[CBC] Calgary man criminally charged for flying drone near airport

Mahawka

Calgary man criminally charged for flying drone near airport

What do you guys think on this ?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/calgary-man-drone-airport-criminal-charge-1.3413818

"Police have criminally charged a Calgary man for flying an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) — commonly known as a drone — in the flight path of aircraft near the airport."

"This is believed to be the first charge of its kind in Calgary, in terms of the illegal use of a UAV," said Sgt. Colin Foster"

"Foster said the 25-year-old Calgary resident was charged under the Criminal Code of Canada for interfering with a navigation facility in a manner likely to endanger the safety of aircraft.

He's set to appear in court on Jan. 28."

'tis the police in the world we live in

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I know a 25 year old Calgarian with a drone..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Would it really be that bad? I mean if the aircraft crashed into it, surely it wouldn't feel anything ... right?

If so the case, they were over reacting, it is legal to go up to 500 feet.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

He should be charged. That drone could interfere with aircraft communication, and could easily have hit a plane. If it was that close to an airport and can go that high, if it was in flight path a plane would have hit that drone

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Would it really be that bad? I mean if the aircraft crashed into it, surely it wouldn't feel anything ... right?

20000 feet maybe but an aircraft is really low for a while after it takes off and something hitting it could interfere especially if it get in the turbines. Don't want an aircraft falling over a city do we?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

20000 feet maybe but an aircraft is really low for a while after it takes off and something hitting it could interfere especially if it get in the turbines. Don't want an aircraft falling over a city do we?

Totally get your point, I was just thinking it couldn't be bad but I forgot about the turbines. Which is why I don't go on planes! xD

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

The restrictions on drones are fairly well known these days - well enough that even if you don't know exactly what they are, you know that there are a lot of them and that you should probably look them up - but the thing about airports is by far the most known of all!  And for good reason - seems to me anyone flying their drone around the airport is just asking to get arrested.  It's dangerous and stupid.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

no its illegal to fly near a airport at any altitude

and what @Clanscorpia said about the first part

The dude deserves whatever he gets. Just plain stupidity.

I live in Calgary, and there are tons of places to fly a drone safely.

The dude deserves whatever he gets. Just plain stupidity.

I live in Calgary, and there are tons of places to fly a drone safely.

Like 7th Ave right? :P

(oh god now we're going to be hearing about a drone flying into a ctrain tomorrow...)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

'tis the police in the world we live in

Police world? 

He was illegally flying an unregistered aerial vehicle near restricted airspace. Full blown helicopters don't get to just fly near a airport without clearance from the ATC, so what makes you think a quadcopter operator should be allowed anywhere near?

He was flying a Phantom, those are not small nor are they light. Even hitting a plane at takeoff or landing will cause at the very least a couple hours of shenanigans, what if one got sucked into an engine? Especially since most planes flying in and out of Calgary are twin engined only? 

It is NOT legal to go to 500 feet, as shown by Transport Canada regulations

1. The pilot operating under this exemption shall operate a UAV at or below 300 feet above ground level (AGL).

In addition, if you wish to fly your UAV in anything other than Class G airspace or closer than 9 km to the centre of any aerodrome or a built up area, you must apply for an SFOC. 

Thats from Transport Canada directly, so while a Phantom is under 2kg, it doesn't get to flaunt the laws without special licensing, which would still require Transport Canada and ATC approval. 

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/exemptions/docs/en/2880.htm for all the laws for such UAVs

Someone who purchases a UAV/drone/quad now should be well versed on their laws, including getting licensed and insured for anything more than personal use. It is NEVER legal to fly near an airport at any altitude, for any reason either. Urban use has the same restrictions, 300m altitude and 100m away from any building. My own hex has an operational altitude of 1km max, it can travel out to 3km via FPV. I don't do that however, since its illegal and I have little desire to be sued by a private party or fined 25 grand by the government. 

Im pretty sure this is against the law. He should have known better.

Ever heard of the term "bird strike"? A drone getting into one of the engines is probably just as bad, and there were enough bird induced plane crashes already, the guy deserves everything he gets sentenced on.

144Hz goodness

(oh god now we're going to be hearing about a drone flying into a ctrain tomorrow...)

Clearly the dude being charged, doesn't need any more ideas. He is making poor decisions just fine, on his own. LOL

@Mahawka you might want to add some quotes and a summary/opinion or one of the mods might lock your thread

Thanks for the tips. First time poster here. 

plane has 200+ people onboard.

one twat can cause the death of 200 human beings by being a fucking stupid piece of shit.

at what point should irresponsible "fun" of others trump dozens if not hundred of human lives?

no cause i love to see the world burn

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Aircraft are flying well above 100mph, often higher even during take off and landing. Bird strikes are a serious concern and are incredibly dangerous, and those are soft, light, and fleshy. Imagine a drone (metals, plastic, usually an explosive battery (lithium Ion) hitting an engine. Loosing an engine at takeoff is one of the most dangerous positions any pilot can be put in since you lost your only source of thrust, and you're moving very slow, and you'll have to do a full U-turn before you can attempt to land. These days it's not as big of a concern since most planes can loose an engine and still fly, but fire is now a hazard and engines are expensive.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Calgary man criminally charged for flying drone near airport

What do you guys think on this ?http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/calgary-man-drone-airport-criminal-charge-1.3413818

"Police have criminally charged a Calgary man for flying an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) — commonly known as a drone — in the flight path of aircraft near the airport."

"This is believed to be the first charge of its kind in Calgary, in terms of the illegal use of a UAV," said Sgt. Colin Foster"

"Foster said the 25-year-old Calgary resident was charged under the Criminal Code of Canada for interfering with a navigation facility in a manner likely to endanger the safety of aircraft.

He's set to appear in court on Jan. 28."

it's just like GTA

Actually if the drone got caught in an engine it could seriously damage the plane

He needs to have his head kicked in... figuratively speaking. Imagine you or a parent/sibling/partner/spouse is in an airplane that's taking off, and some jackass is flying their drone nearby for the lol's. Sure, I doubt the risk is high, but if your mom died because someone flew a drone into an engine and the airplane crashed, I'm sure any sympathy for the drone operator would be gone, and the pitchfork would come out. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Reading this while on the ctrian.