It turns out that uninstalling Facebook (for Android) is pretty great

Techicolors

It is great for iOS as well, seriously that damn app drains the battery like crazy, I have like 10 mins usage on screen and it has like 50 mins on background draining atleast 25% battery each day and another 25% the damn messenger so i wasted em both, and got almost half day extra battery.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

To all the people thinking that those who hate facebook are just weird: this is why.  I imagine it just filled with nothing but people like this and that only people like this would use it.  Is that an accurate pov?  Probably not, but there's your explanation

Why would it matter what OTHER people do? Facebook is about keeping up with friends, so if you feel that your friends are the kind to call the police for a Facebook outage... well that's on you and your social circle.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Same goes for Windows Phone. Uninstalling it got my battery's life back to around 34-36 hours from a crummy 8 hours with it installed and running in the background (which couldn't be disabled for some reason)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

what kinda self respecting techy even uses facebook or cares about it

Me?.. literally.. every single one of my friends? some who work for HSBC HQ programming complicated banking software? hey we facebook and skype all the time

Just because its suddenly become "cool" to hate facebook, some of us like actually keeping up with our friends who dont live in the same town anymore

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The normal kind?

Typical way of thinking, if the mayority goes crazy.. it becomes normal :P

OFF:

My fb acc has just 3 things in its cronology. My profile pic, my cover pic(none of them are photos of me) and 2 photos where I was tagged by a friend who forgot when I told him not to tag me anywhere...

I use it just for college groups, sharing tests etc.

ON: I used to have FB and messenger installed and I noticed my battery was getting hammered like crazy and RAM usage was 80%+ when idle. I uninstalled them both. Battery now lasts at least a day and RAM's 40-50% when idle, so yeah..f**k facebook.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Why would it matter what OTHER people do? Facebook is about keeping up with friends, so if you feel that your friends are the kind to call the police for a Facebook outage... well that's on you and your social circle.

It doesn't matter; I don't care what "other" people do, and one way I maintain that carefree mentality is to distance myself from things that would otherwise bother me, for example by avoiding Facebook and things like it. And don't worry none of my friends are anything like that :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It doesn't matter; I don't care what "other" people do, and one way I maintain that carefree mentality is to distance myself from things that would otherwise bother me, for example by avoiding Facebook and things like it. And don't worry none of my friends are anything like that :)

If none of your friends are like that, then you wouldn't have the experience you described in your previous post anyway.

Typical way of thinking, if the mayority goes crazy.. it becomes normal :P

because that is literally what normal is. If the majority of a group does something it is the norm of that group. :P

If none of your friends are like that, then you wouldn't have the experience you described in your previous post anyway.

au contraire, by the very nature of the way the world is these days, everyone has everyone's experience all the time! :)  You absorb an impression of things, from the news, websites, the people you see and hear around you - everything really - and it will all contribute to your "experience".  Mine has been such that I get the impression (valid or not) that Facebook is all just people like, "that".

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

au contraire, by the very nature of the way the world is these days, everyone has everyone's experience all the time! :)  You absorb an impression of things, from the news, websites, the people you see and hear around you - everything really - and it will all contribute to your "experience".  Mine has been such that I get the impression (valid or not) that Facebook is all just people like, "that".

Doesn't really matter if the rest of FB users are like that, you only connect with people you want to, and since you say they aren't, you'll never experience it :P

The facebook app is just horrible. Its a space eater on your phone.

Lot do,

Every time my bank goes down and we have literally hundreds of payment terminals down, they only communicate the outage through everyone complaining on their facebook page.

anyone defending facebook..really just shows their lack of knowledge...I said it in the original post..you'd have to be a pretty big loser to actually care about facebook or twitter..

theres much better..more advanced way to keep in contact with people and send them msg and pictures...only noobs would use that garbage

as for the "techy" comment...I'll say it again...if you have kids or something else that takes alot of your time..your probably not a real techy...

linus can do it cause its part of his job

also I'll say..linus "seems" to spend ALOT more time away from his kids then the average parent..unless they come to the office with his wife...

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

anyone defending facebook..really just shows their lack of knowledge...I said it in the original post..you'd have to be a pretty big loser to actually care about facebook or twitter..

No. It shows a different viewpoint from your own.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

theres much better..more advanced way to keep in contact with people and send them msg and pictures...only noobs would use that garbage

as for the "techy" comment...I'll say it again...if you have kids or something else that takes alot of your time..your probably not a real techy...

also I'll say..linus "seems" to spend ALOT more time away from his kids then the average parent..unless they come to the office with his wife...

Rather than being incredibly condescending, why don't you enlighten us so called "non-techy" heathens? (Spoiler alert: I work in IT)

You know why many of us still use Facebook? Because everyone else does, and it's easy to use.

I'm not going to convince my Aunt to switch from Facebook to something she's never heard of, for example.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Aside from privacy concerns and other shady business, I honestly don't think you could be more wrong. In addition, (let me phrase it politely) get your head out of the sand. It's pretty obvious that you're very much alone with that opinion of yours. Of course, you're entitled to it.

I think the general consensus is more skewed towards people being losers if they don't have facebook or twitter.

Both platforms can be powerful tools for both personal and professional use. So using more "advanced" tools would limit your audience to the point where it becomes pointless.

As for the techy part, that would mean all techies are single and living a secluded life (ie. a hermit) otherwise you'll always have these distractions you mention.

So techies basically conform to every stereotype in existence and everyone around you are losers.

I do hope you can see that your comments are without merit and make little sense.

Disclaimer: I'm not on Facebook anymore and I don't really use Twitter.

U guys in America only know twitter... I find facebook a better place to keep in contact with friends than over on twitter.

At least on facebook u dont get random people following u for no reason at all...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Talk of absolutes... leads to the dark-side young padawan...

I didn't say I care about facebook, or twitter, but these are currently the only way to tell if there is an outage at most banks, because coming out and saying "we had an outage between X and y times" or "we are currently experiencing an outage that affects x, y, & z" might see them loose business to other banks. I'd say that would increase their business, as i'd know they tell me when they are having issues.

yes, my idea of connecting with friends is spamming emojis on their wall then looking at posts of kittens

/s

Tl:Dr if they don't have team speak they don't exist to me.

- snip-

Please do elaborate and provide us with the alternatives we can use  :rolleyes: . Are we supposed to go back to Myspace? Am I supposed to share my vacation photos on LinkedIn? /s

Personally, I consider myself an techy. I'm an mechanical engineer with a minor in computer science, I help run a family business, I also work with robotics and spend a lot of my free time helping others here in the forum with BSOD/dump files (Since I'm one of the few people who actually know a thing or two about WinDbg, programming, and theory of how OSs/drivers work). I'm also an IEEE  and ASME member.

By your standards, I wouldn't want to go around calling myself an 'techy' if it implies some snobbish elite that you insinuate.

And what does having children have to do with being an techy? They're mutually independent.

/Rant

Regardless, I personally use facebook. I dont use twitter though, but I do use instagram and snapchat. If that makes me 'basic' then so be it, but they're all convenient ways on staying in touch with family and friends, while being able to share events, updates, photos, and 'moments' with others. I cant think of any other platforms that would let me do this with ease.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

WTF is with the anti Facebook shit?

It's literally the only way i keep in contact with family i have across the UK and abroad in Bulgaria, DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A PHONE CALL OVERSEAS RAPES YOUR WALLET?

I'm an idiot? Get friends.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I remember a news report that said a lot of people called 911 whenever Facebook was down a couple years ago.

Well it is America...

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I fucking hate how Facebook spams me with notifications and then sends me an email for the exact notification too.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

I fucking hate how Facebook spams me with notifications and then sends me an email for the exact notification too.

Yeah, you definitely can't disable those in the Settings page. /s

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |