Lenovo Y40 Dies After... Nothing!?!?

TC21

Earlier today I was playing a round of CS Source (one of the few games this garbage pc can run) with the laptop plugged in and it just shut off. After this it just refused to turn on. It can't be the battery since the thing was plugged in or anything related to heat since the laptop wasn't even warm (I played for like 5 minutes). Also before dying, the laptop could not recognize the graphics card (R9 275MX) and crashed when trying to open anything related to AMD like the catalyst control center or raptr(which is garbage like everything else AMD produces). I just want to get this fixed and sell it before I go full Office Space printer on it. Please help.

another one bites the dust...

i know 6 people in the same boat as you, bro.

Earlier today I was playing a round of CS Source (one of the few games this garbage pc can run) with the laptop plugged in and it just shut off. After this it just refused to turn on. It can't be the battery since the thing was plugged in or anything related to heat since the laptop wasn't even warm (I played for like 5 minutes). Also before dying, the laptop could not recognize the graphics card (R9 275MX) and crashed when trying to open anything related to AMD like the catalyst control center or raptr(which is garbage like everything else AMD produces). I just want to get this fixed and sell it before I go full Office Space printer on it. Please help.

Please edit the original post, not everything AMD creates is "Garbage" a lot of it is actually quite important.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Please edit the original post, not everything AMD creates is "Garbage" a lot of it is actually quite important.

I returned the Y40 the day I got it, it's literally shit. The GPU can't even handle CS:GO.

(which is garbage like everything else AMD produces)

TC Wars: The Fanboy Awakens

kappa

Shit laptop, see if you can get it replaced, probably just a common occurence.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy who has an eight year old AMD Turion II-based Toshiba laptop where the thermal paste lasted a whole two years against the still alive CPU and GPU.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

you could say....another one bites De_Dust

out

myself

see

Ill

my least favourite CS 1.6 map :P

(which is garbage like everything else AMD produces)

mC7cTyN3.jpeg

But its not as bad as it seems :) Try not to get sucked in to one point of view

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

IF you can get it to power on I would recommend getting the latest Crimson drivers. They are a huge improvement from catalyst

@manik dat lenovo think pad quality doe

@marzi I'm not editing it since I'm lazy but I will admit I loved my 5770 in my old rig. However you CANNOT defend the R9 275MX or pretty much anything they have released recently besides the Fury

@ valdyr it could be the battery but even when it's plugged in, the charging light doesn't blink

@ covert Nice i8 looks good in white. Sadly I needed the laptop for a project and could not return it within the month that it arrived ;_;

Also lenovo wanted an INSANE amount for the restocking fee (like $300 WTF on an $800 laptop)

I wish I could return it but it is 1 year old and out of the warranty period.

I'm not editing it since I'm lazy but I will admit I loved my 5770 in my old rig. However you CANNOT defend the R9 275MX or pretty much anything they have released recently besides the Fury

i'd still be using my 5770 if the cooler didnt tear itself apart. (although, i'm considering putting it back into use for some crazy stuff in the near future, since i made a new cooler for it)

AMD has a lot of good products, especially in the higher range for people going for dat performance per dollar. although i must admit their mobile chips are very much a joke...

Sorry I'm having to do this @ stuff, I'm on mobile.

@ Dan it's too late to return it and yes it is shit, I need Gran Turismo menu music to calm me down

@parish stahp

@Ryan my 5 year old dell Inspiron with a GT 525 can play games almost as well as this could, it is impossible not to hate AMD

@castro laptop is ded, it's not powering on and it also had the 2nd newest crimson drivers

I returned the Y40 the day I got it, it's literally shit. The GPU can't even handle CS:GO.

I understand that, but that's GPU utilization, cooling etc.  It may not be a fantastic GPU but who said it could play those games?  Last I checked CS;GO can be pretty CPU intensive.  My shit bucket laptop handles it with shittastic intel integrated graphics.  You probably had an issue with the LAPTOP not AMD.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

I understand that, but that's GPU utilization, cooling etc.  It may not be a fantastic GPU but who said it could play those games?  Last I checked CS;GO can be pretty CPU intensive.  My shit bucket laptop handles it with shittastic intel integrated graphics.  You probably had an issue with the LAPTOP not AMD.

It was a hyperthreaded 5500u