Sexisim and reform among gamers.

mbryant

DISCLAIMER: I'm a male.

So ignorant people in gaming and not just gaming but gaming is where I want the focus of this to be ( I know that this is probably an extremely loud minority) think that women shouldn't or can't play video games or be game devs or anything to do with games beyond a character as a damsel in distress or half naked eye candy "asking for it" This has always been mind blowing to me because I don't understand why some women and girls are treated the way they are in games. We all remember gamergate right? I just want to know what some of you folks think about the issue of sexisim within the gaming community and weather or not you see it more with console gamers or PC 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

OT but OT /r/kotakuinaction <3

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

As a girl who has gamed in the past I find there's a few sets of people.

A ) People who just don't care and like to just game regardless

B ) People who give you crap for being a girl I.e. "Get in the kitchen","You shouldn't play games" etc etc - When I console gamed I generally found these were on Xbox360 and not on PS3 so I switched to PS3 pretty much full time.

C ) Girls who intentionally seek out attention for being a girl in games.

D ) Guys that actually try to hit on you etc or "fall in love with you" 

I found group A to be more common on larger MMO's such as RuneScape, GuildWars and WoW, in general PC gaming

I found group B to be more console based especially X360

I found group C to be more common on games like CS:GO, LoL and KillingFloor / LFD2

I found group D to be more common in guilds and other various groups of MMO's.

Just my observations so no actual scientific background.

thats it im calling anita sarkeesian rn because im sick of all the oppression and degradation of the female image of equality and education in the world all men are racist and sexist especially the white ones #triggered

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Okay let me go back, It's certainly not as bad as it was 4-6 years ago.. but I've still seen this. I like how a lot of you just assumed I was some "self-proclaimed crusader" it was just a simple question for discussion because I still see it from time to time and I was just curious about your own experiences. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

A) People who just don't care and like to just game regardless

B) People who give you crap for being a girl I.e. "Get in the kitchen","You shouldn't play games" etc etc - When I console gamed I generally found these were on Xbox360 and not on PS3 so I switched to PS3 pretty much full time.

C) Girls who intentionally seek out attention for being a girl in games.

D) Guys that actually try to hit on you etc or "fall in love with you" 

I found group A to be more common on larger MMO's such as RuneScape, GuildWars and WoW, in general PC gaming

I found group C to be more common on games like CS:GO, LoL and KillingFloor / LFD2

B - is kinda like racism and the internet to me. It's their outlet. They'd never get away with saying that in person. 4chan says and does some of the worst shit and does some of the best shit. It's really, really wield what people do when they can't be judged. 

C - It's cheap, it's a shame, but.....if I could go on twitch and show off my dick and get donations, I totally would. Totally don't blame them. 

D - Desperation is shown more openly with anonymity.  I hate to say this but in most cases, women can pick up men much easier than the other way around. Way our society works. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

B ) People who give you crap for being a girl I.e. "Get in the kitchen","You shouldn't play games" etc etc - When I console gamed I generally found these were on Xbox360 and not on PS3 so I switched to PS3 pretty much full time.

B,C,D are all things I see the most especially when I played on 360. PC has been much nicer and I've really only seen a lot of "D" but that's not necessarily sexist. I saw a lot of "D" back when I played Magic The Gathering and Yu-Gi-OH 

This I can agree with based on personal experience.

Although C has spread to streaming as well...

This has also been my experience. (Except maybe option D. was most prevalent in FPS games as well as MMOs)

But sexism within gamers is not a correlated thing.

Sexism exists, and like any other labeled group like "gamers", you'll find sexists in that group.

But there's nothing about video games or "gaming culture" that's sexist.

Gamergate was weird, i'll still defend it because ethics and reliable information with consumer backlash was always the main focus, something other consumer cultures have also done and continue to do in other media.

The problem was when GGers started using aGGro tactics and pulling the same bullshit.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

B,C,D are all things I see the most especially when I played on 360. PC has been much nicer and I've really only seen a lot of "D" but that's not necessarily sexist. I saw a lot of "D" back when I played Magic The Gathering and Yu-Gi-OH 

B - is kinda like racism and the internet to me. It's their outlet. They'd never get away with saying that in person. 4chan says and does some of the worst shit and does some of the best shit. It's really, really wield what people do when they can't be judged. 

C - It's cheap, it's a shame, but.....if I could go on twitch and show off my dick and get donations, I totally would. Totally don't blame them. 

D - Desperation is shown more openly with anonymity.  I hate to say this but in most cases, women can pick up men much easier than the other way around. Way our society works. 

Basically it's as simple as this.

Some people are dicks, most are nice and decent people, it's just those that scream the loudest (B,C & D) are heard the most where as A (a group I find most people the majority of) rarely get attention because they're so few and far between.

It's just a case of the minority ruining it for the majority.

What the buttercups is this poop? Feminist sunshine frequency? If Women aren't treated right just sue the rainbow company for kitten's sake. We have anti-discrimination laws for a happy reason. Jesus puppy christ get your poopadilly straight and remove yourself from the premises.

INTERCOURSE KOTAKU

COPULATE FEMINIST FREQUENCY

AND MOST OF ALL

HUMP

ANITA

SARKEESIAN.

Furtherfornicatingmore!

Games have a block button for a god damn reason, they have a REPORT function for a lovemaking REASON. I don't understand White shagging knights and I never schtuping will.

/rant

Edited by alpenwasser
cleaned up some overabundant profanity :)

Hiya :)

Feel free to quote me in a reply so I can see your reply :)

thats it im calling anita sarkeesian rn because im sick of all the oppression and degradation of the female image of equality and education in the world all men are racist and sexist especially the white ones #triggered

never said anything to that effect. I'm not attacking all gamers nor am I attacking anyone, but even today in gaming culture gender inequality is still present. But on the opposite side of that there are several fantastic female characters and leads in many many videogames. 

I hate to say this but in most cases, women can pick up men much easier than the other way around. Way our society works. 

If you're a cuck, sure, but outside of video games i found the exact opposite to be true.

The heterosexual males who pander to females in lobby chats and game chats are usually either losers or very young boys.

Which is why i found the most of them in F2P MMOs and games like COD.

Almost nowhere else have i found this to be my experience.

It's really pretty accurate there.

Now I have a friend that is a part of group A that acts like he's a part of group D. It's honestly brutal to experience first hand how he interacts with her, and girls in general. The fact that he doesn't get out much and all he has to show for anything is his skills in csgo and wow is probably a main contributor to the problem. It's a mess. :wacko:

When it comes down to it I feel like the people that really mistreat females online with the sole intent of just being dicks are the people that have never had much interaction with females irl

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

What the buttercups is this poop? Feminist sunshine frequency? If Women aren't treated right just sue the rainbow company for kitten's sake. We have anti-discrimination laws for a happy reason. Jesus puppy christ get your poopadilly straight and remove yourself from the premises.

INTERCOURSE KOTAKU

COPULATE FEMINIST FREQUENCY

AND MOST OF ALL

HUMP

ANITA

SARKEESIAN.

Furtherfornicatingmore!

Games have a block button for a god damn reason, they have a REPORT function for a lovemaking REASON. I don't understand White shagging knights and I never schtuping will.

/rant

once again, I wasn't ranting and I was hoping for a rather entertaining discussion, I was attacking no one, and I did infact acknowledge that the "sexisim" and other issues were because of a loud minority ruining it for the majority, I'd go as far as to say you are part of the issue for reacting so horribly. Edited by alpenwasser
edited quote

IDK. I have 2 friends on steam who are girls and the rest (around 15 ish) are guys.

I've just never been popular with girls. :(

I have problems relating to them and communicating with them.

Well yeah, on PC you see a lot of that D when people are streaming and when playing COD with all that webcam compatibility

LOL :)

@Godlygamer23 could you fix this thread please, @Section35 has an attitude problem. I know sometime I swear but this is properly swearing and hardcore.

Edited by Godlygamer23

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Basically it's as simple as this.

Some people are dicks, most are nice and decent people, it's just those that scream the loudest (B,C & D) are heard the most where as A (a group I find most people the majority of) rarely get attention because they're so few and far between.

It's just a case of the minority ruining it for the majority.

I miss the days of dedicated PC servers being the majority of online play. We had rules about this shit. 

I was much younger, and even at that immature want-be-a-dick-rag-on-the-internet age I learned not to do B, C, and D. 

The main reason was not only servers with rules, but 2 factors-

*You played with the same 100-150 people usually. They remember you. 

*I often played with people a lot older than I was, generally in their 30s. Some married with wives that often played as well, would come home from work, crack a beer, and play a game. Chances are if you trashed talked person Y, Admin X probably knows them.

ten plus years later and I miss that accountability, and the communities that formed around simple match servers. 

- snip -

I fucking hate kotaku more every day. Edited by alpenwasser
edited quote

muh specs 

All parts black

It's really pretty accurate there.

Now I have a friend that is a part of group A that acts like he's a part of group D. It's honestly brutal to experience first hand how he interacts with her, and girls in general. The fact that he doesn't get out much and all he has to show for anything is his skills in csgo and wow is probably a main contributor to the problem. It's a mess. :wacko:

When it comes down to it I feel like the people that really mistreat females online with the sole intent of just being dicks are the people that have never had much interaction with females irl

You're not wrong, it's a lack of secondary socialisation with the opposite sex that leads to these situations.

I miss the days of dedicated PC servers being the majority of online play. We had rules about this shit. 

I was much younger, and even at that immature want-be-a-dick-rag-on-the-internet age I learned not to do B, C, and D. 

The main reason was not only servers with rules, but 2 factors-

*You played with the same 100-150 people usually. They remember you. 

*I often played with people a lot older than I was, generally in their 30s. Some married with wives that often played as well, would come home from work, crack a beer, and play a game. Chances are if you trashed talked person Y, Admin X probably knows them.

ten plus years later and I miss that accountability, and the communities that formed around simple match servers. 

I fucking hate kotaku more every day. 

I too miss the days of dedicated PC's and accountability, unfortunately because people can get away with things they do them and that is why there's such an outcry for regulation.

But on the opposite side of that there are several fantastic female characters and leads in many many videogames. 

What's great about female leads exactly?

I've never understood this, i've never understood why men and women see themselves so differently.

It's like you're all (not you personally) convinced that the opposite sex isn't human like you.

Can you not empathize with the opposite sex or something?

I'm not saying only have male leads, but applauding female leads in video games is like applauding Linus for not wearing his scoks and sandals.

No one actually cares and it will change literally nothing about the content.

once again, I wasn't ranting and I was hoping for a rather entertaining discussion, I was attacking no one, and I did infact acknowledge that the "sexisim" and other issues were because of a loud minority ruining it for the majority, I'd go as far as to say you are part of the issue for reacting so horribly. 

I'm a part of the issue for being angry. Right. Anger = Sexsim. Got-it.exe

I don't think you understand that the vocal Minority will always, ALWAYS represent the majority. No matter what. You just have to fucking deal with it. We have laws in place for company discrimination, and we have reporting and blocking function for other issues in-game. It's not hard to report someone, so just do it. Besides, there are hundreds of other games and MILLIONS of other servers.

What's great about female leads exactly?

I've never understood this, i've never understood why men and women see themselves so differently.

It's like you're all (not you personally) convinced that the opposite sex isn't human like you.

Can you not empathize with the opposite sex or something?

I'm not saying only have male leads, but applauding female leads in video games is like applauding Linus for not wearing his scoks and sandals.

No one actually cares and it will change literally nothing about the content.

This is what I've said for literally fucking years. Who gives a shit what genitals they have? They do the job, they get paid. Simples, noh?

I think a lot of it has do with people just getting aggravated by the whole, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Look! Look! I'm a girl!, pay attention to me!, I'm a girl and I am playing video games!" thing that happens. Most of the time it would be a non issue. 95% of the time I see anything happening like that happens directly after that proclamation of being a girl.

If you're a cuck, sure, but outside of video games i found the exact opposite to be true.

The heterosexual males who pander to females in lobby chats and game chats are usually either losers or very young boys.

Which is why i found the most of them in F2P MMOs and games like COD.

Almost nowhere else have i found this to be my experience.

lol True, them kids go full frontal as soon as they learn someone is a female. It's like watching twitch chat escalating...

Much facepalm, such sad, wow.

Let's keep things on topic, yeah?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch