Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mechanical Keyboard Club!

On 2/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, geo3 said:

No, it's too thin. 

Also no. I used to use dielectric on stabs and I think it makes them a bit sluggish. IMO the optimal lube is 205 G2, which can be found on amazon in tubes. Super lube with PTFE is another alternative though. 

Yeah I've looked for that on amazon and there's nothing here ... can only find gpl 204 and gpl 215 0,5oz tube for over 100 $ ... which I'm not paying ... I've looked on ebay and the only thing I could find was the gpl 205 g0 so nah ...

found the 205g2 on amazon.com 0,5oz for 21$ + 8,15$ shipping ... and I don't know if it's in USD or CAD ... so about 30$ for a small tube. 

... also for the super lube the best bang for the buck is a 400g can for 21$ .... which would last me for years to come ... the smaller size are quite expensive for the amount you are getting. 

anything else than super lube ... something like singer sewing machine oil or something like that maybe ?

Also is it the same lube that you use for stabilizer and for springs (to eliminate spring ping) ?

I5 10600K

Sapphire nitro+ RX 590 SE

32 Gb g.skill trident Z ddr4 3200mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Corsair HX 850 gold semi-modular PSU

Noctua NH-U12S with a second noctua NF-F12 fan

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

XTRFY M42 Retro

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh switches mostly with YMDK double shot PBT retro keycaps

19 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Yeah I've looked for that on amazon and there's nothing here ... can only find gpl 204 and gpl 215 0,5oz tube for over 100 $ ... which I'm not paying ... I've looked on ebay and the only thing I could find was the gpl 205 g0 so nah ...

found the 205g2 on amazon.com 0,5oz for 21$ + 8,15$ shipping ... and I don't know if it's in USD or CAD ... so about 30$ for a small tube. 

... also for the super lube the best bang for the buck is a 400g can for 21$ .... which would last me for years to come ... the smaller size are quite expensive for the amount you are getting. 

anything else than super lube ... something like singer sewing machine oil or something like that maybe ?

Also is it the same lube that you use for stabilizer and for springs (to eliminate spring ping) ?

You mean 205g0 or?

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

🤔😳

Spoiler

IMG_20210220_192630.thumb.jpg.f2cf9e8bbd57c7efadd3b0ac69009688.jpgIMG_20210220_162933.thumb.jpg.460939ad05ff1d47d787c8226380802c.jpg

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, ProBottler said:

You mean 205g0 or?

I have 205g0 ... i want something for the stabs and the springs ... can't find 205g2 on amazon.ca and it's quite expensive to get a 0.5 oz tube here so I wanted to know if there's something else than that and super lube for lubing stabs and springs

I5 10600K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

XTRFY M42 Retro

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh switches mostly with YMDK double shot PBT retro keycaps

7 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I have 205g0 ... i want something for the stabs and the springs ... can't find 205g2 on amazon.ca and it's quite expensive to get a 0.5 oz tube here so I wanted to know if there's something else than that and super lube for lubing stabs and springs

From my experience, 205g0 is thick enough for use on stabs while being thin enough to be able to lube switches. For the spring you can just lube the pole on the bottom housing, lightly lube both ends of the spring with your brush and it should work.

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

So, where does one buy a set of switches? 

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Completely depends on what switches you're after.

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

NovelKeys, KBDFans, or the other dozens of stores:

(See section 6.0)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 2/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I got 99% of my stuff from KBDfans, quality and service was great, but shipping to canada was $30 USD and then there was another $30 CAD for import fees. id assume it would be cheaper for a smaller item, but I doubt it would be anything reasonable. However, theyve had quite a few discount codes you can find with honey. I also would guess that shipping and import fees would change with the US, but IDK if they would go up or down (US-China tarrifs could raise them, but US also imports much more products).

Maybe someone also from the US can add to that? 

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

KBDFans Low profile Aluminum Case - Gateron Milky Blacks w/ Krytox - PBT Flighter Keycaps

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

So here's my two. The bottom one is a G Pro with Romer-G tactiles that ended up getting some pretty good blue LED failure after about 6 months. Currently use it for my XP rig whenever I use it with the backlight set to red and saved to memory.

The top one is my current daily driver which is a G Pro X with tactiles (the RMA replacement for the first board), and now it's slowly starting to develop blue LED failure as well (currently just a slight red tinge on the S key, just like how it started on the first one). Kinda hoping by running this hot pink (which uses the blue as fully as possible) I can coax some more LEDs to fail to get yet another replacement.

IMG_0956.thumb.jpg.1ebd6b2fa3507180672235b390e1e0b1.jpg

The PSU tier list + cultists are a joke that nobody should actually take seriously

Main rig on profile

Zephyrus - Windows 7 side rig

Spoiler

AMD Athlon II X2 260 (undervolted to 1.225v w/ CM 212 EVO), 2x2GB 1333MHz CL7 HyperX, Asus M4A77TD, 120GB 840 EVO, 250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.6, EVGA GTX 960 SC, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I w/ Centrino 6300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB (Falcon w/ busted laser), XB1X 1TB, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB

2L1A0431-Edit.thumb.jpg.99c6508c72566c4fe4494447c103d686.jpg

A GMMK TKL I threw together with lubed Glorious Pandas and NP PBT Caps.

Giving it away on the forum.

5 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

2L1A0431-Edit.thumb.jpg.99c6508c72566c4fe4494447c103d686.jpg

A GMMK TKL I threw together with lubed Glorious Pandas and NP PBT Caps.

Giving it away on the forum.

Those are some beautiful keycaps ...

I5 10600K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

XTRFY M42 Retro

On 2/23/2021 at 12:23 AM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You can get Buckling Springs at Unicomp.

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

You can get Buckling Springs at Unicomp.

I think you confused "keyboard" and "switches".

:)

22 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Buckling Springs actually are switches.

They are not discrete switches as they don't work without the rest of the assembly (spring, flipper, barrel plate, membrane, back plate, and keycap).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Depends on which Buckling Springs you mean - the M ones or the F ones?

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Both lol but Unicomp only sells M.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

32 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Fs have no membrane.

Irrelevant. They are still not discrete switch modules.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

Regardless, both designs require a communal sensing mechanism whether it is a capsense PCB or a membrane. You cannot break off each switch into a discrete "plug-n-play" module to put in any keyboard (as I assume the person asking for where to get switches desires). And to put them into your own custom keyboard, you'd have to design and manufacture your own PCB/membrane and barrel plate to support them or modify and manufacture someone else's pre-existing design.

Shark lover, CompSci research student, qualified game dev, part-time web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000, GTX 980, Corsair 110R, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 2x120GB SSD for VMs and repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair VS650, Windows 10 Pro + Arch Linux.

Weirdo time, ION x ai03 Equinox, built with very old Cherry MX Blacks:

ion_ai03_equinox_angled_qwerty_iso.thumb.jpg.b0bf3951917393c30f16a19eeed61619.jpg

I type with a variation of the Colemak layout, hence the weird position of the '?/' key. Also, Caps Lock is my Backspace. Keys to reflect the actual layout are still on their way.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:15 PM, Eschew said:

😅

I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect a list of every single mechanical switch currently in existance...

Made a video about my build on YT!

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

KBDFans Low profile Aluminum Case - Gateron Milky Blacks w/ Krytox - PBT Flighter Keycaps

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a corsair K55. I dont have a huge budget, but with selling my current and some extra cash I am looking for a mechanical keyboard. Are there any favorites/recommended that arent super expensive that I could look into? 

2 minutes ago, Juanca999 said:

I have a corsair K55. I dont have a huge budget, but with selling my current and some extra cash I am looking for a mechanical keyboard. Are there any favorites/recommended that arent super expensive that I could look into? 

Keychron's keyboards start at $69 for a basic white backlight, Gateron switches and plastic case. They're pretty decent for that money.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.