How to increase performance in single core game?

Krzych

Hi,

I play Lord of the Rings Online quite often and this game, being very, almost 9 year old, is not optimized for multi core utilization. It uses single core, disabling remaining three cores through setting affinity in task manager doesn't make big difference, maybe 10%. Overclocking CPU is helping a lot, while overclocking GPU gives no results, it is not utilized in even half and mostly sits on 1.005 voltage and 1139 clock. I have i5-4690K, currently 4,5 GHz 1.27V, GTX 980 Ti and 8 GB 2400MHz RAM. Problem is that for about 4 years devs are releasing content that is too demanding for single core and you get very bad performance on whatever system you have, because game will use only one core anyway. There is some discussion going on on game forums about performance problems so I made some benchmarks, you can see them here. As you can see, overclocking CPU is helping significantly by reducing FPS drops and increasing average FPS, but it is still far from comfortable. I tried to push CPU further to 4,7 GHz at 1,35V, but even though it was stable on 12 hour stress test, it is actually scoring noticeably lower in game than 4,5 GHz 1,27V. Lowering graphics settings doesn't help, and even if it does a little, such small performance gain is very not proportional to visual quality loss.

My question is what else can I do to increase performance in this single core game? I don't know, binding one core to game and forbid anything else from using this core, whatever that can help increase performance, because its just bad. And there is almost certainly no hope for game optimization or update.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

Not much, Skylake has a form of reverse hyperthreading I heard to help with this.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Krzych said:

I don't know, binding one core to game and forbid anything else from using this core, whatever that can help increase performance, because its just bad.

Afaik that won't help. I see you've been asking on OC.net w/o success. Have you tried some older drivers?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Afaik that won't help. I see you've been asking on OC.net w/o success. Have you tried some older drivers?

So far I didn't ask anywhere else than here. Maybe its another angry LOTRO player:) And I never tried older drivers, I don't think it will help, and even if it does, LOTRO is one of my favorite games but not only one and I cannot use old drivers just because of this game or even worse - install other drivers every time I want to play.

Ehhh, this game is hopeless. 

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

1 minute ago, Krzych said:

So far I didn't ask anywhere else than here. Maybe its another angry LOTRO player:) And I never tried older drivers, I don't think it will help, and even if it does, LOTRO is one of my favorite games but not only one and I cannot use old drivers just because of this game or even worse - install other drivers every time I want to play.

Ehhh, this game is hopeless. 

Figured that someone with username Krzych04650 might be you. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club/5340

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There's nothing you can do. Even if you had the CPU with the best single core performance, there's only so much a single core can do. I'm not familiar with LOTRO, but sometimes it's not even possible to multi-thread games due to API limitations. Guess it's not the case here, since you said they added some content later on that made the game more demanding, so they probably figured it's not worth it to multi-thread it.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

34 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

That was a myth proven to be debunked afaik.

Really? Any link to it?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

12 minutes ago, Monarch said:

There's nothing you can do. Even if you had the CPU with the best single core performance, there's only so much a single core can do. I'm not familiar with LOTRO, but sometimes it's not even possible to multi-thread games due to API limitations. Guess it's not the case here, since you said they added some content later on that made the game more demanding, so they probably figured it's not worth it to multi-thread it.

They added some DX10/11 features like dynamic foliage shadows, AO, interactive water and such things, but this is not a problem, older areas are running very well even on maxed out settings. Problem is that they, in their incompetence, crossed single core limitations while developing new regions and revamping older ones and its now running very bad in many places. And they are still developing unoptimized content like they are unaware of those performance issues. Or maybe their human eye cannot see more than 30 FPS, I don't know. And of course there is no hope for optimization or multi core support, because one - they are most likely unable to this, and two - they don't have enough resources. They don't even have enough resources for proper forum moderating, developers of MMO based on one of the most popular stories in the world, mind you.

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Really? Any link to it?

On 9/21/2015 at 10:45 AM, Glenwing said:

The "reverse hyperthreading" does not exist, it was a completely made-up rumor based on pure speculation, which has already been retracted by the original source of the rumor. They got one strange result on a single section of one benchmark, and started jumping to conclusions, which ultimately turned out to be completely wrong. They were corrected by Intel themselves at the IDF event where Skylake was officially covered.

Original source of the rumor: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Skylake-mit-inversem-Hyper-Threading-2779793.html
Later update from same source: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/IDF-2015-Intel-enthuellt-ein-wenig-die-Skylake-Architektur-2784862.html
Translated:

Inverse Hyper-Threading, as speculated here due to strange measurement results, is not supported by Skylake. Other improvements are responsible for the sometimes considerable acceleration of single-thread applications

Disable you cores through the bios

then up vcore to 1.35 volts and try for 4.8 ghz should be relatively easy to hit once u have disabled the others cores in the bios 

also what I have found with mmos that use one core is even tho ur not gpu bound lowering the settings does help because the CPU still has to send instructions to the gpu 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

36 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Disable you cores through the bios

then up vcore to 1.35 volts and try for 4.8 ghz should be relatively easy to hit once u have disabled the others cores in the bios 

also what I have found with mmos that use one core is even tho ur not gpu bound lowering the settings does help because the CPU still has to send instructions to the gpu 

Leaving only one core enabled decreases performance in game by about 15-20%, so all of this overclocking become pointless. System need something too, so I need two cores enabled.

Is it easier to achieve high overclock if I overclock only one core or two cores, while disabling other 2?

Can overclocking RAM help?

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Krzych said:

Leaving only one core enabled decreases performance in game by about 15-20%, so all of this overclocking become pointless. System need something too, so I need two cores enabled.

Is it easier to achieve high overclock if I overclock only one core or two cores, while disabling other 2?

Overclocking ram can help with CPU bottle neck and try2 cores at 4.8 at 1.35 volts 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

I have a 4690k (stock clocks), I had a GTX 660 back when I played LOTRO. I never had any troubles running it on full blast at 1080p.

This was a while ago though. At least two years now. Have things changed that much?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, Krzych said:

Disabling cores should have no effect, if anything I would expect it to run worse (forcing all processes of your OS onto one core + the game). You could try setting the core affinity for the game to a relatively unused core.

Aside from that, since you're running a 980Ti try playing the game with DSR enabled. If you're on a 1080p monitor it'll play in 4k. Lower some of the details and see if transitioning a decent chunk of load to the GPU makes a difference.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Overclock balls to the wall, 5ghz or go home and stop caring.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have a 4690k (stock clocks), I had a GTX 660 back when I played LOTRO. I never had any troubles running it on full blast at 1080p.

This was a while ago though. At least two years now. Have things changed that much?

I don't know how far you gone with content, but game is running fine before entering Rohan, except few places on the way. But Rohan and Gondor is complete disaster and it was like this from their release. GTX 660 is enough for this game, I wouldn't be surprised if it also gets bottlenecked by single core. R9 270X was bottlenecked when I was playing in this card, never reached 60% of usage while FPS was jumping all around the place from 20 to 60 in Rohan cities and villages. I also don't know when Bree was revamped, but it used to run at 100 FPS+, and now... just check my benchmark linked in first post, this is from bree. Dips to even 26 FPS on stock CPU. 

1 hour ago, runit3 said:

Disabling cores should have no effect, if anything I would expect it to run worse (forcing all processes of your OS onto one core + the game). You could try setting the core affinity for the game to a relatively unused core.

Aside from that, since you're running a 980Ti try playing the game with DSR enabled. If you're on a 1080p monitor it'll play in 4k. Lower some of the details and see if transitioning a decent chunk of load to the GPU makes a difference.

I am on 1440p monitor, but this game is highly incompatible with DSR. Everything gets blurry and UI is practically gone, completely unreadable. Its very small even on native 4K. 

I will play around a bit more with some ideas. 

But one question is still unanswered, can I enable one or two core only for the game and forbid anything else of using them to make sure that this core is 100% available only for game?

Spoiler

I tried few things but it looks like I cannot do much more than overcloking, setting affinity to third and fourth core(works noticeably better than setting affinity to first and second core) and setting high priority. I got some good and not that good results. There you can see some improvement, even significant one, but performance is still bad and hopeless. But for example here there is amazing improvement, from average 45 FPS and 90% of measurements being below 60FPS, to average 59 FPS and only 20% below 60. So there is some hope that majority of unoptimized places will now run on somehow acceptable framerate. All benchmarks were made while running or riding horse on high speed, so performance will get even better if I just walk in such bad performance places instead of running.

Thanks for any help, I didn't expect so many replies. I hope that you are in love will better optimized games, good luck:) 

Spoiler

By the way, which CPU has the best single core performance? Is it possible to get something noticeably better than 4690K 4,5 GHz?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Krzych said:

By the way, which CPU has the best single core performance? Is it possible to get something noticeably better than 4690K 4,5 GHz?

Right now the best is Skylake (i5-6600K/i7-6700K), but it's only slightly better than Haswell so I doubt it would make much difference.

23 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Right now the best is Skylake (i5-6600K/i7-6700K), but it's only slightly better than Haswell so I doubt it would make much difference.

Thats what I thought. Maybe some new CPUs will change something on this matter, but I don't expect this to happen, they will rather to go into multi core even more without increasing single core performance.

Anyway, thanks for all replies, I got all answers I needed. 

Spoiler

Skylake + fast ram + OC both? :D (Haswell will probably do fine to)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

On 2/1/2016 at 5:34 PM, Krzych said:

Hi,

I play Lord of the Rings Online quite often and this game, being very, almost 9 year old, is not optimized for multi core utilization. It uses single core, disabling remaining three cores through setting affinity in task manager doesn't make big difference, maybe 10%. Overclocking CPU is helping a lot, while overclocking GPU gives no results, it is not utilized in even half and mostly sits on 1.005 voltage and 1139 clock. I have i5-4690K, currently 4,5 GHz 1.27V, GTX 980 Ti and 8 GB 2400MHz RAM. Problem is that for about 4 years devs are releasing content that is too demanding for single core and you get very bad performance on whatever system you have, because game will use only one core anyway. There is some discussion going on on game forums about performance problems so I made some benchmarks, you can see them here. As you can see, overclocking CPU is helping significantly by reducing FPS drops and increasing average FPS, but it is still far from comfortable. I tried to push CPU further to 4,7 GHz at 1,35V, but even though it was stable on 12 hour stress test, it is actually scoring noticeably lower in game than 4,5 GHz 1,27V. Lowering graphics settings doesn't help, and even if it does a little, such small performance gain is very not proportional to visual quality loss.

My question is what else can I do to increase performance in this single core game? I don't know, binding one core to game and forbid anything else from using this core, whatever that can help increase performance, because its just bad. And there is almost certainly no hope for game optimization or update.

Thanks in advance for any help,

XCpu upgrades or overlooking are your only options. Of course that is assuming your pc is being seriously bottleneck by your Cpu.