Booting to m.2 SSD

Scotthew

I'm finalizing my latest build and I ran into a snag when trying to install Win10 onto a Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD. The mobo is MSI Z170A. In BIOS if I set SATA mode to RAID, the m.2 drive isn't shown as a boot device option. If the SATA mode is set to AHCI, the board recognizes the m.2 drive no problem.

However, I want to use RAID mode SATA because I have two other SATAIII SSDs that I want to run in RAID0. Do I have to choose one or the other? What does SATA mode have to do with an m.2 device that is supposed to be using PCI-E x4 anyways? Thanks guys. I'm so close I can taste it.

Motherboard:       MSI Z170A Krait

BIOS Ver:          A.5 23 Oct 2015

Primary storage:   Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD

Secondary Storage: Samsung 850 EVO SSDs (x2 RAID0)

Update:

A few things I've stumbled upon suggest I need "PCIe remapping" so that Intel RST will recognize my NVMe drive.

In the BIOS I went to Settings>Advanced>Windows OS Configuration and enabled Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support. This changes the system to UEFI mode (was defaulted at Legacy+UEFI); so I can no longer boot to a specific storage drive, just "UEFI Hard Disk." However, it does allow remapping under SATA mode. I enabled M2_1 - PCIe Storage Remapping, but left SE1_2 - PCIe Storage Remapping disabled as I think this is my blu-ray drive. Allegedly, this will allow me to get into Intel RST where someone has suggested setting the m.2 drive as a single drive RAID as a work around. Unfortunately, before I can enter Intel RST I get an odd "EFI Shell" error screen.

Can you please post the full model number from the sticker on the drive.

If your drive is NVMe then changing SATA Mode shouldn't affect it in any way. I'm wondering if you bought a SATA drive and not an NVMe one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Can you please post the full model number from the sticker on the drive.

If your drive is NVMe then changing SATA Mode shouldn't affect it in any way. I'm wondering if you bought a SATA drive and not an NVMe one.

Model: MZ-VKV512

It says NVM Express right on the stick.

Have you tried booting with just the 950 Pro installed in RAID mode, and then installing windows on it?

Actually, yes. If I unplug the other two SSDs from the mobo, then regardless of SATA mode, the m.2 drive becomes a bootable option. I did this and installed Win10 in order to install Samsung's latest drivers from the 950 Pro in a vain hope that it would some how fix my problem. It didn't. D:

Update:

A few things I've stumbled upon suggest I need "PCIe remapping" so that Intel RST will recognize my NVMe drive.

In the BIOS I went to Settings>Advanced>Windows OS Configuration and enabled Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support. This changes the system to UEFI mode (was defaulted at Legacy+UEFI); so I can no longer boot to a specific storage drive, just "UEFI Hard Disk." However, it does allow remapping under SATA mode. I enabled M2_1 - PCIe Storage Remapping, but left SE1_2 - PCIe Storage Remapping disabled as I think this is my blu-ray drive. Allegedly, this will allow me to get into Intel RST where someone has suggested setting the m.2 drive as a single drive RAID as a work around. Unfortunately, before I can enter Intel RST I get an odd "EFI Shell" error screen.

I was reading through aggielaw's workaround (first link) the other day, but wasn't certain how much it applied to my situation since he couldn't get the m.2 to boot even when it was the only drive installed. I was actually able to install Win10 on the m.2 by unplugging the other two SSDs, after which I updated the m.2's drivers from Samsung as he did. I think his method is what I'll try next though as I've tried everything else I can think of.