Asus MG28UQ 4K 144hz Free Sync

tommi_6o

I feel like 4k and TN should never be an option. I thought we'd moved on to brighter skies, and greener pastures. 

Still.... 4K & 144hz, well done Asus!

If they are pushing this though, we may be closer to 4K + 144Hz + IPS or similar.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

and AMD is going to have 18 Billion, so what?

it's not the number of transistors that matters it's the way you use the transistors that matters, but having a great number of transistors can help

Very true. Intel is living proof of this having only 1.4 billion transistors on the 4790K yet wiping the floor with whatever Carrizo's flagship quad core will be at a whopping 3.1 billion transistors.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But still, Hardwarecanucks is the only source that says it supports 4K @ 144 Hz. I would love to see some official announcement from the Asus side. :)

Yeah it would be nice. Hardwarecanucks should be pretty good source but it still seems kinda shady. We'll know for sure in few days  :) 

Everyone who bought a 144hz 1440p monitor in the last few months is going to be mad right now  :P

No one can drive this thing at that refresh rate so I think most will be fine.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

and AMD is going to have 18 Billion, so what?

it's not the number of transistors that matters it's the way you use the transistors that matters, but having a great number of transistors can help

It's impressive as the old cards on 28nm had less then half that.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

You guys do know that DisplayPort 1.3 is being released this year right? All high end monitors will come with it.

DisplayPort 1.3 has a maximum of 3840x2160 at 120Hz with 24-bit color. 4K 144Hz could only be achieved by multiple cables, or requiring you to overclock your DP 1.3 connection (possible), using YCbCr format with subsampling (unlikely), or lower than 24-bit color depth (not happening). Or possibly some other form of compression like DSC, but according to Anandtech DSC was cut from the final DP 1.3 specification.

No one can drive this thing at that refresh rate so I think most will be fine.

My Titan Xs are waiting...

Battlefield 4 can be easily pushed over 100fps in 4K with two Titan Xs.

Yes but you can count the number of people with 2 Titan Xs on 2 hands. I'm not saying it's a dump product, just that "barely" anyone will be able to run it.

laptop

Everyone who bought a 144hz 1440p monitor in the last few months is going to be mad right now  :P

Nobody no matter what set up can push 144hz at 4k at any kind of reasonable detail levels.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't think your titan x's have the DP 1.3 connector this will require.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Virtex-Ultrascale XCVU440 has 20b and Samsungs 16GB DRAM packs more than 137b transistors

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the cleverness and genious behind the dog's engineers, unless the dog is really f-ing big then you're screwed anyway.

Love this anaolgy

Looks like a nice future proof monitor. If its true i might consider getting one. Dont want to buy a monitor every year and ive been looking for a freesync 4k for a while. This might be it for me

I have no signature

Why? There's no way in hell this is in the same price range as my monitor, nor will I even be able to drive it at those refresh rates.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

there was a point where we should have slowed down

we have clearly passed it

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

One guy said his dual Titan-Xs are waiting and another mentioned Pascal. That's cool but this is a FreeSync monitor, not G-Sync.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

One guy said his dual Titan-Xs are waiting and another mentioned Pascal. That's cool but this is a FreeSync monitor, not G-Sync.

Nvidia fanboys are everywhere i am surprised zmeul has not come here,

Err... Not really.. Not like anyone is going to be able to run games 4K @ 144Hz.

I'd much rather get the PG348Q 1440p 100Hz Curved Gsync Ultrawide...

Which simply mean the VRR tech wouldn't be active, not that the monitor could not be used. FreeSync/gSync is really for when you really don't have enough horsepower.

I can't understand this fanboy crap. YOU buy the product which is best for YOU. End of story.

Too bad the only games you could run at 144 fps would look the same at 1080p.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Inb4 $2500

It won't be an ips panel so I doubt it.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

It won't be an ips panel so I doubt it.

ASUS sells both Freesync and G-sync monitors, if they price this one too low, they're outcompeting themselves. If this is even close to $1000 it'll become too popular since it really would make no sense to buy literally anything else for gaming.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

ASUS sells both Freesync and G-sync monitors, if they price this one too low, they're outcompeting themselves. If this is even close to $1000 it'll become too popular since it really would make no sense to buy literally anything else for gaming.

Perhaps you're right. Still, I doubt anyone would be willing to shell out $2500 for a tn panel.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

What would be great is if g-sync gets rid of the price premium to match adaptive sync standardization.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero