Free Oculus Rift For Kickstarter Backers

Treboren

Oculus is going above and beyond there initial promise to Kickstarter backers. In a video, Palmer Luckey (founder of Oculus), Brendan Iribe (CEO) and Nate Mitchell (VP of Product) announced that every Kickstarter backer that pledged enough for a Development Kit will get a free consumer edition.

It seems like a very nice gesture from Oculus,  along with a demonstration of what Facebook money can do.

Nate Mitchell said 'You guys were the earliest believers, we can't wait to see what you think'.

Now I really wish I had backed the Kickstarter...

Sourcehttp://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10714554/oculus-rift-kickstarter-backers-free-consumer-headset-ces-2016

Wow good on them

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Bummer its been over for a while.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Woohoo! I get an Oculus!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

If they're backers, and paid, how is this free? This is why they fucking backed it.

no, they backed it to get a developer kit. which they got. so this one is for free.

conclusio: nice move from oculus.

If they're backers, and paid, how is this free? This is why they fucking backed it.

Perhaps they only backed the Dev kit got the Dev kit and the cv1?

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

When those backers originally signed up they only paid for -and expected to receive- the early dev kits. Now, not only did they get their dev kits, Oculus is gifting them a consumer model for free. Saves those people a couple hundred dollars.

edit: Late to the reply :/

Edited by GeekJump

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

This is damn awesome from Oculus! Considering they fulfilled their obligation to all backers and go further is great to see. Although being owned by Facebook helps in terms of finances now. All in all a good PR move and much appreciated. Oculus would not be where it is now if not for the backers.

They backed for a dev kit, not the retail version. 

This topic doesn't meet the posting requirements for this section

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

If you don't update it it will end up locked :)

Great news though, Occulus really went above and beyond on this one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

*sigh* Sure, sure you backed the dev kit only, totally not a ripoff. Come on, the emperor it's fucking naked guys.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Come on, the emperor it's fucking naked guys.

wahhh??? Is this a bad auto correct?

Even tho I personally dislike VR, I know many people that got the DEV kit and found it more than worth what they backed on the funding. So those people are probably super happy they don't have to worrying about pre-ordering the official one

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

1) It's an old tale Google it

2) If it wasn't for the backers the Occulus guys wouldn't be millionaires after the Facebook acquisition, yet they're acting as if this was a generous act? It's the bare fucking minimum they can do.

-------

Current Rig

-------

*sigh* Sure, sure you backed the dev kit only, totally not a ripoff. Come on, the emperor it's fucking naked guys.

The Kickstarter very specifically said it was for DK1. They didn't send out free DK2's to backers and there was absolutely ZERO indication that they would give final release units to backers. If anyone backed it thinking they would get free CV1's they ended up being right but they're still fucking idiots.

2) If it wasn't for the backers the Occulus guys wouldn't be millionaires after the Facebook acquisition, yet they're acting as if this was a generous act? It's the bare fucking minimum they can do.

Wrong. The ONLY obligation they had to backers was to give them what they paid for when backing. Which is what they did. Expecting anything more is pure fucking entitlement.

I don't really see the point besides good PR. 

It's not like most of those people would not buy CV1.

This topic doesn't meet the posting requirements for this section

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

If you don't update it it will end up locked :)

Great news though, Occulus really went above and beyond on this one.

I hope it now meets the requirements, sorry was busy earlier and really wanted to post it, :)

The Kickstarter very specifically said it was for DK1. They didn't send out free DK2's to backers and there was absolutely ZERO indication that they would give final release units to backers. If anyone backed it thinking they would get free CV1's they ended up being right but they're still fucking idiots

Wrong. The ONLY obligation they had to backers was to give them what they paid for when backing. Which is what they did. Expecting anything more is pure fucking entitlement.

So they're were asking for free money with 0 motherfucking legal consequences or obligations, got it, pocketed it since they were bought by Facebook and gave 0 fucking kickbacks to said backers that made it possible and get this: anyone being critical is "entitled"

Suuuuuure

-------

Current Rig

-------

So they're were asking for free money with 0 motherfucking legal consequences or obligations, got it, pocketed it since they were bought by Facebook and gave 0 fucking kickbacks to said backers that made it possible and get this: anyone being critical is "entitled"

Suuuuuure

Kickstarter is not an investment. People paid money to BUY a DK1. They were given a DK1. That is literally the end of Oculus' legal obligation. You are due absolutely ZERO kickbacks on any money someone makes on Kickstarter. You pledge for a certain amount and get given what you bought, simple as that. Anything beyond that is people being delusional.

Kickstarter is not an investment. People paid money to BUY a DK1. They were given a DK1. That is literally the end of Oculus' legal obligation. You are due absolutely ZERO kickbacks on any money someone makes on Kickstarter. You pledge for a certain amount and get given what you bought, simple as that. Anything beyond that is people being delusional.

I don't disagree with your view, but your statements are wrong. Kickstarter is an investment (which is defined by "investing money for profit or material result). They paid money for the potential of getting a DK1 (since there are kickstarters that have failed/not given back anything).

I don't disagree with your view, but your statements are wrong. Kickstarter is an investment (which is defined by "investing money for profit or material result). They paid money for the potential of getting a DK1 (since there are kickstarters that have failed/not given back anything).

An investment implies you will see a ROI based upon profits and success of the product. Investments also come with different legal requirements and ramifications. With Kickstarter any of the reward tiers is essentially a higher-risk version of a pre-order.

It's good PR but bad business (money wise) to give free product to the one market you're guarantee will buy your product. Like I said in a previous post, the people I knew were prob all planning to buy the consumer model but now don't have to worry about it.

Of course, Facebook throwing billions at them was a major factor in this decision.

Unless a Kickstarter tier gives equity in the product/company, I don't see it as an investment. People donate money either to support a cause they like or to get the rewards promised to them in that tier. It would be weird for me to donate to a company on Kickstarter and expect more then what was stated. I doubt any of those backers expected a consumer product as a bonus when they first donated.

An investment implies you will see a ROI based upon profits and success of the product. Investments also come with different legal requirements and ramifications. With Kickstarter any of the reward tiers is essentially a higher-risk version of a pre-order.

Unless a Kickstarter tier gives equity in the product/company, I don't see it as an investment. People donate money either to support a cause they like or to get the rewards promised to them in that tier. It would be weird for me to donate to a company on Kickstarter and expect more then what was stated. I doubt any of those backers expected a consumer product as a bonus when they first donated.

in·vest

inˈvest/Submit
verb
expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

By definition of invest (as shown above and can be searched using google), putting money with the expectation of receiving a DK1 (which is material result) is an investment. There really is no arguing against this. Putting money into a kickstarter is the same as investing, since as shown through many examples of kickstarter projects, some people do not get any return despite their expectation. "If you put X amount of money into my company, I will give you Y" is a prime example of people giving reasons for you to invest, regardless of whether Y is company share or a product.

By definition of invest (as shown above and can be searched using google), putting money with the expectation of receiving a DK1 (which is material result) is an investment. There really is no arguing against this. Putting money into a kickstarter is the same as investing, since as shown through many examples of kickstarter projects, some people do not get any return despite their expectation.

No, it is not. Not only does Kickstarter itself very specifically say it is not an investment, the way the term is used for companies does not apply. Words have meaning and context beyond the exact dictionary definition of them.

Also

investment

noun

the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

And here is the full initial meaning of invest

to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciationin value.

And according to Merriam-Webster

to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return