How much to wire house with Ethernet cables?

AllHokage

Just curious how much would it cost to wire a house with Ethernet?

Only 2-3 room's would need it (entertainment rooms). As I'm sick of gaming on wifi and want better connection, but don't wanna spend 10K.... We are also getting NBN soon so if it could keep up with that, it would be awesome :)

(Sorry know hardly anything about networking, just seen Linus's newest video on upgrading wifi and building new house so meh)

Thanks,

Might add this later...

I really suggest trying powerline first. I mean I have no idea on the cost, I assume it depends on what your setup looks like and how much you'd have to have torn up? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I really suggest trying powerline first. I mean I have no idea on the cost, I assume it depends on what your setup looks like and how much you'd have to have torn up? 

Well wiring is easy, as house is still being built...

Might add this later...

Only 2-3 room's would need it (entertainment rooms). As I'm sick of gaming on wifi and want better connection, but don't wanna spend 10K.... We are also getting NBN soon so if it could keep up with that, it would be awesome :)

(Sorry know hardly anything about networking, just seen Linus's newest video on upgrading wifi and building new house so meh)

Thanks,

It would depend on what it costs locally, and if you need to poke holes in wall it can be a fair bit of money since you need to make patches. If you know what your doing it's not too hard to fish ethernet around the home with the purchase of a bulk sized roll and some tools.

Hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you need to physically install the wiring into the house.

You'd most likely have to rip all the walls out where you need to install wire, then buy new drywall and put it all back up.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It would depend on what it costs locally, and if you need to poke holes in wall it can be a fair bit of money since you need to make patches. If you know what your doing it's not too hard to fish ethernet around the home with the purchase of a bulk sized roll and some tools.

Yer, just looking at a estimate... Other wise I have no idea, 5k? $700?

Might add this later...

Depends how you do it. If you drill holes in the walls and run the cables outside, it's fairly easy, cheap and looks clean (assuming you're going to be using wall jacks, rather than terminating in RJ45).

I wired up 5 rooms in the house, running cable outside of the house. In total, it cost about £80 for the cable (external Cat6), backplates and RJ45 Cat6 faceplates. 

EDIT: We were having some work done on the house, so the holes and cable runs were done by professionals, then I wired up and installed the termination plates. It's not a hard job, though. 

Well wiring is easy, as house is still being built...

You'll be paying for the labor, not the materials (those are cheap).

Hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you need to physically install the wiring into the house.

You'd most likely have to rip all the walls out where you need to install wire, then buy new drywall and put it all back up.

New house so no need to rip walls...

Might add this later...

Depends how you do it. If you drill holes in the walls and run the cables outside, it's fairly easy, cheap and looks clean (assuming you're going to be using wall jacks, rather than terminating in RJ45).

I wired up 5 rooms in the house, running cable outside of the house. In total, it cost about £80 for the cable (external Cat6), backplates and RJ45 Cat6 faceplates. 

Dam so It can be done under 1K???

Might add this later...

Labor man, labor.  Get quotes.  Think at least $20 per hour of work, plus materials.

Doing it myself (with help of mate)

Might add this later...

Yer, just looking at a estimate... Other wise I have no idea, 5k? $700?

I'm not sure the cost of things in Australia but I assume it would cost a bit more than Canada and US. Here at least it would be something like $40-50/hour and material costs usually. If your walls are down though I definitely suggest doing it yourself if your handy. 

I'm not sure the cost of things in Australia but I assume it would cost a bit more than Canada and US. Here at least it would be something like $40-50/hour and material costs usually. If your walls are down though I definitely suggest doing it yourself if your handy. 

Just materials... Just want to know a price before even bothering with contacting suppliers and stuff.

Might add this later...

Dam so It can be done under 1K???

Like I said, it depends how you do it. If the house were already built and you wanted to run it through the walls, it would cost a hell of a lot for the labour. If you just ran the cables outside, it's cheap and can be done yourself. 

If the house is being built, then buy the materials yourself (I would actually go for external cable, even if it's running in the walls. It's a fair bit tougher) and get the electrician to run the cables when he's doing all the other stuff. Shouldn't really add anything to labour costs, and you can buy 200m reels of cable for <£100. 

It can very easily be done for less than 1K, even if you wired up every room. 

Should be relatively cheap then, a few hundred dollars.

Awesome, got told by some dude it was 10K....

I don't know what type of setup he had, but it had like 60 ports and like a server room of some sort (closet).  :P

Might add this later...

Thanks,

Here is the US you can get Cat5E 1000Ft for about 120 USD. THen you need the wall jacks and all that. I would check your version of Home Depot. It shouldn't be too much. Thats assuming it easy to run the cable. For instance we have a basement, so running cable on our first floor is relatively easy, while getting it up to our second floor is pretty difficult. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just materials... Just want to know a price before even bothering with contacting suppliers and stuff.

Just the materials, you're looking at $150 maybe. You'll be needing a punchdown tool to wire up the faceplates, some tool to cut off the plastic sheath from the cables (to get to the internal wires), how ever many faceplates you want/need, as well as the backplates for them (if you can, get them set into the wall, so you don't have to have boxes on the wall). Buy more cable than you think you'll need, that way you can make more runs if you want later, as well as spare if you mess up. The cable is inexpensive when bought in bulk reels anyway. 

I don't know what type of setup he had, but it had like 60 ports and like a server room of some sort (closet).  :P

The cables and ports aren't the expensive part. Things like server racks and cases get costly. If you start looking into professional networking stuff, you could be paying 10K for a single component. 

EDIT: I just wired up 5 rooms in the house, put an 8 port switch in the room where everything meets up. Connected the switch to the router. A few 4 port switches around the house and two access points. All of that was around £200 and a days work. 

It would be interesting to at least rough in a server room, run the wires;  don't buy the actual server equipment.  Might be a selling feature down the road, or a business opportunity for you even.

Oh ok, well from the looks of things not too bad. it just depends on how long of a cable run your doing, but my guess would be <$1K with the cost of materials and things like a crimper or punch tool:

http://www.4cabling.com.au/cat-6-lan-cable-with-solid-conductors-305m-box-grey.html

http://www.4cabling.com.au/networking/data-products/jacks/cat6-jacks.html

http://www.4cabling.com.au/3-way-keystone-face-plate.html

http://www.4cabling.com.au/2-in-1-crimp-and-test-tool.html

It would be interesting to at least rough a server room, run the wires;  don't buy the actual server equipment.  Might be a selling feature down the road, or a business opportunity for you even.

Wiring a house with Ethernet is essential nowadays, I'd say. Having it done well will probably be a big selling point in the future. 

The house I moved into was only built 3 years ago, but only had the line in, with no ethernet ports anywhere. In a sense it was good, because I got to have it set up the way I wanted it, but still. 

It would be interesting to at least rough a server room, run the wires;  don't buy the actual server equipment.  Might be a selling feature down the road, or a business opportunity for you even.

Yes it could.

So for the basic wiring all I need is some wall ports, Ethernet cable and a router? 

Nothing else (guess this guy had like some major stuff going down in his closet)...

Might add this later...

You can get 1000ft of Cat6 for around $100, sometimes cheaper (ex: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8102)

For in-wall just make sure it is solid core and not stranded.

You'll need the wall plates and keystones which are like a buck a piece or less if you are going with basic ones, more if you want like fancy metal wall plates. You'll prolly need to pick up a crimper for like $20 along with some RJ45 connectors which are cheap. And you'll probably need an 8 or 16 port gigabit switch too if you don't have one already.

Honestly should be able to do it yourself for like less than $200.