LG announce the UH9800, the world's first 8K HDR TV and will be available to buy this year

jos

lg_98uh9800-970-80_story.jpg

LG has an answer for you in the form of the UH9800, a 98-inch monster, which just happens to be the world’s first 8K HDR TV. So, what are you getting for your (as yet unknown) money?

• 8K resolution – 7680 x 4320
  • IPS panel with LG ColorPrime Plus technology
  • webOS 3.0
  • superMHL

While this is just the tip of the features offered, expect internet connectivity to bring the Smart TV functionality and if 3D is still a thing, it should be included as well. It's just a shame an OLED panel isn't included. But as this is just the natural evolution of existing TVs and their feature sets, the one new feature that we should talk about more is superMHL.

superMHL was announced at CES last year. It delivers 8K video up to 120 frames-per-second, 48-bit color depth support, HDR support, and backward compatibility with existing MHL 1, MHL 2 and MHL 3 standards. 8K video just wouldn't be possible without it!

Source

We won't likely see 8K televisions populating our living rooms anytime soon, so it's easy to consider this a display of unnecessary excess. And it is — that's what makes CES great. Tech companies pull out all the stops to produce what can only be described as a gadget lover's fantasy come to life. We won't ever be able to afford a 98-inch 8K TV for ourselves, unless a company figures out how to replicate one in virtual reality. So longingly looking at a display with a resolution and breadth that can melt your brain is part of the fun.

Time to break into CES! And then watch all of 2 youtube videos which comprise all the 8k content on the entire internet! 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Expected launch price: $16,000

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Expected launch price: $16,000

If it's that cheap, I'll buy one. :P

I expect the price will be much higher. Remember Samsung's 110" 4k smart TV for $150,000?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Sooo, how can anything even run 8k?

Would i need like 4x DP Cables from pc to monitor? Lmao

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

wow 89 ppi on that big of screen... wow

you can almost use it as a monitor haha. your neck would hurt though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Most people don't even have 4K TV's, pretty sure we'll have to wait 2020 before 8K becomes mainstream

Any news on the price? I'm gonna bet on $125,000

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Most people don't even have 4K TV's, pretty sure we'll have to wait 2020 before 8K becomes mainstream

Any news on the price? I'm gonna bet on $125,000

8K won't become the "mainstream" in 2020. You have to understand that 1080p isn't even mainstream yet. A lot of cable providers and even Netflix, Hulu, etc, are still in the 480p / 720p era. 1080p is only offered on cable / satellite through movie channels / rentals, and 1080p on streaming services isn't as rare, but it still isn't the norm. I'd say we'll see 4K become the 1440p of today, and 8K the 4K of today, tops.

8K won't become the "mainstream" in 2020. You have to understand that 1080p isn't even mainstream yet. A lot of cable providers and even Netflix, Hulu, etc, are still in the 480p / 720p era. 1080p is only offered on cable / satellite through movie channels / rentals, and 1080p on streaming services isn't as rare, but it still isn't the norm. I'd say we'll see 4K become the 1440p of today, and 8K the 4K of today, tops.

It depends on what you are looking at: I'm talking about the TV sets themselves (I expect sub $1000 8K TV sets by 2020) and you are talking about 8K content

guess LG got bored or had nothing to show at CES
why this exists!? UHD-1 still isn't mainstream but we already have UHD-2 displays  :blink:

guess LG got bored or had nothing to show at CES

why this exists!? UHD-1 still isn't mainstream but we already have UHD-2 displays  :blink:

UHD-2 display is available since last year from Sharp. This year Samsung is bringing one too. But this can be considered as 2nd gen as it is 8K with HDR. it will be costly Sharps TV is piced at $133K...

UHD-2 display is available since last year from Sharp. This year Samsung is bringing one too. But this can be considered as 2nd gen as it is 8K with HDR. it will be costly Sharps TV is piced at $133K...

giphy.gif

we don't even have UHD-1 transmission yet

most of the world didn't even went fully to 1080i

It's baffling how people can be wowed by an 8K TV in 2016. They first showed it off at CES 2012.

If they had announced an 8K TV for $2,999, yeah that would be amazing

like 4k when that was new....cant wait to game on such beasts in my thirties

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I don't even care and think people have gone mad if they think this is great... 1080p is not fully realized outside of PC gaming and Bluray.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Yeah.... It's impossible to even find real 4K content (youtube's and netflix's 4K bitrate is lower than bluray), the new broadcast standard they're working on is 4K, the new bluray disc standard coming out soon is 4K, and no computer hardware out there right now is going to power games at 8K. Useless product.

At what point does gain from jumping to higher resolutions become negligible?

If you had a 98 inch 4k TV and this TV both 10 feet away from you, would you really notice any real difference? Somehow I don't really think so

The best part is that it's completely pointless xD by the time we see 8k content (and not just 2-3 youtube videos) everything about this tv will most likely be outdated and obsolete.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Interesting, good to see they're still pushing forward with it. I think LG had more break throughs in the screen space this year though. Some pretty interesting stuff coming out of their camp.

2016 the year of OLED, HDR, die shrinks, NVME, and presidential elections.  This is a good year.

Unless Trump gets voted in ;)

Though I think he'd get assassinated before anyone let that happen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's baffling how people can be wowed by an 8K TV in 2016. They first showed it off at CES 2012.

If they had announced an 8K TV for $2,999, yeah that would be amazing

but it is 8K with High Dynamic Range....which is new....