GTX 970 vs R9 390

Kendrick

Which is better for gaming at 1080p? and which brand (sapphire, evga etc)

I can't decide between 3.5 gb vRam or a card that melts.

R9 390s for 1440p - XFX or Sapphire

970 for 1080p. - EVGA

Hiya :)

Feel free to quote me in a reply so I can see your reply :)

Card that melts is a bit of an exaggeration...

End of the day, they both trade blows.

The 390 is more suited for DX12, performs better at 1440p, 8GB of VRAM and is cheaper.

The 970 has less heat and power consumption, and has NVIDIA-exclusive features such as Shadowplay.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

well, ignoring that this OP is 100% shitpost magnet...

it comes to brand specific features.

- R9 390 is more bang for buck, you have the insane amount of vram (dat skyrim yo), freesync, etc.

- GTX970 is more energy efficient, shadowplay, gamestream, g-sync, some other very specific driver features, etc.

as for brands:

- evga on the nvidia side

- msi on both

- gigabyte and sapphire on the amd side

thats roughly the best all-rounders.

well, ignoring that this OP is 100% shitpost magnet...

it comes to brand specific features.

- R9 390 is more bang for buck, you have the insane amount of vram (dat skyrim yo), freesync, etc.

- GTX970 is more energy efficient, shadowplay, gamestream, g-sync, some other very specific driver features, etc.

as for brands:

- evga on the nvidia side

- msi on both

- gigabyte and sapphire on the amd side

thats roughly the best all-rounders.

wait i thought gigabyte were a bad choice for AMD cards

theres appareanlty a lot of people that like their gigabyte amd cards, i'm not gonna debate about a product i havent used since the HD 5770, and just guess that they fixed their coolers spontaniously disintegrating.

R9 390 - superior DX12 performance, more than double the usable VRAM, slightly better DX11 performance

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Let me be honest with, I've had my 390 for about 4 months now and I'm truly impressed with what I got. I bought the gigabyte version and through the whole process I was unsure between the 2 cards and now that I have it I'm super glad that I got it. with a custom fan profile my card maxes out at 80 degrees and at the fan at 60%. so yeah I'm impressed with what I got. The temperature where I'm from is at a constant 35degrees so its quite warm. 

I own the amd version and I'm more than pleased