I'm going to buy an Android tablet in a few weeks but I'm not sure on the support.

Go to solution Solved by smeek14,

I LOVE my galaxy tab s2

Hi all,

My birthday is in a few weeks and I have decided I want to buy a tablet.

I have ruled out the iPad because I personally do not like Apple.

I have picked the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7".

I am currently watching the WAN Show and they were talking about the lack of support for many Android devices for longer than a year.

Is it a viable purchase to get the tablet and still have support for over a year?

Thanks.

-Alpha.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

you could get the Pixel C. the S2 is good thow yea 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

What about the shield tablet?

The K1 received an update to android 6.0 and is the first device to get the upgrade that isn't from the nexus line-up.

I think the newer version is the X1, maybe take a look at that, not very expensive and you get some nice hardware for the price.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Do never expect support for longer than a second with an Android device, especially not when the device is from Samsung.

Here's my opinion on tablets in general for whatever it's worth:

I could never justify more than ~$400 for a tablet because now you're getting into laptop money where you an get an actual desktop OS

If a company is going to charge $200 or $300 or $900 for a device, they had better support it for more than 1 lousy year.  And I mean actually support it - not just one update when they feel like it, but actually keeping you up on security updates at the bare minimum and features if they are nice

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Do never expect support for longer than a second with an Android device, especially not when the device is from Samsung.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

lol this is so wrong in many ways.

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

get a Surface, run a real operating system on it and play gaimz

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

you could get the Pixel C. the S2 is good thow yea 

I have looked at the Pixel C and it does look nice. I will check it out again.

The K1 received an update to android 6.0 and is the first device to get the upgrade that isn't from the nexus line-up.

I think the newer version is the X1, maybe take a look at that, not very expensive and you get some nice hardware for the price.

The K1 also looks really compelling. I have been trying to not buy a tablet online but if it is from a trusted retailer (Nvidia) I might.

I will be doing all of my research to get the best value for money and hopefully find something that will be supported for a while.

2017 Gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

get a Surface, run a real operating system on it and play gaimz

Wait, didn't you hear about the Surface and all of its problems?

The screen seized up on numerous occasions and they are way too expensive for my price range (around $600AUD)

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

The K1 also looks really compelling. I have been trying to not buy a tablet online but if it is from a trusted retailer (Nvidia) I might.

I will be doing all of my research to get the best value for money and hopefully find something that will be supported for a while.

If you can get the K1 for 200 bucks, that's as good as it's going to get.

I bought one about a month ago and it's just great. No crashes, nice screen, feels quick, exacly how it should be.

I'm not a fan of their gpu's but the K1 is a nice product.

It has only 1 problem with it tbh. No charger included! But you can charge it with any micro-usb charger you probably have :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This.

K1, by the way.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

If you can get the K1 for 200 bucks, that's as good as it's going to get.

I bought one about a month ago and it's just great. No crashes, nice screen, feels quick, exacly how it should be.

I'm not a fan of their gpu's but the K1 is a nice product.

It has only 1 problem with it tbh. No charger included! But you can charge it with any micro-usb charger you probably have :P

Yeah, I checked it out. It is really really cool.

I don't think, however, they post to Australia so bummer.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

Yeah, I checked it out. It is really really cool.

I don't think, however, they post to Australia so bummer.

Take a look at local computer stores, usually they have them in stock. Or it's sold out, that's also an option.

Wait, didn't you hear about the Surface and all of its problems?

The screen seized up on numerous occasions and they are way too expensive for my price range (around $600AUD)

umm what problems?

you don't have to get the pro... you can get the RT

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

umm what problems?

you don't have to get the pro... you can get the RT

I'm not a big fan of the Surface RT and the Surfaces that run on RT are the original Surface and the Surface 2 which run terribly.

Still, they're too much money for me to pay.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

I'm not a big fan of the Surface RT and the Surfaces that run on RT are the original Surface and the Surface 2 which run terribly.

Still, they're too much money for me to pay.

but what's the use for a tablet anyway.. to browse wi-fi? you can do that on a phone

but what's the use for a tablet anyway.. to browse wi-fi? you can do that on a phone

I want a tablet to do pretty much what my laptop is used for: Light gaming, YouTube videos, light web browsing and music playback.

I would use my phone but it is getting older and I want a portable device with a screen above 8.5".

My sister has an iPad mini with Retina Display and it has an 8" display which is too small for me. My dad thinks so as well.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

Surprised that no one mentioned the Xiaomi MiPad/MiPad 2... The MiPad was the first device to feature the Tegra K1 & it also runs on MIUI which is an awesome custom Android version made by Xiaomi... On the other hand, the MiPad 2 runs on a Atom processor (x86 architecture) & has even higher performance than the original MiPad while still being the same tablet... And the price for it is not that high as someone would expect it to be [emoji4]

Hi all,

My birthday is in a few weeks and I have decided I want to buy a tablet.

I have ruled out the iPad because I personally do not like Apple.

I have picked the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7".

I am currently watching the WAN Show and they were talking about the lack of support for many Android devices for longer than a year.

Is it a viable purchase to get the tablet and still have support for over a year?

Thanks.

-Alpha.

It depends on the manufacturer and the price. Apple has surport for more than 2 years, other manufacturers won't probably do that.

I want a tablet to do pretty much what my laptop is used for: Light gaming, YouTube videos, light web browsing and music playback.

I would use my phone but it is getting older and I want a portable device with a screen above 8.5".

My sister has an iPad mini with Retina Display and it has an 8" display which is too small for me. My dad thinks so as well.

cheap android tables are horrible I've used one $300 android tablet and it's too slow to even type on that thing and if you try to scroll a Picture based website then you get a feeling it'll explode...

either get an iPad, Surface or a flagship phone...