Titan Z or Titan X?

Hello and thank you for clicking on this topic!

I am going to be building a new system and I am wondering whether or not to but a titan z or titan x.

I am wanting the titan z as it has double precision while the titan x does not and the titan z is a dual gpu card. Even though titan x is better for gaming, I am wanting this as a workstation computer as well and my tasks need double precision. I am leaning towards the titan z side at the moment but I am not sure if it can reach 1000mhz (water cooled) and if I can find a water block (EVGA Hydro Copper is a last resort).

Any help would be appreciated! :)

why not just two titan blacks if you can find them, as they'll be faster than the titan z and a similar price. If you need double precision FPs then go for the one that actually has them, not the one that's a fancy 980ti.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I will be using it for gaming and some tasks where I will need DP for science. Also rendering

Titan Z, EK or EVGA have some waterlbocks, not sure if EVGA still makes the hydro titan Z though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, WolfDaBoss said:

Hello and thank you for clicking on this topic!

I am going to be building a new system and I am wondering whether or not to but a titan z or titan x.

I am wanting the titan z as it has double precision while the titan x does not and the titan z is a dual gpu card. Even though titan x is better for gaming, I am wanting this as a workstation computer as well and my tasks need double precision. I am leaning towards the titan z side at the moment but I am not sure if it can reach 1000mhz (water cooled) and if I can find a water block (EVGA Hydro Copper is a last resort).

Any help would be appreciated! :)

depends . Do you NEED DP ?  Maybe the titan x will benefit you because of the vram ? OR perhaps the fury x is abetter choice because of the extra FLOPS ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

There is a Fury X2 announced btw ...

[never touch a running system]

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Titan Z, EK or EVGA have some waterlbocks, not sure if EVGA still makes the hydro titan Z though

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

depends . Do you NEED DP ?  Maybe the titan x will benefit you because of the vram ? OR perhaps the fury x is abetter choice because of the extra FLOPS ?

Yes, I need DP. I was looking at the fury x but it did not have enough vram for me. I still may pick the titan x and go with some quadro for dp. What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Thorium19 said:

why not just two titan blacks if you can find them, as they'll be faster than the titan z and a similar price. If you need double precision FPs then go for the one that actually has them, not the one that's a fancy 980ti.

I want 4 gpus if I am going with kepler. That is why I am not going with two titan blacks

Just now, Sam Z Man said:

Just get whatever you feel will compensate more for what you really are missing in real life, that's really the only point of owning either of this cards.

Whoa there, easy up on the hate. Have you seen what a liquid cooled Titan X can do? You can even get a Hybrid Titan X Black now. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Whoa there, easy up on the hate. Have you seen what a liquid cooled Titan X can do? You can even get a Hybrid Titan X Black now. 

I think he's confused and doesn't realize that some people need these in their work stations, and aren't just trying to show off their giant epeen in cs:go pwning newbz.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Just now, Sam Z Man said:

Have you seen that a 980ti can do literally the exact same thing or better for 350$ cheaper.

And you haven't seen a 980ti run out of VRAM, but I have ;)

The 980ti would need a custom PCB for it to be as good as a Titan X and you would need watercooling. The titan x would beat a 980 ti anyday if watercooled

Just now, WolfDaBoss said:

The 980ti would need a custom PCB for it to be as good as a Titan X and you would need watercooling. The titan x would beat a 980 ti anyday if watercooled

Nah, in most games my Hybrid stomps a Titan X even though it's got a reference PCB. All about the lottery and the cooler.

I may go with two Titan X's and a quadro m4000 as that would provide more performance than two titan z's and an m4000 supports dp. Would that be good?

1 minute ago, WolfDaBoss said:

The thing is there are many 980ti's with custom PCB's and better coolers that beat a Titan X every day out of the box on there stock clocks, and would it really be worth it to spend a extra few hundred to watercool it for a tiny bit more performance, oh wait you're considering buying 2 of the most useless graphics cards for the money, I forgot logic doesn't apply to your brain.

1 minute ago, SkywardKkalox said:

Not even close. Especially for the applications he needs it.

I'm assuming though that the computer has an emphasis on gaming. Otherwise he would probably be using a workstation card at that budget 

I need the VRAM. Keep in mind I am going to be doing a LOT more than just gaming

1 minute ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

I'm assuming though that the computer has an emphasis on gaming. Otherwise he would probably be using a workstation card at that budget 

Somewhat of an emphasis. I can't afford an M6000 so I was looking at two titan x's and a quadro m4000

2 minutes ago, Sam Z Man said:

The thing is there are many 980ti's with custom PCB's and better coolers that beat a Titan X every day out of the box on there stock clocks, and would it really be worth it to spend a extra few hundred to watercool it for a tiny bit more performance, oh wait you're considering buying 2 of the most useless graphics cards for the money, I forgot logic doesn't apply to your brain.

You're using insults and not reading the posts you're responding to.

Hmmmm.