Looking for a Low Profile, Low Wattage GPU

Go to solution Solved by TheElt,

I'm 90% sure it's a proprietary model from Dell, not just a simple XFX or SFF PSU. Unless someone can correct me.

He has the Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor. I'm not sure there's anything on how much power is delivered from the PCIe slot, but it is a system from 2009, so not terribly old tech.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-9010_Owner%27s%20Manual3_en-us.pdf

Updates:

This is the PSU in the system (below) is this some kind of form factor? If I can pin down the form factor (SFF, TFX? I dunno), I can look for a replacement with higher wattage if necessary.

63k3d-1.jpg

The PSU is proprietary and no others will fit due to the placement of the DVD drive. Annoyingly the PCIE power draw isn't stated in the manual for the 9010, but the 9020 has a 25w limit on the x16 slot so I'd guess the 9010 has the same. If you have the system with you, the maximum power draw is listed above the slot.

You'll be limited to 25w or less power draw cards, which are very low end and abysmal price to performance

Looking for a GPU to put into my dad's prebuilt mITX system. I'm aware of the differences/TDP/performance of higher end GPUs, but I've got zero experience with low end stuff. Need help pls.

I have no experience with iGPUs, and have no way to compare (wouldn't even know where to being) the iGPU on his CPU (below) with certain low end video cards out there. 

**Should be noted that this is for gaming, but we're still talking LOW settings, just a moderately better experience than he has now.

His specs now:

Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor

CPU: i5-3550

RAM: 2GB DDR3 (Soon to be 8GB)

PSU: 240W (ew)

GPU: None

The GPU has to be:

-Low Profile, meaning low HEIGHT, not LENGTH (no R9 Nanos)

-Low Wattage

-Powered off the PCIe lane

**Update** Now looking at the 750Ti SFF, but also been looking at the NVIDIA GT 720 and new 710. My questions are:

-Are these even worth it?

-Will these be any improvement over the iGPU on the 3550?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

What do you need the GPU to do that the iGPU can't? Only real use case I can think of is multi displays because the iGPU on an i5 3550 should be adequate for pretty much any video playback.

If it's a HTPC then perhaps a tv tuner might be better suited to the PCIe slot?

I had a GT 730 (64-bit 384 CUDA edition) that played games pretty decently.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

PFFT

I have a GT 720. DONT GET IT ERMERGERSH

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

nailed it. 

Saw that one also. My only concern lies in the TDP.

I know manufacturers overestimate when they state the "Minimum PSU Requirement"

In this case, the 750Ti's minimum PSU req. is 400W. Dad's PSU is 240W. That's really iffy to me. 

Would this be a problem?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Saw that one also. My only concern lies in the TDP.

I know manufacturers overestimate when they state the "Minimum PSU Requirement"

In this case, the 750Ti's minimum PSU req. is 400W. Dad's PSU is 240W. That's really iffy to me. 

Would this be a problem?

Considering PCI-e lanes only supply 75Watts of power, and this only draws power from pcie... should be good

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

What do you need the GPU to do that the iGPU can't? Only real use case I can think of is multi displays because the iGPU on an i5 3550 should be adequate for pretty much any video playback.

If it's a HTPC then perhaps a tv tuner might be better suited to the PCIe slot?

Mentioned in the original post, I have no idea. I'm unaware of what the performance differences are between the iGPU in the 3550 and something like a GT 710, can you elaborate?

Should be noted also that this will be for gaming. Right now his gaming experience is TERRIBLE. We're talking lowest settings in games from 2009 and some things still don't appear or render correctly. I can't get my hands on it to test myself, but I've been assured by my dad's work IT guy that the PSU, RAM, etc.. is all functioning properly. 

Mentioned in the original post, I have no idea. I'm unaware of what the performance differences are between the iGPU in the 3550 and something like a GT 710, can you elaborate?

Should be noted also that this will be for gaming. Right now his gaming experience is TERRIBLE. We're talking lowest settings in games from 2009 and some things still don't appear or render correctly. I can't get my hands on it to test myself, but I've been assured by my dad's work IT guy that the PSU, RAM, etc.. is all functioning properly. 

Ah if you're gaming you definitely want something beefier then, definitely beefier than a GT 710 can offer. Those are generally intended to be cards for workstations that need extra monitors. You can find them with like 4 displayport ports which would otherwise be unusual on a card of that tier since people buying those cards don't have monitors with displayport.

If you need gaming performance then the low profile 750 posted earlier is ideal. Maybe see if there's a low profile 950 about because that will be better. Ignore the "minimum power requirement" on the box of cards like that, go read actual reviews to see actual power draw. The box is just the manufacturer covering their ass.

What system does he have? Most slim SFF systems (Such as the SFF Optiplex models from Dell) don't supply the full standard of 75w through the PCI-E slot (My Optiplex 755 has a max rating of 35w) so higher end GPUs like the 750 Ti wouldn't work and you'd be limited to cards under a certain power draw

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

remember you could also upgrade the PSU if you want to get a beefier card for gaming, its not that hard.

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

remember you could also upgrade the PSU if you want to get a beefier card for gaming, its not that hard.

I'm 90% sure it's a proprietary model from Dell, not just a simple XFX or SFF PSU. Unless someone can correct me.

What system does he have? Most slim SFF systems (Such as the SFF Optiplex models from Dell) don't supply the full standard of 75w through the PCI-E slot (My Optiplex 755 has a max rating of 35w) so higher end GPUs like the 750 Ti wouldn't work and you'd be limited to cards under a certain power draw

He has the Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor. I'm not sure there's anything on how much power is delivered from the PCIe slot, but it is a system from 2009, so not terribly old tech.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-9010_Owner%27s%20Manual3_en-us.pdf

Updates:

This is the PSU in the system (below) is this some kind of form factor? If I can pin down the form factor (SFF, TFX? I dunno), I can look for a replacement with higher wattage if necessary.

63k3d-1.jpg

He has the Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor. I'm not sure there's anything on how much power is delivered from the PCIe slot, but it is a system from 2009, so not terribly old tech.

Updates:

63k3d-1.jpg

The PSU is proprietary and no others will fit due to the placement of the DVD drive. Annoyingly the PCIE power draw isn't stated in the manual for the 9010, but the 9020 has a 25w limit on the x16 slot so I'd guess the 9010 has the same. If you have the system with you, the maximum power draw is listed above the slot.

You'll be limited to 25w or less power draw cards, which are very low end and abysmal price to performance

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Good god, that's disgustingly low.

So basically, my search is over. Nothing is worth putting in this system. Will just let it live its life in peace until it dies, then have him get a proper PC.

Funny how Luke did a video today about literally this exact topic. SFF GPUs and all. 

Thanks for the help, disappointing results, but not anyone's fault.

Really pissed because his old system was an i7-2600 in an ATX case with a 500W PSU. Literally could've just  popped in the spare 760 I have, because it would actually FIT. 

His old work IT guy had him ditch that entire system because of what was probably a single faulty component, and gave him this 9010 BS instead.

Good god, that's disgustingly low.

So basically, my search is over. Nothing is worth putting in this system. Will just let it live its life in peace until it dies, then have him get a proper PC.

Funny how Luke did a video today about literally this exact topic. SFF GPUs and all. 

Thanks for the help, disappointing results, but not anyone's fault.

Really pissed because his old system was an i7-2600 in an ATX case with a 500W PSU. Literally could've just  popped in the spare 760 I have, because it would actually FIT. 

His old work IT guy had him ditch that entire system because of what was probably a single faulty component, and gave him this 9010 BS instead.

It's definitely worth looking in his PC just to make sure, but if it is a 25W limit the only thing you could really do is see if a low profile 750/750Ti exists with a 6-Pin cable, find a way to wire it into the PSU and then tweak the BIOS so it only pulls 25W from the socket and the rest from the 6-Pin, but that would be a lot of work if there's even a card that would do it.

Welcome to OEM SFF machines, it's a stupid limit but there's nothing you can do about it, only the full sized towers have 75W capable x16 slots IIRC

You could get a new case and transfer the parts or keep the psu outside the case

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

You could get a new case and transfer the parts or keep the psu outside the case

New case means that I have to buy a new PSU as well, that'll be harder to convince him that he needs to spend even more $$$.

Plus, his current machine is on loan from work's IT company. I can add more Memory and maybe a GPU (as we're discussing here), but taking the guts out and moving them to a new case is something I don't think they'd take kindly to.

Looking at it now, the motherboard seems to be a proprietary size, god damn this f**king thing.

Will probably try and convince him to get a Node 202 and slap some halfway decent parts in it when this current build dies.

I had a GT 730 (64-bit 384 CUDA edition) that played games pretty decently.

NO.

GTX 750 minimum or GTFO.

Linus is my fetish.

NO.

GTX 750 minimum or GTFO.

So helpful, thanks.

NO.

GTX 750 minimum or GTFO.

Its better than doing what I did for a while and have a PSU outside the case. It was awful and no-one should ever do it again.

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

New case means that I have to buy a new PSU as well, that'll be harder to convince him that he needs to spend even more $$$.

Plus, his current machine is on loan from work's IT company. I can add more Memory and maybe a GPU (as we're discussing here), but taking the guts out and moving them to a new case is something I don't think they'd take kindly to.

Looking at it now, the motherboard seems to be a proprietary size, god damn this f**king thing.

Will probably try and convince him to get a Node 202 and slap some halfway decent parts in it when this current build dies.

I have a Optiplex 980 SFF and I ended up having to replace the entire mobo to get it into a new case.

So helpful, thanks.

Sorry, these videos will explain why I said what I did:

Linus is my fetish.