WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I have a desktop computer I built a while back. I have a 32gb A-Data premier SSD and a 1tb seagate barracuda. I have the OS and drivers on the SSD and everything else on the HDD. As a teenager I can't easily get more storage space. My 1tb drive is quickly filling up and I plan on doing some video editing in the future. It would be great to have 4tb of storage!

1. My current setup: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb x2 configured in raid 0.

WHY?

I am a computer science student at Murray State University, so speed is important most of the time. My motherboard only supports SATA II, so that is the reason I have them configured in raid 0. Im currently saving up for an upgrade, but having trouble determining what to get first. Either a new motherboard upgraded to SATA III, or a larger HD because I often hit space limits.

2. Facebook Share Link from Ryan Holland <https://www.facebook.com/ryan.holland.33/posts/10151563290940997>

Primary Desktop:

120GB Corsair Force Series 3 SSD (OS drive Windows, because it was a cheap replacement while my WD Raptor had died and was away for warranty replacement for the second time)

150GB WD Velociraptor (OS drive Linux, I got the Velociraptor as a Warranty exchange for my Raptor. I originally got the Raptor because I wanted a fast boot drive years ago)

2x1.5TB WD Black (Storage drives, because they are high performing and have a 5 year warranty and I needed the space)

2TB Samsung external drive (because I needed the storage and it was cheap)

Secondary Desktop:

320GB WD Scorpio Blue (OS drive Linux, Warranty replacement of a 250GB WD Scorpio Blue I had originally bought for my laptop, which died from overheatintg)

4x320GB Seagate somethingorother (Storage drives, I run these as one volume through LVM)

160 GB Maxtor IDE drive in external enclosure

160 GB Seagate FreeAgent external drive (I needed the external storage for a trip)

Netbook:

64GB OCZ SSD (OS drive, It was cheap ($30 after MIR) I wanted to squeeze a little bit more performance out of my HP mini311 netbook)

I also have a 300GB Maxtor drive with a broken SATA connector floating around somewhere, I don't remember where it is atm I also don't remember what I bought it for.

I don't run any of my drives in RAID because I never had enough money on hand to buy double the storage needed.

A perceptive person would notice that most of my older drives are Seagate, while most of my newer drives are Western Digital. The reason for this is that I was burned by Seagate and their "Warranty" and they still owe me a functioning maximum size drive, since that was the capacity they denied me years ago. So I'm adding this to discourage anyone from buying Seagate. Seagate sucks. Their Warranty is inferior to Western Digitals in almost every way.

Long live WD!!!

Twitter - https://twitter.com/heeros1/status/378212821718163456

for now im using 2 WD black (640gb and 1.5gb) drives 1 for os and 1 for storage , im using only WD black series becouse any of this drives die on me yet :) 

i didnt have so much luck with the green series ( 2 died) but i really want to check out does red ones they look promising ,thanks for the chance to win this awesome giveaway guys !

twitter entry: https://twitter.com/spyderco11/status/378209460339998720 (@spyderco11)

Hi Linus!

Big fan of your channel and tech advice.  Also first time posting on any type of give away or anything of the sort really.  Keep up the good work!

My storage:

2x 240GB crucial ssd's in raid 0 config.

My reasoning for this is that I've had good luck with drives so far (knock on wood) so the extra risk was acceptable for the gain in pure speed.  I do not currently have a 3rd drive for back up or for extra storage and that may be next on my list to get once I get a little closer to utilizing my 500GB space. However, I do have a 500GB Western Digital My Passport portable hard drive that I use mainly as a safety back up for photos/music just in-case there is a malfunction in my raid 0 config.  I mainly use my system for gaming, music, and general web browsing.

I built this computer with help of an IT friend's recommendations on product selection with regards to my budget at the time of the build.  My next build will follow more the suit of your better and ultimate gaming build videos and possibly try water cooling for the first time.

Hi! I believe this is the first time I post something in the forum! :) I run a Corsair SSD 180GB Force GS as a main/booting drive and then a "rainbow" of WD Hard drives that I've been buying since 2006. I got WD 500Gb "colourless" from 2008, a WD 1TB Caviar Green (2010), a WD 1TB Blue and a WD 1TB Black, both from this year when I upgraded my rig. All the other disk where sort of a "legacy" storage :P. Here in Argentina those RED Drives are VERY VERY expensive (due to our current situation in the country with the imports) and very rare too. I'd love to get a pair at least of those to install in RAID 0+1 on my PC so it wasn't cramped all the time with my "raw" files from the camara (photographer here :D )

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/nicolas.sauk/posts/673665209310146

Twitter: https://twitter.com/NicolasSauk/status/378200803426578432

Google+: https://plus.google.com/114244232577779009276/posts/BNjoptsWret

Intel Core i7 3770k 4.2Ghz  || Asus Sabertooth Z77  || 8gb Patriot DDR3 2133Mhz || Corsair H100i  || Asus GeForce GTX680 DirectCU II 2Gb || SSD 180GB Corsair Force GS + 1Tb WD Black + 1Tb WD Blue + 1Tb WD Green 

Cooler Master Silent Pro GOLD 800W  || NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal || 23" Samsung P2370 & 32" Sony LED TV KDL 32EX655  || Edifier "C2" 2.1+1 Speakers  || Sony MDR-V500 DJ Headphones & Corsair Vengeance 1300 Headset

Microsoft Sidewinder X6  || MadCatz R.A.T. 7 Black  || Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Fragged XL  || Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for PC  || Samsung Galaxy S4 [i9500]  || iPod Touch 5th Gen 32Gb  || Nexus 7 [2012] 32Gb

1. I have a Samsung 830 Pro 512GB as my boot drive on my main desktop. I used to have Intel SSD's for their reliability only but the price and speed on the Samsung's were really the deal breaker for me. I Also have a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for storing all my music and another Western Digital Red 3TB for all my movies and series. For my external drive I chose a LaCie Porche Design 1TB because the looks fit my Macbook. It has two partitions on it, one for an offline back-up of my Mac and another one for a portable back-up of my Desktop and other stuff I need to have with me while i'm travelling. The disk is encrypted to keep nosy people out.

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @novusimmortales: https://twitter.com/novusimmortales/status/378214668084322304

I now have WD green HDD 500Gb. I used to have seagate (2 HDD) but they both broke down within a year. I have this HDD for 4 years now and I think it's time for a change! ;)  

I am running a 80Gb Western Digital Black as my boot drive since it has good read/Write speeds and a 1.5TB Green Drive and my Steam/Origin/VM Storage. I also have a 1Tb MyPassport for lan's and backups.

\

As of right now my gaming rig isn't very good. My parents bought it in 2007. It has an nvidia 8800gt, an amd phenom processor, I'm not sure what motherboard, and 500gb hdd. If y memory is correct, back in 07 500gb was a lot, but lately I've been running out of room. Drawing inspiration from you videos, I've planned on building a new pc, but I don't have a lot of money. I was looking to do a 60gb ssd for my os and a 4tb hdd for everything else. I'm goin to get just one 4tb because with everything else, that's all I can afford. I'm not really trust worthy of ssd as I've heard they aren't reliable. But then, I don't know a whole lot about computers. Anyway, keep up the good work, and wiether I win or not, you guys are awesome!

1. I have the standard early-2011 Macbook pro 500 GB internal HDD. I don't want to open my laptop and mess with its internals so I haven't upgraded to an SSD or larger internal HDD. I also have an external Dell PDA500A 500GB HDD. I found it at my dad's wholesale computer business, where it was just sitting unused because they found it with a laptop they were selling. It was pretty much free for me and my dad's business so I started using it for Time Machine on my mac. Oh and I also have 5 months remaining on crashplan unlimited backup storage online which I got free during one of their offers. I guess that counts as storage...

2. Tweet from my twitter handle @kydoshi : https://twitter.com/kydoshi/status/378222230473162752

Right now I use Samsung 840pro 256GB SSD + my old SSD plextor m3 pro 128GB

Move then enough space for me.  But might be going for 2x 256GB Samsung SSD Raid 0. Just for the speed.

Current storage setup:

2x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD in my PC

3x WD 640GB in RAID-5 in my PC

4x Samsung 1TB F3 in Qnap 569-Pro (raid-5)

I use the ssd's for the speed for loading my OS/Apps/Games and for the extremely fast access time - so much nicer when things snap open. Theres nothing stored on these that I dont mind losing, everything can be reinstalled again.

The RAID-5 is for my personal downloads/pictures/movies/long term storage, I set up raid-5 as I obviously dont want to risk losing the data stored here as some of it is irreplaceable. RAID-5 for the speed and redundancy as RAID-1 would be a that little bit too slow when dealing with large files, 

This is backed up onto my Qnap as a single raid-5 is not a backup of your data! I chose the Qnap as it has dual gbit connectivity, USB3 and eSATA for additional backup and the ability to utilize another RAID-5 setup, pointless backing up your data onto something that could fail too easily.

This also houses other PCs backups and is reaching its maximum storage! 4x 4TB would do nicely to let us continue keeping our data safe!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/frazer.james.92/posts/10153223444705006

Twitter: @15KSpec https://twitter.com/15KSpec/status/378226699244019713

Hi, I'm JellyBOMB.

I have a single 3TB Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive which I turned into an internal and then I also have a 1TB Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive for whatever else I might need.

In my Main PC I run a single 512gb 830 SSD because i got an amazing deal (~250€) on it. And no hard drives (mainly because i cant stand the noise they make)

I have a Storage Server as well. With 2x 2TB blacks in Raid1 because It is a very reliable drive (physically actually a RE drive) with 5 years warranty, but still cheaper, also when i bought them the WD Reds or the Seagate NAS drives were not on the market yet. Performance was not important because, i access it over a wireless network

I have 3 Sata drives purchased on ebay a mixed collection but it was cheap! :)

I'm running a Diskstation ds213 with a 3TB Red and an old 2TB Black drive.  Got the NAS and Red drive as a present by request and love it.  It's simplicity, flexibility and size along with gigabit support pretty much sums up why it's on my desk.

Twitter share @danieljiang2011_miller: https://twitter.com/danielj_miller/status/378220659559497728

Google+ share Daniel Miller: https://plus.google.com/u/0/116300723004934466440/posts

OS Drives:

In my last build I chose to use two 120GB Corsair Force GT SSDs because they were the best available at the time, according to reviewers. The two SSDs are connected to my Z68 chipset's SATA III ports for optimal throughput. One SSD has OS X 10.8.4 installed, and the other has Windows 7.

Storage Drives:

For storage I chose to use two Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB hard drives because I have been using Seagate drives for many years, and i found these drives to be relatively inexpensive. In the beginning I had them mirrored, but soon realized that 2TB wasn't going to be enough space. So I have been running them in RAID 0 for the past eight months, and I have planned on buying a drobo, or something similar, but haven't yet had the extra funds. The two Seagate drives are connected to the two SATA III ports from my motherboard's Marvell 88SE9172 chip. And, I set the RAID up in OS X, because OS X doesn't see my motherboard's hardware RAID. And, I am able to access the OS X software RAID from Windows 7 using MacDrive 9 Pro.

Picture:

Here is a picture of the backside of my case where the hard drives slide in. The case is an Antec ONE. And, it's pretty dusty because I have been using the computer for about a year now.

post-39854-0-82299700-1379012686_thumb.j

Social Media Links:

1. Facebook share from Mitchell Wilson II: Facebook Link

2. Twitter share with Twitter handle @mwilsonii: Twitter Link

Started 7 years ago with 2x500GB Samsung HDD (OS and storage), then, since the motherboard i had supported only 3 SATA2 devices (the third being a DVD writer), I bought a 500GB WD My Book Essential.

After that I had to replace my broken motherboard with another with 5 SATA2 connectors (This happened when SATA3 wasn't around, otherwise I would've bought one).

A year ago I finally decided to buy an SSD, in particular the Samsung 830 128GB, as a boot drive.

Recently I bought an entry level NAS enclosure for backups and storage, in which i've put the 500GB WD Green drive that was inside the WD My Book Essential, because it was the healthier between the three I have and because at the moment I can't afford proper drives.

So:

Samsung 830 128GB (OS and heavy programs)

2x500GB Samsung HDD [both about to die](Light programs and mass storage)

NAS enclosure with a 500GB WD Green HDD (Backup and storage)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Blink191/status/378242907494297600

I only have old drives. I really needa backup, because many of my drives have ran for over 25000 hours and are still in use, and all my drives are full. I have about a couple of TB containing mostly old pictures and memories I don't want to lose, and I have nowhere to put them. I haven't had an ssd, but I have tried them some times, and they were all much quicker than expected. It would be fun to build a pc with 4-8 ssds in raid 0, just for fun. I'm planning to get myself a nas sooner or later.

I have an old samsung spinpoint 640gb, two old 250gb spinpoints, a couple of ancient 80gb seagate barracuda disks, a maxtor disk (unknown capacity, i don't have it here right now), and some 2.5" hdds from laptops, plus an iomega 320gb external and a 320gb wd external.

I don't have much money to buy some new hardware.

something

I use a ocz agility 3 120gb as my boot drive because it boots up quick and I use a Seagate barracuda 500gb for my steam games and files I use the Seagate hdd because it was cheap and has quite big capacity and I use the ssd because its reliable and fast :)

CPU : 4670k MOBO : MSI Z87 G45  RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Graphics : MSI GTX660 OC Twin Frozr (Unfortunately) PSU :Corsair CX600M Storage : Crucial mx100 256GB, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm  OS : Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 

I use a ocz agility 3 120gb as my boot drive because it boots up quick and I use a Seagate barracuda 500gb for my steam games and files I use the Seagate hdd because it was cheap and has quite big capacity and I use the ssd because its reliable and fast :)

CPU : 4670k MOBO : MSI Z87 G45  RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Graphics : MSI GTX660 OC Twin Frozr (Unfortunately) PSU :Corsair CX600M Storage : Crucial mx100 256GB, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm  OS : Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit