UPDATE: *ASUS AC68U Disapointment* Now on TP-Link Archer C9. General network issues and 1 Gbps PL are poo...

RickL

First of all, title suggests that 1 Gbps Power Line Adapters are Poo.... Im sure that half my problem is because of extension cables but even when plugged in to the next room direct to the socket, they didn't perform brilliant.

So, my network setup:

GmR4x0C.jpg

House is small, all devices basically in a vertical line with each other. Its a brand new build with plaster boards and timber stud walls.

Current Router: TP Link WDR 3600 (N600, 300mbps per 2.4ghz / 5ghz, gigabit ports)  ---    PC has TP Line Archer AC1750 PCI Express Card  -- Laptop has Intel 7260 300mbps at 2.4ghz / 5ghz. Internet speed is 30-36 Mbps Down / 5-7Mbps Up via phone line VDSL.

My PC is in the loft because it has to be :(, but its in the middle of the loft with no large items near it, its very clear. Its set up as my FTP, Plex Server, TS3 Server and in general I connect to it to Stream my Steam games and download things. I cannot hard wire it due to its location and the router cannot be moved. So iv got power-line adapters 1 Gbps but these had only yield some 10 M/Bs of transfer even though the connection states 1 gbps to the router (This is with the laptop plugged in to the router). Not good enough for me. Confirmed this with running a temp cable from the loft to the router and the transfer jumped up to between 50 and 100 M/Bs, (limiting factor then my hard-drives). On Wifi 5ghz its reaching around 117 -175 Mbps and keeps dropping connection. No good for gaming.

My laptop is sat just some 2 Meters away from the Router, on 5ghz it connects at 150-300 Mbps, so limited via the signal and the laptop card. May aswell run it on the 2.4 Ghz.

Router is now moved away from the TV and Phone to help, its now sat on a shelf around 1 meter above the TV and 50 cm to the left.

(Also, we have 2 mobile phones, ipad, TV that run on 5 ghz.)

-----

I feel that I should now upgrade my router and have currently selected the Asus AC68U (LINK)  However I have also looked at the TP Line C9 Archer (LINK) which is slightly cheaper but I am put off with being restricted to the USB 2.0 Ports rather than 3.0, not that I use them right now or intend on doing. Also the ASUS looks great!

If I upgrade the router I'll probably upgrade the laptop card also to match the rest of the network.

For the network Guru's out there, How best would YOU set this up? and if you recommend a router upgrade, what would you upgrade to?

If it's Wi-Fi that needs to be improved, then I would recommend buying access points that you can distribute in your house by ethernet to your router.

And I would also buy a switch and have all your equipment hooked up to that and just have one cable going to your router.

For Wi-Fi access points I recommend Ubiquiti AC LR or AC PRO.

Comb it with a brick

If you have Coax in your loft then I would use MOCA. It can work in conjunction with Cable and Internet Service. It will use the upper part of the spectrum on the Coax cable. The only issue with MOCA is you need compatible splitters and a moca filter on your cable line coming in to your house. Moca is similar to WiFi where its half duplex and you wont get necessarily the full amount of speed its rated for, but its suppose to work better than WiFi. 

So you could buy a better router on your ground floor to increase WiFi coverage. Run Moca up to your loft, hook the moca adapter to a switch and put a wireless access point up there. Then with the switch you can hook up any thing you want to a wired connection. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Before you use MoCA, might want to check with your cable provider (if you have one) to make sure their recievers/boxes don't use MoCA, or atleast don't use a channel of MoCA that your adapters might use.

Just now, Trikein said:

Before you use MoCA, might want to check with your cable provider (if you have one) to make sure their recievers/boxes don't use MoCA, or atleast don't use a channel of MoCA that your adapters might use.

Should have specified, if your cable provider uses whole home DVR then your probably using moca. However I think it could still work. Further more, most cable providers use 5mhz to 850mhz on the coax, Moca tends to stay above 1Ghz. If you use Satellite TV service then you need specialized moca adapters, because Satellite uses the upper frequencies. From what I read, you will have to call your Satellite provider for these adapters. Oh and ActionTec is the only supplier of Moca adapters from what I have seen, so dont be surprised if you can find any other brands.  

Very interesting!

Here in the UK I use a standard TV Aerial in the loft which already runs to all rooms including the living room. This provides the TV Signal in HD. This is definitely something I will look in to for future use and knowledge. Many thanks guys.

Iv been researching the hell out of routers since my WDR 3600 TP Link is long in the tooth, tomorrow I am collecting the Asus AC68U, getting excited for it! Since I have moved my existing router to its own shelf the WiFi signal has increased a little through the house but still was only hitting 175mpbs in the loft with the server pc.

Also, I have purchased a Netgear range extender, just set this up to the rear of the house and MY GOD this thing kicks out a signal, its actually stronger than my current router.

I'll return tomorrow with the update of the ASUS AC68U but im also going to look in to this MOCA for a possible future upgrade if required.

So, picked up my Asus AC68U tonight, Why did I not purchase this sooner?!

Old PC Wireless speed on 5ghz was 177.5 mbps, im now rocking an epic 1.3 gbps over wireless! WOW! The location has not changed for either the router or the PC. This is purely with the existing wireless PCI Card and new router.

wxShF6Y.jpg

------

On the laptop, to my surprise as I didn't think the mini PCI card could actually go this high, but thats gone from 150-300 mbps to a speed of 866.7 mbps. Simply staggering with this result.

YB5GDkg.jpg

------------------

Now, the raw testing of transfer.... not impressive but im sure its no longer the router as a bottle neck??

HELPPPPP

QcPCFSr.jpg

During a copy of a 3gb file from the PC to the Laptop (So bottle neck speed here is the laptop at 866 mbps), There is no other network traffic going through the router, nothing happening anywhere but the highest speed achieved was 23MB/Sec, and the average between 5-7 MB/Sec.

What on earth could be the issue?

1 hour ago, RickL said:

So, picked up my Asus AC68U tonight, Why did I not purchase this sooner?!

Old PC Wireless speed on 5ghz was 177.5 mbps, im now rocking an epic 1.3 gbps over wireless! WOW! The location has not changed for either the router or the PC. This is purely with the existing wireless PCI Card and new router.

wxShF6Y.jpg

------

On the laptop, to my surprise as I didn't think the mini PCI card could actually go this high, but thats gone from 150-300 mbps to a speed of 866.7 mbps. Simply staggering with this result.

YB5GDkg.jpg

------------------

Now, the raw testing of transfer.... not impressive but im sure its no longer the router as a bottle neck??

HELPPPPP

QcPCFSr.jpg

During a copy of a 3gb file from the PC to the Laptop (So bottle neck speed here is the laptop at 866 mbps), There is no other network traffic going through the router, nothing happening anywhere but the highest speed achieved was 23MB/Sec, and the average between 5-7 MB/Sec.

What on earth could be the issue?

Great to hear. Yeah, defiantly a big difference between wireless N and AC. I may have to update to an AC router eventually. 

Now I have a different issue but related to the Asus Router.....

THE F**KING THING WONT PORT FORWARD!!!! Trying many things, disabling the NAT Accelerator as suggested on their forum etc. but nothing yet :(

So, after a reboot its now opened all the ports I requested EXCEPT 9987 which is the 1 port I need for Team Speak server.

Port forwarding works differently on each router I have come across. Maybe some one with an Asus router can give you a better idea. 

Annddd last night after I had accepted that port 9987 would simply not allow itself to be open..... The 2.4 GHZ network went down randomly. 5 GHZ works fine but my older devices can now not connect.

Also the "Reboot" button on the interface does not work.

Time to investigate.

Could you include a screenshot or some record of your forwarding rules? 

Also, could be the firewall blocking it. Port 9987 is DDOS vulnerable.Try putting the PC with Teamspeak in DMZ? WAN > DMZ > Enable > Enter IP of your PC. If you plan to use as long term solution, if works, put a DHCP reservation for that IP; LAN > DHCP Server > Pick PC in drop-down > Add > Apply. 

Just had to revert back to my old router to download some firmware. I updated the firmware, came up with some weird GUI, not the same one that it it first came with but supported by ASUS. This firmware wouldn't allow a connection to my ISP despite me confirming my username, settings PPOPE etc. Nothing.

So, I read the manual to be sure...put the router in to recovery mode, connected via cable, then found out that it wants me to select a firmware file to upload to the router, it didn't say that in the manual that I need to download one first!!!

So tried rolling back, but cant get rid of this sodding new sh!tty GUI Version.

Trying again.

Just had to revert back to my old router to download some firmware. I updated the firmware, came up with some weird GUI, not the same one that it it first came with but supported by ASUS. This firmware wouldn't allow a connection to my ISP despite me confirming my username, settings PPOPE etc. Nothing.

So, I read the manual to be sure...put the router in to recovery mode, connected via cable, then found out that it wants me to select a firmware file to upload to the router, it didn't say that in the manual that I need to download one first!!!

So tried rolling back, but cant get rid of this sodding new sh!tty GUI Version.

Trying again.

---

Edit: Just tried to roll back to another 3 earlier versions of firmware direct from the ASUS Website, doesnt update at all. Cannot connect to the internet through it. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow. What a disappointment, started so well with strong signals and staggering wifi range / speed.

Back to the drawing board. First post updated subject.

I am using AC68U as well with latest Merlin firmware (never had the need to use recovery mode). The port forwarding hasn't given me any issues so far, I can access the devices I need from outside. Did you factory reset the router when doing the firmware updates/rollbacks?

The WiFi speeds are great on the router indeed, as long as your devices support it.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

It seems these are very hit and miss. Yes I ran factory re-set, I'll give it one last go tonight since I forgot to bring in to work to return at lunch.

Iv started looking at the TP-Link Archer C9 Router instead.

Actually, when I upgraded to my current TP-Link WDR 3600, I remember purchasing an ASUS router first which was returned for the TP-Link but I cant remember why! It was 2+ Years ago.

So, tried the ASUS one last time, nothing.

Purchased the TP-LINK Archer C9. Plugged in, turned on, connected to laptop, completed the quick set up guide, waited 10 mins, ran speed test.... 9.5 Mbps..... what?......... My "Normal Speed" which I check on a daily basis is 30-35 Mbps. Tried it on Wifi, the same speed, it hits a brick wall at exactly 9.44 Mbps. So, went in to router settings, disabled NAT Acceleration, re-booted, tried again. Same thing. Plugged old router back in, zoomed straight up to 32 Mbps on the internet.

WTF!?! SERIOUSLY ?!

Purchased the TP-LINK Archer C9. Plugged in, turned on, connected to laptop, completed the quick set up guide, waited 10 mins, ran speed test.... 9.5 Mbps..... what?......... My "Normal Speed" which I check on a daily basis is 30-35 Mbps. Tried it on Wifi, the same speed, it hits a brick wall at exactly 9.44 Mbps. So, went in to router settings, disabled NAT Acceleration, re-booted, tried again. Same thing. Plugged old router back in, zoomed straight up to 32 Mbps on the internet.

WTF!?! SERIOUSLY ?!

-----

Ok, Back, a reboot of the router, modem, PC,laptop. Now hitting 35.7 Mbps and the most flatline test iv ever seen. However, Port 21 has not been opened but the Teamspeak ports 9987 still refuses to be open! Oh and internal network speeds are the same as the ASUS. If anything I'd say the ASUS is stronger as that was hitting 1.3 Gbps in the loft, the TP-Link is a solid 1 Gbps.

12 hours ago, RickL said:

It seems these are very hit and miss. Yes I ran factory re-set, I'll give it one last go tonight since I forgot to bring in to work to return at lunch.

Iv started looking at the TP-Link Archer C9 Router instead.

Actually, when I upgraded to my current TP-Link WDR 3600, I remember purchasing an ASUS router first which was returned for the TP-Link but I cant remember why! It was 2+ Years ago.

My sister has the TpLink archer C7. It has been solid for her. Check to make sure the firmware is all up to date. Also, can you change the port team speak uses? I know some software you can change the port. Also, I tend to stay away from Wizards and such. Go through and check all settings. 

11 minutes ago, RickL said:

WTF!?! SERIOUSLY ?!

-----

Ok, Back, a reboot of the router, modem, PC,laptop. Now hitting 35.7 Mbps and the most flatline test iv ever seen. However, Port 21 has not been opened but the Teamspeak ports 9987 still refuses to be open! Oh and internal network speeds are the same as the ASUS. If anything I'd say the ASUS is stronger as that was hitting 1.3 Gbps in the loft, the TP-Link is a solid 1 Gbps.

you just got a bad 68u

you should have just got a new one

then put on the newest asus merlin firmware

you don't wanna use the asus retail firmware

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Just now, techguru said:

you just got a bad 68u

you should have just got a new one

then put on the newest asus merlin firmware

you don't wanna use the asus retail firmware

That would also be good advice. Bad firmware can equal a crappy product. 

I hear ya both, but i dont want to start playing around with Firmware again, not even updated this one. Until I spot a big headache of a problem, im going to leave it for a week or two (wife is due to give birth so need to ensure a sable net connection also).

But I'll look in to seeing if i can change the port... or just use mumble if that port can be opened.

• 2 weeks later...

So, updated to the latest firmware tonight as I had enough of the ports not opening for my team speak server.

Router then sh!t itself about 30 mins after the update. I originally thought wow, this is better once I updated, set everything up again. Playing World of warships for a bit after, (Note ports still did not open but thought hey, Iv got a huge benefit on the speed so im not too fused) and POW! Dam router drops wifi on laptop, wifi on phones and ipad. Couldnt log in to the GUI, tried connecting via cable, no different, turned off, turned on, held reset button, all lights appear as they should. Put the CD in to try and find the firmware recovery manager like the Asus, no such software. Couldnt even find any section on how to restore or put in to factory defaults etc.

Went and got the old WDR 3600 N600 from the atic, taking the Archer C9 back tomorrow.

ANGRY!!!!!!!!!