How to clone drive over to SSD?

adamsjus1

So I got a late Christmas present and its an SSD!!!  ( http://www.microcenter.com/product/456721/BX200_240GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Solid_State_Drive_CT240BX200SSD1 )

All I have to do now is move over my windows 10, all drivers, and then GTA 5 will be the only game I will put on it. 

How would you guys recommend me going about moving these files over? I have no idea how to even detect the drive with windows 10 either...

I'm not the best when it comes to software btw.

Thanks!

Edited by Godlygamer23
Edited title to be more clear.

i'd make a clean windows install tbh.

After that, download and install drivers again and if your internet is good enough just download gta again.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

So I got a late Christmas present and its an SSD!!!  ( http://www.microcenter.com/product/456721/BX200_240GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Solid_State_Drive_CT240BX200SSD1 )

All I have to do now is move over my windows 10, all drivers, and then GTA 5 will be the only game I will put on it. 

How would you guys recommend me going about moving these files over? I have no idea how to even detect the drive with windows 10 either...

Thanks!

you could clone it if the hdd is similar size

best option tho is to reinstall

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Thanks!

It's good practice to do a fresh install and just copy your files over. There will be least problems this way (random blue screens, broken software etc.).

If you are going to clone, you can use Acronis or something

Almost as cool as my temps  

In response to the question asked, I agree with the first post in that a complete re-install would be preferable but there are a number of things you can do to avoid the nuclear option.

You can buy "Disk cloning kits" from Amazon on the cheap, which include the software and a cable to connect your SSD to your computer during the cloning process.

Many SSD manufacturers sell kits in a bundle with an SSD for perhaps £10 more. Samsung's one is really good I must say having used it in the past.

If you have a desktop computer and are able to access more than one SATA port, you can use that also to clone using software both in Windows and that you can boot off of.

To maximise simplicity, I'd get a bundle with your SSD. It's not necessarily cheaper but at least you know it's going to work. I believe Crucial sells them too (or used to).

Edited by Godlygamer23

It is much safer to do a clean install, especially if you have not done one for a few years

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It is much safer to do a clean install, especially if you have not done one for a few years

Well I have had this computer for like 16 months now maybe. So... 

i'd make a clean windows install tbh.

After that, download and install drivers again and if your internet is good enough just download gta again.

So i can just write down the windows activation key and use that or would i not even have to worry about that. 

It's good practice to do a fresh install and just copy your files over. There will be least problems this way (random blue screens, broken software etc.).

If you are going to clone, you can use Acronis or something

How do i do a fresh install though....