Why are there not a lot of portable solid state drives?

SauronsV

I was thinking about getting a portable hard drive or ssd and realised there are not a lot of portable ssd, I can only find a few and none with really good reviews. Is there a reason for this? 

You just have been looking for it at the wrong places.

-dw-

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was thinking about getting a portable hard drive or ssd and realised there are not a lot of portable ssd, I can only find a few and none with really good reviews. Is there a reason for this? 

Well there are a few, however SSD drives are still more expensive than HDDs for price per gigabyte.  A 1TB portable SSD would cost around $500 while a 1TB HDD could be as cheap as $50-100.

And people buy portable drives not to keep them connected to a PC and running 100% of the time.  They use it to store files and take them where they need to without having to carry a laptop.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Well there are a few, however SSD drives are still more expensive than HDDs for price per gigabyte.  A 1TB portable SSD would cost around $500 while a 1TB HDD could be as cheap as $50-100.

And people buy portable drives not to keep them connected to a PC and running 100% of the time.  They use it to store files and take them where they need to without having to carry a laptop.

well I think that they only run 100% of the time. Only when connected to a pc... Sorry I had to.

That is called a flash drive, but if you really want a portable ssd, buy a cheap usb 3 to sata connector and a cheap ssd, there you go, a portable SSD.

because they don't make sense. the major speed advantage of an SSD is as a boot device, and the use for an external hard drive is usually a backup device. while there are some users who will benifit significantly from portable SSDs, many people will see them as overpriced, so why bother making them and trying to market them?

What is the best budget hard drive then? The samsung m3 seems good

External USB 3.0/eSATA 2.5" Enclosure + 2.5" SSD = Done.

I used to run all of my Steam/Origin/Battle.net library off of a single 120GB Samsung 830 via USB 3.0 and the performance (writes and reads) was over double what I was getting from onboard SATA HDDs.

-KuJoe

There are plenty knocking around... But there's not exactly a huge market for them like there is with HDDs, what most people want out of portable storage is achievable by a cheap flash drive.

Tbf, if I wanted an external SSD, I'd just buy an SSD and an enclosure.