According to Palmer Lucky, Your crappy PC is the biggest barrier to VR adoption

Qub3d

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/oculus-founder-your-crappy-pc-is-the-biggest-barrier-to-vr-adoption/

The headline comes from this paragraph:

"Most people have not had a reason to own a high-end PC for a long time," Luckey said in a wide-ranging AMA conversation with the "Glorious PC Master Race" subreddit yesterday. "Your crappy PC is the biggest barrier to adoption [for high-end VR]..."

Frankly, I agree. The whole "ballpark" fracas was a bad move, but I'd rather have exceptional VR if it is only a 30% price increase when considering a computer investment with the Rift. I dunno, what do you guys think?

As a counterpoint, though, a commenter on the Ars article said the following: 

I see a lot of companies are banking on this huge vr market boom, boy, are they up for a rude awakening. Reminds me of early 3d tv pushed a few years ago.

Which is a valid point. Would it be better to have good VR that is out of the reach of the majority (putting it at risk to never go mainstream) or would it be better to have an average product that many could have, even if it results in a stigma like VR in the 90s?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

A good point that tb brought up was cheaper vr headsets mean more money to get a better pc

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They took it completely out of context lol. Palmer responded to a redditor who said he had "a crappy pc". Palmer wasn't the one to bring it up.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

I own a 2200 USD PC.

I'm not about to spend a third of that on a headset for VR.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Poor Australia, the Headset ends up costing 1200 dollars. Thats as much as you need to spend on a PC  

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

The reason I invested in a PC was to be able to play the newest titles without having to invest more money on hardware. VR right now looks like its going to cost, on the lower end, the same as a console. And, one the high end, the price for an entire mid-range gaming pc...

I rather buy a console and have access to the few console exclusives than buy VR and enjoy even fewer VR capable titles.

Sidenote: I remember a while back someone (pretty sure it was this forum) told me 3d tv's were still a thing. If he is still active and watching this...SUCK IT! I WAS RIGHT BIATCH!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Seriously, what the hell is the hype with VR? In my eyes it's totally pointless, it's going to die out like wii fit.

Thank you. I don't see a single point in it. Maybe some games may be cool with it but it's crap for productivity, it's crap for competetive gaming, crap for everything than maybe 1-2 games. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

To be honest I probably spend most of my time in racing games in the oculus. Assetto corsa and pcars. And star citizen when it finally releases.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

VR Isn't a good enough reason to upgrade, so fuck off Palmer, wait until your crap actually had apps for it to convince us instead of resorting to insultd

-------

Current Rig

-------

"The biggest barrier to VR adoption is that people can't afford it. So let's make the problem even worse by pricing our product twice as high as we have repeatedly said it would cost!"

Yeah... That statement does not really help your case, Palmer.

Wow this was taken out of context. He was responding to this question:

"My question is: according to you, how long until someone in my financial situation (not a lot of disposable income) would be able to get into VR ? Would I need to wait for eye-tracking tech to be widely available cheaply for example (for foveated rendering, allowing my crappy computer to run some of the games in VR) ?"

So he was referring to a single computer which the owner had previously referred to as crappy.

Buy us new pcs then. Do a giveaway. Entire population gets high end pcs.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

my PC is great though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Seriously, what the hell is the hype with VR? In my eyes it's totally pointless, it's going to die out like wii fit.

The hype is that it's freaking amazing.

Like, get lost just painting pictures in 3D space on the Vive for HOURS amazing..

It won't die, it's not pointless.

It's just expensive right now.

The hype is that it's freaking amazing.

Like, get lost just painting pictures in 3D space on the Vive for HOURS amazing..

It won't die, it's not pointless.

It's just expensive right now.

This is how I feel. My limited VR experience (google cardboard type stuff) leads me to believe the real stuff could be amazing for some things.

It also has medical applications, I backed an app to be used to help with vision therapy issues using the Rift DK hardware.

I just wish they had hit their target price. At <$400 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

No. The biggest barrier is that most people (me included) have no option to try VR in their location or anywhere close.

Then it is price for the "not crappy PC" and the VR itself.

My PC can't handle VR but it is just because of my 770.

I would jump on the VR bandwagon if I could try it first at least. I have no idea how good \ bad it is.

Yeah I don't see myself spending that much just for a headset. An multi directional treadmill maybe, but not a headset.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

The price of that crappy piece of shit (VR) is barrier 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Is this what journalism has come to? Taking reddit posts out of context?

This is amazing.

Well he's not wrong... But we're limited by what Intel, Nvidia and AMD are releasing. If they are refusing to release anything that's more than "10% better" (if that), we can't exactly have super high end PCs. As it is, it will take at least 5 more years before VR can run on most hardware and not just the Super High End, most expensive hardware.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The price of that crappy peace of shit (VR) is barrier 

Make peace with your shit. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500