WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I currently have 3 hard-drives, only one of which I'm happy with.

In my desktop (which I'm currently building still), I have a cheap 300GB 2.5" laptop HDD that I got out of my girlfriend's mom's old (broken) computer. I gave my girlfriend all my old parts (from a 2006 build), so she took my old 200GB HDD as I couldn't use it due to lack of IDE on my new motherboard. I don't currently have anything better because I'm in the middle of a move (trying to move in with the girlfriend), and I'm generally poor.

In my laptop is a WD 2.5" (I think Blue) 750GB HDD. I like this one a lot, but it's staying put in my laptop. I use it a lot there for general file storage of all my random projects and for Steam.

I have an old old old 400GB cheapo external HDD (Also internally IDE), also not sure of the brand. Got it a long time ago, when my mom stopped needing it before I moved out of home into my own place. I consider it a small consolation in exchange for the Legos she decided to get rid of. I sometimes have it hooked up to my Raspberry Pi or my router's USB ports for a pseudo-NAS. It's formatted as Ext4 right now, so it can't be used in much else but the RPi.

At some point, I want to get at LEAST a 2TB drive, and *maybe* an SSD (Although until NAND storage stops breaking simply from writing to it, I will probably stay away. Rumor has it that applying heat at high temps and very rapidly for short bursts will renew the SSD if done right, here's to hoping).

Being an enthusiast and living on near-minimum wage and paycheck to paycheck, is hard...

Google+ with Devin Mitchell: https://plus.google.com/112234840033560104756/posts/VqDD7FARdh6

Facebook with Devin Mitchell: https://www.facebook.com/Sempernefas/posts/632172690148042

Twitter with @Semperverus: https://twitter.com/Semperverus/status/379849683381678081

I run a 1 TB WD black with a 120 GB Kingston HyperX 3k

Why I have this setup the SSD I have as a boot drive and a few games and. I use the 1 TB drive as mass storage

The SSD was the best one for the cost at the time. I have always heard great things about  WD Black drives so that's why I do. 

Running a WD Cavier Black 1TB at the moment because it was the best performing hard drive when I was buying it, only second to the crazy expensive Velociraptor and also because WD is the #1 in storage. Don't need an ssd because im not a speedfreak and also they are expensive.

2x intel 520 120GB - raid 0 - OS + programs

4x random 1tb mechanicals - raid 10 - games + media + backups

+ ram cache, 'cause i can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was orignally running 1 intel 520 for OS, programs, and a handfull of games, and a single 1tb for media + backups. The logic at the time being that i only needed 120 GB of ssd space for the applications i was useing, and i didn't have much media stored at the time.I was expecting 1tb to go alot further than it did :'(. 

My storage needs have expanded singificantly since then, and ultimately my choice to move to 2 ssds in raid 0 came from necessity. In my mind, my options were to either sell my ssd and buy a larger one, or, to add another in raid 0. As a self proclamed "enthusiast", paying more for a solution more prone to failure, with only a slight improvement in perceived performance, seemed like the obvious option.

I chose to go with raid 10 for my hdds because my games folder had expanded to the point that putting my games on ssds would be a fiscal no go, and i had a few spare 1tb drives laying around. I also wanted the performance boost associated with raid 0 but considering the time it would take to re-download all my games/media and the loss of my backups if a drive failed, i wanted some level of redundancy. I had considered raid 5, but i didn't want to go with hardware raid due to aesthetics ( i have a pretty rig =D ) and also didn't want to take a cpu hit from raid 5 since i would be running games off the array.

i have a 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar , it's good but 1TB is not enough for me since I'm an Editor lol , so i got my self an External 500GB HDD :)

I run two 1TB harddrives in my personal computer. Both are 7200 rpm barracuda drives. I use one as a boot drive and the other as strictly storage. When I built my rig SSD prices were still way too high per gig so I went with two HDDs which was much cheaper and I got lucky that I purchased them before the major flood that caused harddrive prices to skyrocket. I haven't bought an SSD yet because I plan on building a whole new rig when Star Citizen comes out so I can build around the benchmarks for the game. 

Im running a seagate barracuda 1 TB hard drive as my only form of internal storage, i also made a NAS with one of my granddads old work computers but that only has a 250 gig HDD as storage and its running Free NAS so it used up my only other HDD for the OS, (that was an 80 gig Seagate) (The 250 and the 80 where from the old work computer)

I am currently running a 1TB Seagate HDD after the death of my previous 2TB HDD in my old build, I wasn't really sure on what the best brands for performance, reliability etc so I just went with my gut on this one. I was half way through my college year when the old 2TB HDD died (luckily I managed to back up all my data just before it died) so the main goal was to get my system back up and running to get on with my work so it was kind of a rushed choice and the fact I didn't know too much about hardware. Since then I have completely upgraded my build but kept the same 1TB Seagate HDD but I am thinking of changing this to either a SSD for fast boot time or a WD 1TB Black edition for space and performance.

My system is currently a mini ITX, bitfenix prodigy build after checking out reviews and setups on your youtube channel (this is how I found out about your channel), I chose this build as I like the look of the case and it is compact but still allows space for high performance components.

Thanks and hope this was a good enough explanation.

I got 5 WD Greens ranging from 1TB to 2TB to store media and backups, some of them are sitting on my shelf and I dock them if I want to watch a certain movie. I run Intel 520 60GB SSD on my desktop for fast OS boot and program load; Samsung 830 128GB on a server for virtual machines and one 1TB RE4 drive for seeding torrents 24/7. Working on my NAS that would definitely benefit from this giveaway :P

Share onTwitter https://twitter.com/ignasio100/statuses/379927216601047041

Yo,

Currently using a 128 GB Plextor SSD, also bought a WD Black 1TB but dropped it on my way home. Currently using an external MyPassport (500GB) for storage.

I got a 1tb WD Green drive rolling along with my Dual core E6500 because im a cheap skate and it makes my computer run like a slug :) 

I have a Gateway desktop that came with a 750 gb hard drive. At the time, it was a huge amount of space that I couldn't imagine filling. Since then, I bought a 1.5 tb Seagate internal drive because of the speed it offered (7200 rpm 64mb cache) so I could store my music and movie collection. I'd like my next setup to be a raid setup.

I got a 1tb WD black for movies-games.it performs decently but id like some more space.

I have a 120GB OCZ Vertex Plus Optimized Edition for my boot drive and software, I got this particular SSD because it went on sale and I got it for a steal at $79.85 USD on Amazon, previously I had two 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives in RAID 0 for my games but they both died simultaneously, the cause of the death was unknown, so now I have a single Seagate Barracuda 2TB but I miss the speed of the 1TB RAID 0. I have an old 400GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 that I had lying around from fixing an old HP for my mom's friend, I ended up using it as a media drive, it's just about full now.

I don't have a twitter or facebook account, I find both services obnoxious and I refuse to make an account or associate with them in any way.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I have 1TB segate drive because its cheap but the thing in that I have satapower and sata cable ready in my case because I have HTPC but I don't have any way to move data from PC to PC. 

So evey time I want to move data(movies, pics, music..) I remove the HDD(its also the boot drive), connect the hard drive to my PC with the sata and satapower cables that are already ready and copy the data. 

The desktop i have is actually a pentium 4 as well, I managed to salvage a second maxtor 80 GB from an identical computer my dad brought home for his work.

I feel you ......   :)

I have a wd blue 500gb 7200rpm drive for my desktop that i have seperated in to two 250gb partisions, one partision is for windows 7, and the other is for windows 8.  The reason i bought it is because it came in a barebonse kit and was cheap at the time.

1. currently running kingston v300 120gb ssd as a boot drive. wd 250g caviar black hdd and samsung 1.5TB hdd, both for storage. pretty pissed at v300 due to seq read at ONLY 180mB/s, write around 100mB/s. googled around, it was the china made v300 causes the slow speed. the ones made from taiwan is excellent. however the boot speed still fast, until i plugged in the other 2 hdd drives, somehow it slows to 2 and half win8 loading circle at boot.

2. facebook : https://www.facebook.com/joeboto/posts/10151926787913760

3. twitter @joeboto : https://twitter.com/joeboto/status/380168781365911552

My laptop has two hard drive bays, so I've gone for storage space as I do alot of 3D rendering and modelling.

Currently:

- 1x WD 750GB Scorpio Black primary for everything (upgraded from a WD scorp blue after it died due to overheating issues)

- 1x WD 640GB Scorpio Blue backup drive (came with the computer) 

- 1x Verbatim 500gb external drive for backup of backup and centralization of shared files(and was used to restore all my files after my first hard drive died)

I never went SSD as they were too expensive, and I find i really do need the storage space. Going with the scorpio blacks helps with system responsiveness and I do notice the difference between the 5400rpm versions.

My other laptop i also upgraded to a 750gb scorpio black from its 320gb toshiba, for both the speed and capacity boost. 

Simply due to prices and my usage, I see myself using purely HDDs for the foreseeable future as I simply need the capacity. 

i7-720qm 1.6GHz | Acer Aspire 8943G motherboard (Al ram heatsink'd heatpipes)  | 16GB Kingston 1066 SODIMM | Radeon Mobility HD5850 1GB GDDR3 | 750GB WD 7200RPM HDD 

"Sitting exposed on top of my printer" case (insane airflow)

Right now I have in my PC such storage setup

60GB Seagate

120GB Seagate

320GB Seagate

500GB WD

Of course I'd like to have SSD in my machine but they are still helluva expensive stuff :P

I have changed components in time but hard drives are remained. Just growing within time. They are all working good so no need to throw them away. That's why I have such setup. Moreover when reading my post below.

I also have or now must say had 1TB WD Black drive. It was for backup purposes to all other drives in my PC but instead old ones this backup one itself died recently. Furtonately it was under warranty and I did send it to WD. Got back re-certified one but unfortunately it was faulty unit what I got. It had temperaqture issues and kept constantly disconnecting itself. So I sent it back to WD and then got another refurbished one. Unfortunately this one is also faulty. It's damn slow. 14MB/s write speed in Sata port. Even USB2 external box with other disks perform better. So now I'm just writing with WD to get working one. Transport costs what I have paid for sending disks back to are already half of brand new disk :/.

My HD configuration is composed of one OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD and one WESTERN DIGITAL - CAVIAR BLACK 1TB HD. I chose this configuration because I like the speed of the SSD but I need the 1TB HD since I require a massive amount of capacity for all of my steam games. I use a program to move steam games between my two drives depending on which I'll be playing. I also decided on this configuration because of the price, since the mechanical drives are cheaper per GB. Even though the SSD does not have a large capacity, It is still worth having it for the speed it provides. I don't have a redundancy HD set up but even in a catastrophic HD failure, I won't get mad over pixels. 

My config is:

1. Samsung 840Pro 256GB for OS and a few programs because when I tried an SSD couldn't stand HDD for OS;

2. 500GB Seagate Barracuda (old drive, needs to be replaced) for games and TV shows;

3. 2TB WD Green WD20EARX for movies, TV shows I would watch again, and A LOT of music. This drive is shared so I can acces it with other computers;

My current system setup is: 1TB WD Black as my system drive, 1 WD Green as my working drive, and 2 1TB My Book live for my backup/archive. Just recently my 1TB My Book Live died with my 2 years worth of photographic portfolio and data's.  As a photographer this photographic data's is our life, sending this drive for recovery cost a lot of money. This kind of setup/workflow is working for me for many years now but now I am thinking of dumping all of my current WD mechanical drive and shift to better and faster SSD's for my system and working drive and also saving up money for an NAS system but i am also looking up for a home server.

Facebook Share from Reymond Padriga https://www.facebook.com/reymond.padriga/posts/675635309116162

Twitter Share with Reymond Padriga https://twitter.com/reymondpadriga/status/380414500408524800

I have a home server that was thrown together with some parts we have lying around. It backs up our family's music, movies, and photos we have on our personal computers.

Its uses 160GB Samsung generic as a boot drive and a 500GB WB Blue as a network storage drive, both internal, because that is what i got as a gift from my brother.

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

samsung 840 pro 512GB as primary drive. also have 4, 4TB wd red in my synonlogy nas would love 1 more to populate the whole enclosure