The Crimson Powerhouse (My first ever build)

Fultzy

About me:

I'm an 18 year old High school senior in Illinois

I play video games such as CS:GO, LoL, WoW, Tomb Raider, etc.

The Story:

I'd always wanted to know what was going on inside of computers and what all went into them. I've had friends who do their own maintenance on their rigs, and I wanted to join in on the fun and build my own rig. Before this I had been using an ASUS G75VW Gaming Laptop. It worked great for 5 and a half years! But as gaming is starting to become more and more demanding (not so much for the games I play), I wanted a beast, a rig that would shred through anything I could throw at it.

I had no idea what I wanted, how to get it, where to get it, what to do once I got what I needed, or how to put anything together. All I knew is that I wanted the beast of my dreams. So as any person wanting to learn about building computers would do, I hit the internet like a bat out of hell doing research, watching every damned video I could, learning, searching, and having a great time along the way. YouTube was my main source of information. I could not the LMG enough for allowing me to learn how to do what I wanted to do, and for free! The fact that all of that information is just out there for free is awesome, and it opens up so many opportunities for consumers just like me. But Linus and Luke weren't my only help. JayzTwoCents was my second hand man. Jay is fucking awesome. Love that guy.

I made the decision that I wanted a "future proof" machine. So I went with an X99 build, with SLI expand ability just in case I wanted to go enthusiast in the future. Also I didn't want to mess with water cooling, it looked complicated, and it doesn't seem right to go straight into water cooling for my first build. I know closed loop is EZ, but hey, who cares, I don't plan on overclocking for a while. So without boring you any longer, here are the parts I chose.

Key:

Where I bought it: ( )

Personal Note: [ ]

Build Start: 11/12/15

Build Completion: 1/04/16

Components:

• CPU: Intel core i7 5820k - $350   (Microcenter)
  • MotherboardMSI X99A SLI Plus - $230   (Newegg)
  • RAM2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 sticks at 2600 Mhz - $85     (Newegg)
  • GPUMSI GTX 980 Gaming Edition with Twin Frozr cooling 4GB - $430   (B&H)
  • CaseCM Storm Scout 2 Advanced Black Case - $100   (Amazon) [forgot to use your code sorry Linus]
  • Storage SSD500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III - $160   (Newegg) [with free Assassins Creed Syndicate]
  • Storage HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm Blue Drive HDD - $50     (Newegg)
  • PSUCorsair RM650x - $90     (Newegg)
  • CoolingNoctua NH-U12 S (Running 1 fan in push toward the back of the case) - $64    (Amazon) [again sorry Linus]
  •                Corsair Air Series AF120 Red LED Quiet Edition Twin Pack (2 120mm Fans) - $18      (Amazon) [ -_-]
  • Optical DriveASUS DVD Burner Black SATA - $25      (Newegg)
  • Wireless Adapter: Rosewill Dual Band Wireless N900 Adapter - $30      (Newegg)
  • OS: Windows 10 Home - $120   (Best Buy) [i was impatient and it was the last thing I needed]

Total Spent: $1,752

Some people would say that's overboard for a first time builder. I say that's it's what I wanted, so I saved up and got it. And I am happy.

Thanks for Checking out my Build! If you have any upgrade or downgrade tips, or constructive criticism please let me know! I'm brand new to the LMG community.

PS: Please don't roast me for my current peripherals, upgrades are in the immediate future.

I plan on using my sweet sweet minimum wage tax return to get a new 144hz monitor and a nice mechanical keyboard

Here are some Money shots of the "Crimson Powerhouse"

On Desk View

Window

Open Cab View

GPU Money shot

Front shot

First Time Cable Management Shot

Overhead shot

sooooooooo, how red is it? did you sacrifise a lamb to satan? pics?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Nice :) u would not spend that much of money on other components that are really not affecting my graphics actually just go as far i can with graphics but this way its good because you re futurre proofe(SLI and 16Gigs of ram thats just a very good idea)

maybe it's just me but that gpu feels out of place with some of that other gear. IMO I would not say it's a balanced built but that's just me. 

Sweet build :)

You're going to have all kinds of fun.

Plan on playing anything in 4k?

Yeah, I do. Just gotta shell out a small fortune for a new monitor in the future.  :wacko:

sooooooooo, how red is it? did you sacrifise a lamb to satan? pics?

Not as red as it will be once I get some fan splitters and LED strips.  :D

I actually thought you meant as in the AMD sw.  But still, nice build.

I can see where you made that assumption lol.

Hah, that like my system in terms of peripherals! $1300 build, old membrane board and mouse I bought a good few years ago for my laptop...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

By the way, I'm not going to roast you for your prepherals.  The mouse is actually not that bad, and I have the mouse.  Just a suggestion, watch and look around on Newegg.  I say that because you can get a rather nice refurbished Corsair K70 with cherry red MX switches for around 80 or less.  It's the easiest way to get a good keyboard for less than 100.   :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816048&cm_re=k70_refurbished-_-23-816-048-_-Product

Cool man thanks! I appreciate it