Why does Minecraft stutter so much?

AstroBenny

I hate to be that guy who plays Minecraft but I haven't really touched it in a while but now I remember why!

It runs awfully :(

Sometimes on a Vanilla world I can get upwards of 500fps but it will still stutter.

Other times I'll struggle to get over 60fps but the game still stutters regardless.

I'm referring to stuttering in the sense of "juddering" every few seconds or so.

I've installed Optifine and it's greatly improved but it still stutters every 10 seconds or so regardless of fps..

I had the same issue on my last PC and the issue is present on my current system so this seems to be a universal problem..

How could anyone even play the game in its unmodified state? It's awful..

Specs:

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz

GTX 970

Maximus VII Hero

AX760i

Windows 10

AM I THE ONLY ONE??

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Because minimum fps dips when shit loads. Java things. 

Runescape stutters too even though it runs at 50 fps and on a beast of a computer. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

java is the reason

edit: woooo 1000th post

Congrats. But how can I improve it?

I use Java 64-bit, installed a secondary drive. I've got some graphical mods and overall the game is smooth. It does lag, for a moment, if it has to render a spawn something huge.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Congrats. But how can I improve it?

Have you watched your GPU usage while playing it? Sometimes the drivers won't recognize Minecraft as a game and won't give it the horsepower needed to run smoothly.

This is just my guess, I'm not an expert by any means.

go to edit profile and REMOVE "Xmn=128M" from the arguments. leave everything else alone

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

I hate to be that guy who plays Minecraft but I haven't really touched it in a while but now I remember why!

It runs awfully :(

Sometimes on a Vanilla world I can get upwards of 500fps but it will still stutter.

Other times I'll struggle to get over 60fps but the game still stutters regardless.

I'm referring to stuttering in the sense of "juddering" every few seconds or so.

I've installed Optifine and it's greatly improved but it still stutters every 10 seconds or so regardless of fps..

I had the same issue on my last PC and the issue is present on my current system so this seems to be a universal problem..

How could anyone even play the game in its unmodified state? It's awful..

Specs:

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz

GTX 970

Maximus VII Hero

AX760i

Windows 10

AM I THE ONLY ONE??

the game is badly optimised. its kinda old too. so ye.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Have you watched your GPU usage while playing it? Sometimes the drivers won't recognize Minecraft as a game and won't give it the horsepower needed to run smoothly.

This is just my guess, I'm not an expert by any means.

My utilisation of the GPU is only at 20-30% but from my understanding, Minecraft is a CPU intensive game.

However, is there a way to make sure the 970 is being utilised? :P

Look into allocating more ram if you haven't yet. 

I use about four GB and it stopped shuttering

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

My utilisation of the GPU is only at 20-30% but from my understanding, Minecraft is a CPU intensive game.

However, is there a way to make sure the 970 is being utilised? :P

Afaik if it's being output to a display through your graphics card then it has to render it with that. On a desktop that's the default. On gaming laptops, sometimes you have to actively select the graphics accelerator you want to use each time.

The reason for the stuttering is because they decided to use Java.

You need to allocate more RAM (I suggest 4GB), I'm 99% sure that will fix your problem. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Other than rewriting the game yourself in a real language, there's nothing you can really do, other than make sure you've got 4GB dedicated, vsync off, optifine installed and configured right (i think defaults are good enough though) and make sure you're not loading maps off a 5 MB/s flash drive :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Other than rewriting the game yourself in a real language, there's nothing you can really do, other than make sure you've got 4GB dedicated, vsync off, optifine installed and configured right (i think defaults are good enough though) and make sure you're not loading maps off a 5 MB/s flash drive :)

Thanks. But would increasing the memory limit to 4GB actually make a difference if the game is only using 20% of the unmodified RAM amount the game has already defined to use?

Thanks. But would increasing the memory limit to 4GB actually make a difference if the game is only using 20% of the unmodified RAM amount the game has already defined to use?

I don't know how it could be using so little, but I look at it as one of those "it can't hurt" things.  You've got enough RAM to afford giving it 4 GB, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it make a difference in the past.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

These are all good calls ^^^^^^

However, I find that with some newer GPU's, Optifine gives me worse results than without it.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Surely Mojang has enough money under their belt to make to the game playable though?

These are all good calls ^^^^^^

However, I find that with some newer GPU's, Optifine gives me worse results than without it.

I should also mention running a recent version.  They went through a pretty long period there were everything was terrible (from around 1.2.something I think - when they abolished the dedicated singleplayre "server" and introduced using the multiplayer server for everything), and when it was suddenly smooth and playable again (around 1.8 I think, may have been earlier - can't remember), it was amazing!

Surely Mojang has enough money under their belt to make to the game playable though?

$2 billion vs the infinite power of Java?  I don't know...

Also, since Minecraft downloads only 32 bit Java on almost any PC out there, you may want to download 64 bit java. This will considerably increase performance.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Also, since Minecraft downloads only 32 bit Java on almost any PC out there, you may want to download 64 bit java. This will considerably increase performance.

Yes, and for some reason that's necessary to go over (or even get to in some cases) about 2 GB of RAM usage, so if you want to dedicate 4 GB, it is a must.