Is it a bad idea to take a part a PSU?

GeorgeKellow

Just make sure you don't rip any wires or puncture anything. Also make sure it's unplugged from everything. 

Unplug it, short the black and green wires together on the output to make the PSU try to drain anything left, take it apart, and then check the main filter capacitors with a multimeter before going any further.

After you unplug it from wall leave it for 10 mins for capacitors to empty.

I wouldn't advise it. If you don't know what you're doing, it can be dangerous. 

You'll want to make sure the capacitors are drained before you start touching anything. I'd say that if you don't know how to check if the PSU has any residual power in it, you shouldn't take it apart. 

Why exactly do you want to take it apart?

you do know it can kill you if you don't know what you're doing, right?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Hmmm. Yah. Apart from loosing the warranty. YOU CAN DIE.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Why exactly do you want to take it apart?

you do know it can kill you if you don't know what you're doing, right?

I'm just cleaning the fan on it to re-sell it 

I'm just cleaning the fan on it to re-sell it 

or you could just use compressed air?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

After you unplug it from wall leave it for 10 mins for capacitors to empty.

capacitors can take days to empty

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Don't have any on hand 

then blow on it

there's no reason to take it apart for cleaning

PSUs do have high voltage capacitors that can hold a serious charge for an extended period of time.  The chances of pain are extremely high, the chances of serious injury are decent (surface burns being the least worry - deep thermal burns, the kind that require reconstructive surgery are possible),  death is a remote, but conceivable outcome.

You also need to be aware that those capacitors can actually regain a portion of their charge all on their own.

http://toptinkers.com/node/41

Ideally the way to address this is by using a high wattage power resistor of suitable value and connecting it to the high voltage portion of the PSU circuitry the entire time you are working on it.

This is really the sort of basic information you should already have before going into a PSU.  Absent that sort of knowledge you probably lack the other sorts of knowledge needed to accomplish anything productive.

Generally no.  The circuit either has a safety discharge system built in, or it doesn't.  If it does then discharge to safe voltages will occur within a few minutes.  If it doesn't then the caps could hold their full charge almost indefinitely.

Yes but i suppose that there is circuit to drain all high voltage ones if power supply is new. Sure he shouldnt just go and touch everything.