Wiring up Cat 6 wall plates

PeggersXtreme

Hi Guys,

So over the weekend my dad wired up some cat 6 wall plates for my new room however he used the T568-A method as opposed to the T568-B now he's concerned if he's done it wrong as we have read it is better to use T568-B can someone with experience of this please tell me the difference and if or not it will effect performance the way my dad has done it. I am using cat 6 cables and they start with orange white cables in the RJ45 Plug.

Thanks

cat-6-wiring-diagram-1000ft-of-quad-shield-RG-6-is-about-60-at-monoprice.-RG-11-is-lower-loss-but-more-expensive-and-not-common-for-resid.jpg

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

As long as both ends are terminated in the same way, it shouldn't matter. The majority of wires and wallplates will use the B pattern, but there's no difference in performance. 

What would matter is wiring one end in A and the other in B. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

As long as both ends are terminated in the same way, it shouldn't matter. The majority of wires and wallplates will use the B pattern, but there's no difference in performance. 

Yeah ours had both A and B so we used a video on youtube to wire it up but it must have been an old video because it used the A method

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Mainly it's just to make sure it's done the same way every time so if somebody else looks at it they can tell at a glance if it isn't done correctly. Inside the jacket is just copper at the end of the day. The twist helps data travel further, the last inch of twist imo won't make a world of difference.

If it's already done then just run some tests and verify if it is acceptable speeds and latency.

@Oshino Shinobu

What would matter is wiring one end in A and the other in B. 

'Crossover' Is when 1 termination is T-568A & the other is T-568B.  afaik, T568B offers backward compatibility with USOC and is newer so I normally crimp cables that way.

T568A is normally for residential properties but T-568B is normally for enterprise.

However I would keep your household just one wiring scheme because it can degrade signal quality.

1 minute ago, IPickle said:

'Crossover' Is when 1 termination is T-568A & the other is T-568B.  afaik, T568B offers backward compatibility with USOC and is newer so I normally crimp cables that way.

T568A is normally for residential properties but T-568B is normally for enterprise.

However I would keep your household just one wiring scheme because it can degrade signal quality.

The cables were bought from Amazon and they are crimped the same method as B but we have wired the plates up the same way as A so will this cause issues my speeds are around 11ms ping 207mb/s down and 12mb/s up

Instruction-Of-Ethernet-Cable-Wiring-Diagram-Rj45-Connection-Diagram.png

Custom PC:

It really shouldn't matter too much. However. you may want to get a crossover cable instead of a patch cable from the keystone jack to your PC (Well, I assume it will be your PC)

I'm guessing you are near London with internet speeds that high? I'm getting 56 dn / 16 up in Leighton Buzzard

2 minutes ago, IPickle said:

It really shouldn't matter too much. However. you may want to get a crossover cable instead of a patch cable from the keystone jack to your PC (Well, I assume it will be your PC)

Yeah depending on what motherboard I end up with once I decide which platform to stay with I may end up using two ethanet cables to my pc if I use msi's double shot feature

Custom PC:

That shouldn't be too much of an issue. if worst comes to worst, get a T-568A patch cable

1 minute ago, IPickle said:

I'm guessing you are near London with internet speeds that high? I'm getting 56 dn / 16 up in Leighton Buzzard

Na East Midlands :) use to get 0.5mb/s on the old copper but I have Virgin Fibre now it's ok accept it goes down way too often about once a week at least did consider moving to BT but they can only offer 50-70mb/s but that would be enough for my needs as they have way better ping at only 2ms

Custom PC:

Think of it like RCA wires; red, white and yellow. The colors are just to guide you. They are all the exact same cord. You can plug the yellow plug into the red hole, as long as you do it that way on both ends. 

However many ports are Auto MDI-X compatible so they can figure out which standard is which. Meaning you may not even need a crossover cable

This is one of my speed tests from earlier I think it was messed up though cause I never get speeds that high normally.

Custom PC:

5 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

This is one of my speed tests from earlier I think it was messed up though cause I never get speeds that high normally.

Didn't upload properly for some reason

speeds.jpg

Custom PC:

5 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

-snip-

you showed your IP

Just now, IPickle said:

you showed your IP

yeah I realised that I did blur it out removed it now -_-

Custom PC:

3 minutes ago, IPickle said:

kek.thumb.png.f4fc0c9673a06e105c3d494ba4

Here was one of my recent Speedtests.

wow that upload speed wouldn't mind a but faster upload my download is good but my upload is rubbish lol I would be happy with 20mb/s

Custom PC:

correcting some misinformation above:

1. whether you use A or B only matters on each individual cable. As long as both ends are A or both ends are B, you have a straight-through cable. you can mix and match A and B cables together with no side effecs
  2. using T568A on one end and T568B on the other does NOT give you a crossover cable. A true crossover cable has all sets of Tx and Rx crossed over (meaning all 4 pairs) whereas a cable with A on one end and B on the other only has two of the pairs crossed (orange/white-orange and green/white-green). It just so happens that for 10Mb and 100Mb full duplex Ethernet, only orange/white-orange and green/white-green are used, hence the misconception that this is a crossover cable. For gigabit ports, you'll likely only be able to get a 100Mb link on a cable with T568A on one end and T568B on the other (you technically should be able to get 1000Mb half duplex, since that is part of the 1000BASE-T standard, but very few manufacturers implement it as an option - hence the misconception that gigabit is full duplex only)
  3. Repeating again, to make it clear: matching the "A" or "B" only matters on each cable individually. so you patch panels wired with A will work perfectly fine with the cables you bought wired with B. in fact, I haven't seen a factory made ethernet cable in a long time that wasn't "B" on both ends.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: