Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Airflow optimized case

Hello all, I'm currently using a Corsair 550D for my ATX system.

Currently in a warm, dusty environment and I have to take off the front door for sufficient intake. Using aftermarket Silverstone magnetic filters as the ones that came with my case simply suck.

I'm considering replacing it with a purpose built airflow optimized case.

I need these features:

• Mid tower for ATX
  • Accepts at least 2x 140mm on top and one at the back
  • Removable 3.5" HDD cage
  • Not inverted design
  • Front USB3 and audio jack
  • Can take in more air from the front than a friggin black hole
  • Will accept long cards (I have a 290X Lightning)

These would be nice but not a must:

• PSU/bottom bay shroud
  • No 5.25" bays (don't use them)
  • Window
  • Front I/O instead of on top, because I don't want dust settling in
  • Good rear compartment for cable management
  • 2.5" SSD mounts (not bay)
  • Fine mesh air filters
  • Simple design

Seeing as most recent cases are made for silence, I'm having difficulty finding one for my needs.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Fractal Design R5, Have it, Love it, Highly Recommend it. Doesn't have a PSU shroud, but I made one for mine out of sheet steel and spray paint. Everything else... It does exactly what you want.

Fractal Design R5, Have it, Love it, Highly Recommend it. Doesn't have a PSU shroud, but I made one for mine out of sheet steel and spray paint. Everything else... It does exactly what you want.

H440?

Aren't those silent cases with only side vent intakes in front? I'm going to have to take the door off again like with my current case. Don't want to do that.

This was what I had in mind:

01_Geared_Turbofan.jpg

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

air 540 if you can deal with two 5.25 bays.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

or maybe the 400c when it comes out?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Aren't those silent cases with only side vent intakes in front? I'm going to have to take the door off again like with my current case. Don't want to do that.

They are aesthetically minimalistic cases with a focus on smart layout and the ability to add or remove drive cages as needed(for the R5), airflow is a non issue.

My R5 houses an overclocked i7 4790k and had two gigabyte gtx970's that exhausted into the case and temperatures were a non issue.

check out this video from hardware canucks: HERE

I'm currently looking at the 450D (yeah its ironic I have the 550D) seems to hit all the right spots but I'm worried about top 280mm rad compatibility that Linus mentioned in his review.

Air 540 looks to have great air flow too but it just appears... strange... so no.

H440's intakes are far too restricted. R5 would have passed as an option of not for incompatibility with magnetic filters in the front intake. It doesn't have filters on top either (and there are no filters that fit the width up there) So I'll have to shortlist them both.

The 400C looks viable but it will probably come out unreasonably expensive in my country.

Define S. 3 3.5 inch back bays that are removable and easy/quick to swap.

There literally isn't a modern midtower on the market today with better airflow capabilities.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm currently looking at the 450D (yeah its ironic I have the 550D) seems to hit all the right spots but I'm worried about top 280mm rad compatibility that Linus mentioned in his review.

Air 540 looks to have great air flow too but it just appears... strange... so no.

H440's intakes are far too restricted. R5 would have passed as an option of not for incompatibility with magnetic filters in the front intake. It doesn't have filters on top either (and there are no filters that fit the width up there) So I'll have to shortlist them both.

The 400C looks viable but it will probably come out unreasonably expensive in my country.

The R5 has a very fine removable filter in the front that is easy to remove and clips securely in place (IMO better than the magnetic filters)

The top is unfiltered when uncovered but it is an exhaust so it's exhausting prefiltered intake air and really doesn't need a filter.

I don't use the top exhaust, I have a 240mm AIO H100i GTX in the front in a push/pull setup and one 120mm for the graphics card in the rear exhaust both coolers are working with heavily overclocked silicon and my temperatures are great.

Just a thought, but there was a LTT topic on a top filter for the Fractal Define series, there could be a top filter in the works from Fractal which would let you upgrade if necessary in the future.

Check it out, Here

Define S. 3 3.5 inch back bays that are removable and easy/quick to swap.

There literally isn't a modern midtower on the market today with better airflow capabilities.

Thanks that looks like an R5 on roids

Thanks that looks like an R5 on roids

Take a look at the phanteks enthoo pro m case. It meets almost all the requirements, except it has a 5.25 drive bay.

Solid build, great quality dust filters, has a PSU shroud, good cable management and has 2 USB 3.0 and audio jack in the front.

The only downside is it has just one fan (exhaust in the back).

Take a look at the phanteks enthoo pro m case. It meets almost all the requirements, except it has a 5.25 drive bay.

Solid build, great quality dust filters, has a PSU shroud, good cable management and has 2 USB 3.0 and audio jack in the front.

The only downside is it has just one fan (exhaust in the back).

Good find! I don't mind it coming with only one fan. Have enough of my own.