Intel Stock Cooler - 90C Temps Bad?

My gaming PC has one main problem: CPU cooling. I have an i5 4670k (not overclocked) cooled by the stock Intel heatsync, and my temps aren't the best... I've had the CPU hit 90+ degrees Celsius while playing GTA V, and even 100 degrees when trying to record with OBS CPU encoding at the same time. Is this gonna kill my CPU, or will throttling keep these rare temperature spikes from causing any major damage? Thanks!

kind of a reason intel put a thermal throttling limit on their CPUs.

keep riding on the thermal edge can reduce the CPUs lifespan.

time to look for an inexpensive HSF kit.

it's not the best situation for your cpu, but it'll most likely will not damage your cpu that much. I'd recommend get a cheap aftermarket one (e.g. be quiet pure rock or 212 evo)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

The CPU wont get damaged (in the short term) from heat, it will throttle and if it gets to TJunction, it will shut itself down.

That being said, repaste or get a 212 Evo.

buy a 212 evo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Delid that guy.

Haswell (original) was notorious for bad TIM' s. Replace it ASAP.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Those are terrible temps even on the stock Intel HSF.

Exactly. Mine only reached 78 deg. during prime27.9...

Delid that guy.

Haswell (original) was notorious for bad TIM' s. Replace it ASAP.

You're recommending some random person to delid a chip? :/ That's only for a very niche audience dude.

Exactly. Mine only reached 78 deg. during prime27.9...

You're recommending some random person to delid a chip? :/ That's only for a very niche audience dude.

It's overheating on a stock cooler. It should be delidded. It's not that difficult to do. Vice.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Those are terrible temps even on the stock Intel HSF.

yeah, OP did you mount it correctly?

It's overheating on a stock cooler. It should be delidded. It's not that difficult to do. Vice.

It could be overheating due to a bad mount or shitty applience of paste aswell. Do you also first disassemble your entire engine if the car is running poorly before you look if the tire is flat?

And it's easy if you know what you're doing.

It could be overheating due to a bad mount or shitty applience of tape aswell. Do you also first disassemble your entire car before you look if the tire is flat?

I'm betting the OP already tried that.

Remount cooler

Re apply thermal compound

Fixed.

Remount it.

Last time I had an Intel cpu hit those temps on stock cooling one of the push pins on the cooler had popped out of the mounting hole on the motherboard.

It isn't really overheating as limit for Intel chips is 100C. And its being under very heavy load with GTA V (known to stress CPU) and encoding video (also known to stress CPU). So I wouldn't straight on suggest delid when cheap air cooler will fix that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv