Mineral oil pc w/ fish

CallMeWicki

I am almost done with the building of my mineral oil cooled pc, and before anyone else says it, i know fish do not survive well in oil. I have put a piece of acrylic in the tank mainly to decrease the amount of oil i need in my 10 gallon tank, and also because who doesn't want a fish is their computer? Pictures are soon to come when i get around to finishing the wounting of the motherboard and power supply. I am using just about the cheapest 1155 board i could find that matched my blue color scheme and a 32 gb ssd to hold the OS with an HDD with more storage that i will add later. If anyone has any questions with how i mounted it, parts, where to get mineral oil, general build questions, etc. I would be more than happy to answer.

Just no, your fish would suck into tubes, and you need to feed it!

This must be funniest/most random idea on the forum ever! :)

(you really need to know what you are doing, if you are putting it to oil)

Just no, your fish would suck into tubes, and you need to feed it!

This must be funniest/most random idea on the forum ever! :)

(you really need to know what you are doing, if you are putting it to oil)

It does sound weird with how i described it but once i post pictures it will make much more sense, it is completely;y separate from the oil/ pc

one does not simply talk about building a mimeral pc without posting pictures.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You do know that mineral oil doesn't cool that well and takes a shit ton of maintenance, it also ruins any wires that have to go into it (even the part of the wire that is out of the oil).

So you're gonna have a separate (smaller) compartment filled with mineral oil where you PC would be in? And the rest of the ten gallon tank will be filled with water and fish right?

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

It is midnight, i was cruising the forums, ill try to get them up tomorrow, i am waiting on mounting screws/ spacers to use in the mail as soon as those come in i will just have to order the mineral oil and hope to be 100% done within a week.

So you're gonna have a separate (smaller) compartment filled with mineral oil where you PC would be in? And the rest of the ten gallon tank will be filled with water and fish right?

The front 4 gallons or so will be the fish tank, the back 6 where the pc will be will be full of the oil separated by a 3/8th inch acrylic sheet i put a think layer of epoxy around to keep in place

Sounds like a plan to me, you just need to get it all sealed up, make sure they don't mix or you will have a bad time.

You do know that mineral oil doesn't cool that well and takes a shit ton of maintenance, it also ruins any wires that have to go into it (even the part of the wire that is out of the oil).

The components i have (dual core, 2.6 ghz processor) and cheap ram, motherboard, power supply, etc will not output as much heat as a gaming rig and should be able to stay cooled easily with the flow of water caused by fans i will have in there.

The front 4 gallons or so will be the fish tank, the back 6 where the pc will be will be full of the oil separated by a 3/8th inch acrylic sheet i put a think layer of epoxy around to keep in place

Oh okay, I get you. Sounds alright then. Just don't want the fish to suffer :P Make sure you keep your temperatures stable though and the fish can tolerate or adapt to the the temperatures.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Oh okay, I get you. Sounds alright then. Just don't want the fish to suffer :P Make sure you keep your temperatures stable though and the fish can tolerate or adapt to the the temperatures

It will only be a beta fish, i have had more fish and the past and they would be way to hard to take care of in this situation

The components i have (dual core, 2.6 ghz processor) and cheap ram, motherboard, power supply, etc will not output as much heat as a gaming rig and should be able to stay cooled easily with the flow of water caused by fans i will have in there.

Yea I didn't mean to make the build sound stupid because it is a really fun thing to do and really unique, I was just letting you know that it isn't very practical, especially for a gaming build which you aren't doing so no worries.

It will only be a beta fish, i have had more fish and the past and they would be way to hard to take care of in this situation

Uh, looked it up and I go betta fish which are also fighting fish unless I'm wrong. You're not going to put several in them together are you? D: 

Yea I didn't mean to make the build sound stupid because it is a really fun thing to do and really unique, I was just letting you know that it isn't very practical, especially for a gaming build which you aren't doing so no worries.

Ever since i first saw a mineral oil rig i though it was sweet and having the means to build one now i decided to do it, it was more expensive than i anticipated however. The actual pc only costed about $250 mainly from newegg, the mineral oil (6 gallons) is $120 from amazon with free shipping and accessories i am putting with it, gravel, acrylic sheets for mounting, etc. Luckily i had the fish tank already which saved be almost $100 with the light hood. In total it ended up around $400 - $500 but should look great and help with my application to Dartmouth's computer science school.

with fish? are you joking or are you sincerely putting fish in there?

please read more carefully, and many of my replies, it will only be one beta fish to add that alive feel to it.

please read more carefully, and many of my replies, it will only be one beta fish to add that alive feel to it.

edit whoops

I personally think it would be awesome, but I don't like the idea of just drowning a fish for your ammusment, so I propose and idea, you create a tank (not too big of course) to fit multiple fishes in it, yeah it won't be as cool as it going around moving around your components, but I think it's more humane

The fish will be perfectly fine, it would be as if it is living in a 3 1/2 gallon tank which is bigger than most beta fish get anyways. It is completely separate and safe from the oil they just share one side to give the look like they are in the same tank

The fish will be perfectly fine, it would be as if it is living in a 3 1/2 gallon tank which is bigger than most beta fish get anyways. It is completely separate and safe from the oil they just share one side to give the look like they are in the same tank

ok, well that's a pretty awesome idea then, definitely going to want to see this, but why only one if it's a rather large tank? just get a different kind of fish right?

It is getting late for me i will take pictures as soon as i can tomorrow and they should be up by 7:00 pm Eastern time

ok, well that's a pretty awesome idea then, definitely going to want to see this, but why only one if it's a rather large tank? just get a different kind of fish right?

The way it ia designed it has a rather small opening which would make it hard to maintain, with my experience with fish in the past a beta fish will be the best option(low maintenance and hard to kill on accident)

The way it ia designed it has a rather small opening which would make it hard to maintain, with my experience with fish in the past a beta fish will be the best option(low maintenance and hard to kill on accident)

ok then, you seem you know what you are doing

Just be sure the fish can't jump into the computer part of the tank.

I heard betas jump out of their tanks sometimes.

FX 8320@4.1Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, MSI 7870@1050Mhz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, M5A97 LE R2.0, NZXT H440, CX500M

Your rights matter because you never know when you are going to need them.

-Edward Snowden

The pictures I took are slightly over 2Mb so i cannot post them, if you know how to help me get the file size down i would appreciate it.