A few days ago, my parents asked me why my old Sony VAIO was always on. I explained what Folding@Home was, and they flipped out. At first, they thought it was a scam, and it wasn't actually from the University of Stanford (my dad said we could be criminally investigated for that comp power). Then, they investigated and found out that it wasn't a scam, but they had no evidence that they were actually using our computing power for protein folding, and nothing else. So, my question is, what actually has been accomplished by Folding@Home, and what proof do we have that our computers are actually running protein folding simulations, and not doing something else (secret military development, New World Order, Illuminati, etc.)?

EDIT: Please don't say that my parents are lunatics, overprotective, conspiracy theorists,etc. That's not it at all

Edited by Mario3D13

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

I wouldn't be surprised TBH

I wouldn't mind if it helped to defeat ISIS  :D

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Yeah, they've completed the first page in the book "How to understand women"

I LOLd at this ^^

bitcoin mining at your cost

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

I'm wondering too

Understand that you can look up information about the project you're currently working on and also understand that protein folding is very complicated and in order for us to become closer to understanding how to prevent diseases from occurring, it takes a lot of power.

From Wikipedia:

The large data sets from the project are freely available for other researchers to use upon request and some can be accessed from the Folding@home website.
The Pande lab has collaborated with other molecular dynamics systems such as the Blue Gene supercomputer, and they share Folding@home's key software with other researchers, so that the algorithms which benefited Folding@home may aid other scientific areas.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A few days ago, my parents asked me why my old Sony VAIO was always on. I explained what Folding@Home was, and they flipped out. At first, they thought it was a scam, and it wasn't actually from the University of Stanford (my dad said we could be criminally investigated for that comp power). Then, they investigated and found out that it wasn't a scam, but they had no evidence that they were actually using our computing power for protein folding, and nothing else. So, my question is, what actually has been accomplished by Folding@Home, and what proof do we have that our computers are actually running protein folding simulations, and not doing something else (secret military development, New World Order, Illuminati, etc.)?

EDIT: Please don't say that my parents are lunatics, overprotective, conspiracy theorists,etc. That's not it at all

You can use the protein viewer to watch it in real time.

saved pharma companies money and increased their profit margins

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb