How long does it take for 70% rubbing alocohol to evaporate?

Planning to clean my old cpu and wondering how long it will take the rubbing alcohol, 70%, to evaporate fully before it can be safe to put back in storage for future use

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Why use any liquid? I just take a paper towel to clean my CPU's.

I prefer to sprinkle sawdust in mine to soak up any moisture. 

Christ, some people I swear. You're supposed to use rubbing alcohol, and an anti-static cloth. Paper towels will leave small flakes of lint behind, and you risk damaging your hardware. 

Use rubbing alcohol, and let it evaporate before you put it all together. The evaporation process should take under one minute in optimal conditions.

Thermal compound will leave a clear film that will decrease temps if you do not use alcohol to wipe it down. Depends on the paste, but It's easy enough to give it a quick wipe with alcohol.

blackshades on

I prefer to sprinkle sawdust in mine to soak up any moisture. 

Christ, some people I swear. You're supposed to use rubbing alcohol, and an anti-static cloth. Paper towels will leave small flakes of lint behind, and you risk damaging your hardware. 

Use rubbing alcohol, and let it evaporate before you put it all together. The evaporation process should take under one minute in optimal conditions.

Meh. I'm used to cleaning old socket 462 "things". Antistatic cloth, Antishmatic cloth.

Q

not very long :) 5 ish?

Seconds? Minutes? hours? Days? Weeks? Months? years?

Don't get it at all 

According to any tech 

no rubbing alcohol < rubbing alcohol 

Meh. I'm used to cleaning old socket 462 "things". Antistatic cloth, Antishmatic cloth.

With an antistatic cloth, you can do the following:

• Clean most PC hardware (including removing thermal paste.)
  • Clean glasses lenses. 
  • Clean monitors.
  • Wipe off peripherals. 
  • Use it as a coaster (if need be)

It's like the multi-bit screwdriver of cleaning tools. 

I would expect it to take a similar amount of time to ethanol (normal drinking alcohol), which would be a little faster than water.  The reason it'll be quick is just because there should be very little left to evaporate after you wipe everything :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

With an antistatic cloth, you can do the following:

• Clean most PC hardware (including removing thermal paste.)
  • Clean glasses lenses. 
  • Clean monitors.
  • Wipe off peripherals. 
  • Use it as a coaster (if need be)

It's like the multi-bit screwdriver of cleaning tools. 

I have Windex to clean my stuff.

Q

usually within a minute.. wait 5 minutes to be sure :)

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Riiight... I do too. Spray some Windex on my mousepad, and give it a good strong scrubbing with my antistatic cloth.

I would expect it to take a similar amount of time to ethanol (normal drinking alcohol), which would be a little faster than water.  The reason it'll be quick is just because there should be very little left to evaporate after you wipe everything :)

So it should dry less than a minute correct..The 70% rubbing alcohol

I feel like whatever you are talking about isn't serious at this point and isn't answering my question a bit

usually within a minute.. wait 5 minutes to be sure :)

Alright will take that into consideration 

So it should dry less than a minute correct..The 70% rubbing alcohol

I feel like whatever you are talking about isn't serious at this point and isn't answering my question a bit

I'm being serious! I don't have a microfiber anything! Just Windex and Brawny!

Q

Riiight... I do too. Spray some Windex on my mousepad, and give it a good strong scrubbing with my antistatic cloth.

Yep. I clean EVERYTHING with Windex. No joke.

Q

I'm being serious! I don't have a microfiber anything! Just Windex and Brawny!

rubbing alcohol is the most common thing everyone uses to clean their cpu excluding the goo gone stuff...If it works for you then that's fine but I'm not risking to use it..Rubbing alcohol is more safer than that windex stuff regardless if you think its safe or not 

"Windex is a hybrid mixture consisting mostly of water, with the second solvent being isopropyl alcohol.  The solution also contains a weak base (ammonium hydroxide), as well as other additives including water softeners, perfumes, and surfactants (compounds that lower the surface tension between two liquids).  The ammonium hydroxide can result in undesired oxidization of whatever you're cleaning, so its use on delicate computer components is not recommended.  While this will likely work as a cleaner solvent, residue from the spray after evaporation may result in poorer than desired heat transfer or pyrolysis of the residue on the heatspreader." 

This is getting us off topic again 

Planning to clean my old cpu and wondering how long it will take the rubbing alcohol, 70%, to evaporate fully before it can be safe to put back in storage for future use

a minute with low quantity, larger ones take longer. if you didn't drown it but didn't go thin around 2 minutes?

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

I have used a sock, 3ply TP, paper towel and my finger. 

When ever I used Alcohol to clean it always dries right up. Also unless you are terrible at cleaning things you will only get the Fluid on the IHS, in which case will not be detrimental to hardware anyway. Also I like to clan the cpu while its in the socket still. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

rubbing alcohol is the most common thing everyone uses to clean their cpu excluding the goo gone stuff...If it works for you then that's fine but I'm not risking to use it..Rubbing alcohol is more safer than that windex stuff regardless if you think its safe or not 

This is getting us off topic again 

I recently used a 70% solution on mine. Used the cloth that came with my eyeglasses to remove the thermal compound. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. So far so good.

Trace amounts of rubbing alcohol will evaporate almost immediately. So long as you're good about wiping away what you apply, the rest will evaporate quickly and you'll be good to go almost immediately.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I recently used a 70% solution on mine. Used the cloth that came with my eyeglasses to remove the thermal compound. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. So far so good.

I use coffee filter, which is pretty much a lint-free cloth but a little more sensitive and weird looking 

I have used a sock, 3ply TP, paper towel and my finger. 

When ever I used Alcohol to clean it always dries right up. Also unless you are terrible at cleaning things you will only get the Fluid on the IHS, in which case will not be detrimental to hardware anyway. Also I like to clan the cpu while its in the socket still. 

Well if the cpu is out of the case, is there any danger?