, you're the unlucky one. Also it feels super awesome to be a GG.

If someone gets the drive I ordered, I doubt the first thing they think about is a drive swap situation. They're just gonna send that guys the right drive. Plus I'm pretty sure they can't really tell which one they sent to me. The inventory sticker with it's ID they stuck on it is for the drive I ordered. It was just on the wrong box.

9 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

If someone gets the drive I ordered, I doubt the first thing they think about is a drive swap situation. They're just gonna send that guys the right drive. Plus I'm pretty sure they can't really tell which one they sent to me. The inventory sticker with it's ID they stuck on it is for the drive I ordered. It was just on the wrong box.

Just enjoy the drive. 

Ok guys, thanks for the feedback! Good to see other peoples views on morality, but I don't think I'm gonna say anything. Guess I got lucky hahaha, hope this doesn't come to bite me in the ass!

1 hour ago, Freeeeese said:

The great debate - ethics and morals. 

OP If you really need to ask this question you already know the answer. ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If you keep it, the sky person will get you.