Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Hey guys, I got an MK730 from Cooler Master yesterday and I really like it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the color of the keycaps. Are there any colors/sets I should be looking at to better suit the color of my desk? https://i.imgur.com/17kaz2e.jpg

I'm also thinking about getting about a desk mat but I'm not sure what color would look best for that either.

2 hours ago, CptHenry said:

Hey guys, I got an MK730 from Cooler Master yesterday and I really like it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the color of the keycaps. Are there any colors/sets I should be looking at to better suit the color of my desk? https://i.imgur.com/17kaz2e.jpg

I'm also thinking about getting about a desk mat but I'm not sure what color would look best for that either.

Any of these look interesting.

a967e2e4a1c4c4e38fbade831ca2b868.jpg

Standard_800x.png

U4zYC42.jpg

yS0PQln.png

regular_base_1024x1024@2x.png

Kit-Base.jpg

ZZ9009.jpg

f5yKcTP.png

Sail_1280x.png

bngogudxv5331.jpg

W0tcZRM.jpg

_231163644_bVG1pCqB9bzk0AwrKCB544RwhX5xI

3 hours ago, geo3 said:

Any of these look interesting.

The 1st, 4th, and 11th ones look nice.

14 hours ago, CptHenry said:

The 1st, 4th, and 11th ones look nice.

The first set is Honeywell

OEM Profile https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5468

DSA Profile https://www.originativeco.com/products/dsa-honeywell

SA Profile https://www.originativeco.com/products/sa-honeywell

The 4th is Carbon These are kind of hard to find, and there are lot's of lower quality knock offs of it

This one looks okayish: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32885456657.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d0c25ddscpsDO&algo_pvid=682edd67-3f93-4e2f-9b7c-20cbfc40110e&algo_expid=682edd67-3f93-4e2f-9b7c-20cbfc40110e-29&btsid=0ab6d67915871562924387598e0449&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Or you could try to buy a set of r/mechmarkey.

11th is SA Ice/Snow caps.  Ice is uniform SA profile, Snow is sculpted SA profile.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-ice-cap-keyset/

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-p-snow-cap-keyset-original/

Although I'm not sure if you meant 11 or 12 so 12th is MT3 Profile (Similar to sculpted SA) dev/tty caps

https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Matt3o-Keycap-Tenkeyless-Keyboards/dp/B081DFDXMV

Ah, I see. Bit out of my price range, but thanks for the help!

On 4/12/2020 at 3:00 AM, geo3 said:

This is a relatively affordable 75% option, but still a bit above your budget.

Thanks for the recommendations. After some thinking, I think I'd like to go with the 100% GMMK hotswap board. I can get it locally for 70 euro, which is about the same that 75% board you linked would cost. I figured I should probably just keep the numpad with the amount of excel and sql I do on a weekly basis. I've read good reviews on the GMMK, so I'm assuming it's a decent board without any glaring flaws? 

I'm having a hell of a time finding a keycap set in Belgian Azerty though. I'm starting to think they just don't exist at all. I'm at a point where I think I'd either get all blank keycaps, or maybe UK-ISO. I had hoped that UK-ISO would also have fancy/pretty keycap sets to maybe upgrade to at a later date. But I get the impression that all the cool keycap sets are in US-ANSI only. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places though. 

Those gateron silents you linked look like they'd be a good fit for me. A bit of a shame about the 25 dollar shipping cost on kbdfans but what can you do. I was looking around a bit, and apparently outemu makes some good silent stems/switches in their silent forest switch. I've also read being quiet is the only thing they excel at, everything else being lesser compared to gateron/cherry. 
I did come across this particular listing, which lists "outemu silent white" and "outemu silent greys". I've only found two reddit posts about them, apparently the whites are linear silents and the greys are tactile silents. They're pretty cheap, but I guess they're completely new because I can't find any word on them. I don't suppose any of you have thoughts about them? Or should I just stay away from outemu switches? They don't seem to get recommended a lot. 

What switches are generally more reliable? Razer Green or Cherry MX Blues, trying to decide between a K70 MK.2 or a Blackwidow Elite. Also which ones are clickier

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

17 minutes ago, Guiltyx said:

What switches are generally more reliable? Razer Green or Cherry MX Blues, trying to decide between a K70 MK.2 or a Blackwidow Elite. Also which ones are clickier

Both switches are reliable. However neither board is all that great, or reliable. 

CPU | Ryzen 7 2700X MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (not my proudest buy but it was on sale at the time) RAM3200mhz Trident Z 16GB GPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 CaseLian Li 011 Air Storage500GB NVME for boot, 1TB storage, x3 3TB in raid 5 for long term storage PSUThermaltake Toughpower Grand Display(s)240hz 1080p Asus display, 4k cheap display from korea Cooling | Enermax LIQFusion 240mm Keyboard(s) | White fox w/ NK Creams( lubed with 205g0) and DSA Nerd Keycaps
, Tofu (e-white) w/ Hako Royal Purples (lubed with 104g0) and GMK Olivia, TGR Alice w/ Nixies (lubed with 205g0), Switch Coulture Alice w/ C3 Tangerines (lubed with 205g0) waiting for DSA Magic Girl, HHKB Pro 2, Leopold FC660C MiceGlorious Model O, Zowie Divina EC1-B, Logitech MX Master

1 hour ago, Guiltyx said:

Both switches are reliable but neither of those boards are great. Also, if you're looking for a nice, sharp click, I'd suggest looking for boards with Kailh Box Whites.

They're pretty common in Hexgears boards!

15 hours ago, Pancaek said:

I did come across this particular listing, which lists "outemu silent white" and "outemu silent greys". I've only found two reddit posts about them, apparently the whites are linear silents and the greys are tactile silents. They're pretty cheap, but I guess they're completely new because I can't find any word on them. I don't suppose any of you have thoughts about them? Or should I just stay away from outemu switches? They don't seem to get recommended a lot. 

I don't know about the new outemu lineup but I can tell you that the blue ones I have on my redragon k552 are quite loud.  I mean blue are clicky switches and meant to be loud but it's not the click that annoys me, it's the ping and reverb that comes from the spring.  When you remove the keycap and actuate the switch slowly that click is quite nice and not that loud, if the upstroke was dampened it probably would be ok for me ... It's probably because redragon put the cheapest they could find in their 40$ keyboard.  For the price it's an ok switch, I just wish they were not that loud.

12 hours ago, CptHenry said:

Alright I found this set on Amazon and bought the last one in stock. Should be here next week. 614JYns7v9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I really like that set and was really close to ordering it in full size layout. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

21 hours ago, Guiltyx said:

Honestly, I use an elite, and I don't regret it. In my personal opinion almost all corsair peripherals are like cheap plastic toys lol, but both should be fine, although the new razer greens are rated at 70 millions keystrokes instead of the mx blue's 50, 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

21 hours ago, Guiltyx said:

Honestly, I use an elite, and I don't regret it. In my personal opinion almost all corsair peripherals are like cheap plastic toys lol, but both should be fine, although the new razer greens are rated at 70 millions keystrokes instead of the mx blue's 50, 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

well bois, i've officially got a lily58 build underway. All the parts are ordered, but the board won't be complete for like 4-5 months because i forgot how drop.com works when I ordered the keycaps. I might order a cheap ortho set from amazon in the meantime

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

My first "big boy" board. Geez is there a big difference in build quality and feel between this and my old Corsair K70 & Redragon board. Sounds and feels delicious. Vortex Race 3 RGB with Cherry Red's & Kraken cable. 

20200422_164140.thumb.jpg.9a05d404852fc9cd24ccdd595d611ba2.jpg

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

50 minutes ago, kontradictions said:

Took a few tries to get the switches the way I wanted them.

Built with Milky Top Tealios with 68g Springs lubed with 205g0 on the switch and 105 on the spring.

What are milky top zeals? Did you take the top off a milky Gateron?  How does that effect the feel and sound? 

4 minutes ago, geo3 said:

What are milky top zeals? Did you take the top off a milky Gateron?  How does that effect the feel and sound? 

Yep, it's exactly that. It doesn't affect the feel much, if at all. But it definitely cuts down on how high pitched the stock Tealios are.

Stock Tealio

Milky Top

8 minutes ago, kontradictions said:

Yep, it's exactly that. It doesn't affect the feel much, if at all. But it definitely cuts down on how high pitched the stock Tealios are.

Stock Tealio

Milky Top

Oh no,  do I have to go out a buy a bunch of milky gaterons now? 

Were these recordings made with lose switches or mounted in a plate? 

11 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Oh no,  do I have to go out a buy a bunch of milky gaterons now? 

Were these recordings made with lose switches or mounted in a plate? 

Haha mayyyyyybeeee.

They were done with loose switches and a PBT keycap. Sadly I didn't do a recording of the board with stock switches in it.

I have built a dactyl manuform with gateron blues, but I'm planning on rewiring it with box jade or box navies, I haven't decided which yet.  I'm also going to use some single switch PCBs to make the soldering easier.

Any thoughts on box jade vs box navy?

1 hour ago, smug_lisp_weenie said:

I have built a dactyl manuform with gateron blues, but I'm planning on rewiring it with box jade or box navies, I haven't decided which yet.  I'm also going to use some single switch PCBs to make the soldering easier.

Any thoughts on box jade vs box navy?

So box Jades will feel closer to the gaterons because they are lighter, and I've heard that the weight of the Jades can tire out your fingers, but the best way for you to decide would be to try them both, either by buying a tester or sample pack, or a pack of ten of each, which might help you get a better feel than with singles.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|