i3 2100 VS i5 750 Media Transcoding on Plex

I have the option to swap out the motherboard and CPU in my mediaserver right now. It currently has the first gen i5 which is barely sufficient to do 1080p media transcoding. But when transcoding, the CPU usage is not pegged at 100%. Could it not be utilizing all the cores or something? 

I know the i3 is only a hyperthreaded dual core as opposed to a non hyperthreaded quad core, but which would be better at running the plex server? Both the i3 and the i5 are pretty closely matched on passmark.

The reason I want to make the switch is because the i3 has a lower power consumption, and this thing runs 24/7. Thoughts?

i5 until you go ivy

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

i5 is superior

Haswell i3s were the first ones worth a damn

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

i5. BTW both of those CPUs are overclockable with a BCLK overclock, motherboard and cooling permitting. I ran my i7-920 with a BCLK of 195.

I dont know about transcoding but my i3 2100 runs my pc good :)

I game a lot.

i5. BTW both of those CPUs are overclockable with a BCLK overclock, motherboard and cooling permitting. I ran my i7-920 with a BCLK of 195.

Yep, I pushed mine i5-750 to 4.0 GHz this way. Still runs in my main rig, waiting for Zen to upgrade to something else (whether AMD or Intel).

Yep, I pushed mine to 4.0 GHz this way. Still runs in my main rig, waiting for Zen to upgrade to something else (whether AMD or Intel).

How in the holy ballsacks does it go that fast? What can I achieve on my mediaserver? Isnt this going to affect sata controllers and stuff?

How in the holy ballsacks does it go that fast? What can I achieve on my mediaserver? Isnt this going to affect sata controllers and stuff?

If you want I can give you my settings, but it's just guideline, your overclocking experience will almost certainly be different. Also make sure to check your motherboard and cooler is good enough (I have AIO liquid, but it isn't really necessary, good air cooler is just fine).

It doesn't because the PCIE bus on these chips is independent from the baseclock. Skylake is the same way, but Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell all tied the PCIE bus to the baseclock, meaning you can't overclock them like this.