Power Supply for 10+ HDD's, do I need anything special?

Blucyrik

I'm planning on building a new NAS, which will contain ten or more 1-2 TB hard drives moving into the future. To make sure I don't "max anything out" from connecting so many hard drives, do I need anything special?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

I'm planning on building a new NAS, which will contain ten or more 1-2 TB hard drives moving into the future. To make sure I don't "max anything out" from connecting so many hard drives, do I need anything special?

A regular quality PSU will work with it, if your board supports it you could setup staggered startup so not all drives are drawing full power to start spinning.  

Well desktop hard drives should probably allot for 30W each. So I'd assume that, say you have an i5 and GTX 780, maybe a 750W PSU would be good.

Totally pulled those numbers out of nowhere btw. Would not recommend using my opinion as the be-all end-all.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Twill be fine - I had 8-12 3.5" drives pulling from a 450w without issue and without staggered startup.

Well desktop hard drives should probably allot for 30W each. So I'd assume that, say you have an i5 and GTX 780, maybe a 750W PSU would be good.

Totally pulled those numbers out of nowhere btw. Would not recommend using my opinion as the be-all end-all.

Hdd's can use ~30w when spinning up but use under 10w in normal usage. 750w is overkill. The system isn't going to be at load when booting up. A decent 550w would be more than enough already.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hdd's can use ~30w when spinning up but use under 10w in normal usage. 750w is overkill. The system isn't going to be at load when booting up. A decent 550w would be more than enough already.

Well I was guessing that he might be doing some sort of RAID thing where 10 all moved at the same time so eh.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well I was guessing that he might be doing some sort of RAID thing where 10 all moved at the same time so eh.

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do :)

That would still be fine. ~30w is just for the initial spin-up. At under 10w, 10 hdd's at load would still be under 100w. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That would still be fine. ~30w is just for the initial spin-up. At under 10w, 10 hdd's at load would still be under 100w. 

I guess, but say he needs to transfer a 100GB file from a flash drive to those drives. Would writing to a RAID array with all 10 of those drives spin them at the max (say 7200 RPM) for the few minutes/hours it would take to transfer that stuff?

Well OK, so 10*30=300.

What are the other system specs?

I'm still looking into some older Xeons and such but this system will purely be a NAS, most likely with Windows Server thrown on it, that's all I can really say atm.

I'm still looking into some older Xeons and such but this system will purely be a NAS, most likely with Windows Server thrown on it, that's all I can really say atm.

Oh yeah, so no need for a GPU. 500W is plenty. Probably even excessive really.

Oh yeah, so no need for a GPU. 500W is plenty. Probably even excessive really.

Thanks for the help guys :)

my home server with 3 hard drives doesnt go past 100 watts when all of them are crunching. (with the i3 maxed out as well, which is by itself almost 100 watts at load)

EDIT: i cannot measure the load upon spinup because my wattmeter is a cheap turd.

I guess, but say he needs to transfer a 100GB file from a flash drive to those drives. Would writing to a RAID array with all 10 of those drives spin them at the max (say 7200 RPM) for the few minutes/hours it would take to transfer that stuff?

Hdd's generally use under 10w at load. At idle, they use even less. ~30w is just for the initial spin-up.