Astro A40 2014. To Audio Technica ATH M50X, A Worthy Upgrade?

ToniBamboni

Or am I just wasting my money? I'm in the market for a good pair of entry level music listening headphones.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Astros sound like shit compared to m50s.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Astros sound like shit compared to m50s.

Pretty much all I needed to know.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Pretty much all I needed to know.

Before you jump the gun on the purchase, look at the M40X if the M50X is a serious purchase decision you've made, the M50X is horribly overpriced and overhyped (especially on these forums). Let me clarify though, the M50X is NOT bad, they are just a horrible choice for their price when other options are available.

On top of that though, considering you had Astros, would you be using these for gaming? Because the M50X is TERRIBLE when used as such, mostly in part due to the lack of soundstage in comparison to other choices you'd have.

I'd recommend looking at NVX XPT100, Sennheiser HD558, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. These are my general recommendations for under $200 and should be able to all be had for $160(regular M50X price) and under, as well as be great for both music listening AND gaming.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Before you jump the gun on the purchase, look at the M40X if the M50X is a serious purchase decision you've made, the M50X is horribly overpriced and overhyped (especially on these forums). Let me clarify though, the M50X is NOT bad, they are just a horrible choice for their price when other options are available.

On top of that though, considering you had Astros, would you be using these for gaming? Because the M50X is TERRIBLE when used as such, mostly in part due to the lack of soundstage in comparison to other choices you'd have.

I'd recommend looking at NVX XPT100, Sennheiser HD558, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. These are my general recommendations for under $200 and should be able to all be had for $160(regular M50X price) and under, as well as be great for both music listening AND gaming.

Thanks for the quality response to a low quality post. I'll be looking into the DT990.

Should I get an AMP with these? If so, can you lead me in the right direction.

Thanks for the quality response to a low quality post. I'll be looking into the DT990.

Should I get an AMP with these? If so, can you lead me in the right direction.

Need, absolutely not, but if you feel the yearning for a good audio setup for a decent price though, I'd really recommend a Schiit stack that will cost you about $200 (about $100 per box) with the Schiit Vali Magni amp and Schiit Modi dac. (nevermind the Vali, didn't realize the new model went up in price from $119 to $169 compared to the old)

For the Beyer 990s, I still have my DT990s and love them, BUT, I just want you to keep in mind that they are known as bright. The treble can be "ear piercing" for some people who happen to be sensitive to such frequencies. So please keep that in mind. They are not too bright for myself and they are my daily driver headphones when at the computer, primarily if I'm gaming, but I just want to make sure you are aware that the sound signature with these is either a love or hate kind of thing.

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Need, absolutely not, but if you feel the yearning for a good audio setup for a decent price though, I'd really recommend a Schiit stack that will cost you about $200 (about $100 per box) with the Schiit Vali Magni amp and Schiit Modi dac. (nevermind the Vali, didn't realize the new model went up in price from $119 to $169 compared to the old)

For the Beyer 990s, I still have my DT990s and love them, BUT, I just want you to keep in mind that they are known as bright. The treble can be "ear piercing" for some people who happen to be sensitive to such frequencies. So please keep that in mind. They are not too bright for myself and they are my daily driver headphones when at the computer, primarily if I'm gaming, but I just want to make sure you are aware that the sound signature with these is either a love or hate kind of thing.

I agree fully with everything except the Schiit *stack* recommendation. DACs are a waste of money at this level (or any level, arguably); consider that devoting that $100 to the headphone basically double's the available budget for the most important component in the audio.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that onboard audio issues are frequently the cause of software problems and that they should be solved without spending money on additional hardware. Additionally, I wish manufacturers were held accountable for their defective audio implementations instead of people throwing up their hands and buying soundcards or external DACs.

I agree fully with everything except the Schiit *stack* recommendation. DACs are a waste of money at this level (or any level, arguably); consider that devoting that $100 to the headphone basically double's the available budget for the most important component in the audio.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that onboard audio issues are frequently the cause of software problems and that they should be solved without spending money on additional hardware. Additionally, I wish manufacturers were held accountable for their defective audio implementations instead of people throwing up their hands and buying soundcards or external DACs.

Just currious, if you beleive this, why do you have a Schiit stack?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well technically he has a point, but I like the ability to use the same setup across various devices, thus my recommendation for separate dac as well as amp.

He probably came to that conclusion after spending some time with the stack, then just kept it cuz why not.

M50's suck for gaming though due to the narrow soundstage, plus they are uncomfortable for longer periods of use and for larger than average ears, like mine.

Look into something else, open if you want (usually) better gaming and movie experiences, or closed if you want isolation. Some headphones that usually beat the M50X in most things are: Sennheiser HD5x8 series (open), Shure SRH440 and 840 (440 with 840 pads is almost identical to 840, both are closed), Beyerdynamic DT770 / 880 / 990 (all very good, 770 is closed, 880 is semi-open and 990 is open), Pioneer SE-A1000 (sounds like Sennheisers but are cheap. great for huge heads), Audio-Technica ATH-AD / A 700X / 900X (AD is open, A is closed) 

aaand I can't think of much more. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50