Weird boot behavior

Hey Everyone,

Happy new year!

I'm posting as I have the weirdest boot behavior on my machine. It gets randomly stuck on different stages most of the time. Sometimes it freezes on the flashing cursor on black screen, sometimes it freezes on the windows logo without the white dots turning, sometimes it wants to do the system repair and sometimes it goes straight to the desktop with no problem.

The funny part is that it happened on win 8.1 and now it happens on win 10. Full dist wipe and fresh install don't help. BIOS update doesn't help. Removing different drives from the boot sequence and only leaving the system SSD doesn't help.

Aa and one more thing. I'm not 100% sure but it might have been happening before the hardware upgrade. The only parts that are old are the drives, psu and chassis. 

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp :)

System specs:

MB: Asus x99 pro

CPU: 5960X

32 gigs of corsair ddr4

gigabyte g1 gaming 980Ti

PSU: corsair AX860i

500 gb samsung ssd (840 evo)

Windows 10 fresh install

Don't exactly know what is wrong but I'm suspecting its a problem with the drive or the motherboard. Did you short something out or damage something by accident when upgrading the system?

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Tried clearing the CMOS?

Nope. Maybe that's the way to go. Thanks for a quick answer.

Cheers

Don't exactly know what is wrong but I'm suspecting its a problem with the drive or the motherboard. Did you short something out or damage something by accident when upgrading the system?

I don't think so. I'm quite careful with my stuff and it's not the first machine I've built. You never know but I don't suppose so....

Did you overclock CPU/RAM?

Did you activate X.M.P.?

If you were completely on stock settings you should try plugging out some RAM-Sticks and test them individually.

I do get the same behavior when I do my overclocking.

Did you overclock CPU/RAM?

Did you activate X.M.P.?

If you were completely on stock settings you should try plugging out some RAM-Sticks and test them individually.

I do get the same behavior when I do my overclocking.

XMP is not enabled but the CPU is running at 4.2 ghz currently. This is not the issue though. Even at default bios settings the problem appears. And the most difficult thing is that it's so random. Sometimes it boots ok for 10 days in a row and the next day I have to click restart button 10 times to boot the damn thing.  

After some more digging I found multiple places mentioning similar problems as I have with this particular board. It seems that Asus x99 motherboards have an issue with power management. This manifests itself in a situation where you have many usb devices connected during boot or when you have your CPU overclocked. The special cpu socket that ASUS has on x99 boards even fried the cpu in many instances. I got this board because of it's OC capabilities and now I'm scared to even use the xmp oc ;/

For now there's no solid fix and what I can do to get the system to boot every time is unplug everything except mouse and keyboard and go back to stock cpu clock. That's messed up.

I hope some bios update will fix this soon.

Cheers everyone!