I think my GPU is dead

C1intFunWood

Hey guys,

So I got this GPU back from a RMA a few months back from ASUS I've never used this GPU as the main card in my CF setup. I've just taken my GPUS apart and plasti dipped them.

The problem is that when I boot it up as the main now, and login, the screen artifacts and black screens.

I believe that this card is a refurbished unit because it didn't come in its original package and when I opened it up it looked like this, (In imgur album, third image)

Before I dipped this card, the power LEDS were red and green for one of the connector ports, even when there is nothing plugged into that port

http://imgur.com/a/2EKSX

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Did you test it before modifying it? Could be a power issue.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

That means it's an issue with power delivery. Check cables.

I have and I've used the cable that I used for the main GPU same LED code

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Did you test it before modifying it? Could be a power issue.

Not really, I just plugged it in as a secondary card and just went with it

Do you guys think I should send it back?

Maybe you can replace the thermal compound as the thermal compound looks like its gone AWOL

Maybe you can replace the thermal compound as the thermal compound looks like its gone AWOL

I did, took me like 2 hours to clean out too.

Try a different card.

What do you mean? Like in the same PCI-E Slot?

What on earth is that TIM? looks like slop. Anyway I assume you have tried your 2nd card as the primary driver?

What on earth is that TIM? looks like slop. Anyway I assume you have tried your 2nd card as the primary driver?

Yes, the secondary card is now being used as the main and it has problems.

Yes, the secondary card is now being used as the main and it has problems.

So both cards are having issues? I find it hard to believe both your cards have gone kaput. Can you try using a different PCIE lane as the driver?

So both cards are having issues? I find it hard to believe both your cards have gone kaput. Can you try using a different PCIE lane as the driver?

No, just the secondary card has issues, I'm currently using the second slot, should I switch to first?

Do you think I should just send it back?

No, just the secondary card has issues, I'm currently using the second slot, should I switch to first?

Do you think I should just send it back?

Possibly, but if you have plastic dipped it you might have voided the warranty so be careful. As one last resort have you tried using different PCIE power connectors?

Possibly, but if you have plastic dipped it you might have voided the warranty so be careful. As one last resort have you tried using different PCIE power connectors?

Yes, I have tried connectors that I know that work