R9 390 gpu bricks computer when plugged in

chaoseye
Go to solution Solved by chaoseye,

The 390 has a 8 and 6 slot pcie , which is weird.Previously I used the 6+2 wire(same wire) for my 390. For some reason I decided to use that 6+6 to 8 pcie wire and plugged 2 of the 6 connectors into that and plugged that into the 8 slot. The 6 pcie slot is the same on my 390.  Now everything is working great, 144hz, all the drivers are installed. Now I'm dealing with my monitor reverting back to 59hz when i turn on freesync....using mini display port.

I've bought an xfx r9 390 to replace my old 560ti, but when I seat it in, my computer refuses to boot, but all the fans+gpu fans and led lights work. Also, the 390 does not send any signal to my monitor and none of my peripherals light up, and I can't even use my integrated graphics.

Next thing I did was uninstall all nvidia drivers by removing the 390 and using my integrated graphics(which does not work when 390 is seated in). Even after that , when the 390 is plugged in, my computer does not do anything except light up and spin all the fans.

My computer works with the 560ti and also with only integrated graphics.
I've to place the 390 in different slots , and made sure two different pcie wires are being used.

CPU: i7 3770k ivy bridge

Motherboard: GA-Z77mx-d3h rev1.0

PSU:750w thermaltake gold semi-modular single rail

GPU:EVGA nvidia 560ti

RAM: 2x8

SSD:128gb sandisk

HDD:2tb seagate

Have you connected all the power plugs required for 390?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Have you connected all the power plugs required for 390?

yes, I made sure everything is plugged in and that I'm not using split wires to fill in both the slots.

yes, I made sure everything is plugged in and that I'm not using split wires to fill in both the slots.

Does your motherboard have a speaker / Q Code / LED's that can tell you why its not booting?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

yeah it may be a power issue, the 560ti has a lower TDP then the 390.

also it requires 65 watts more power, and if you were close to the edge of your current psu's limit then that might cause it.

CIS Student

Bleeding Panther

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-5820K | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX | Thermatake TG-7 | Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme Edition GTX 1080 Ti | MSI X99S Gaming 7 | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GBx2 | Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB x2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass | EVGA 850 G2 | Corsair Air Series SP120x6 | Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard | Logitech MX Master 2S | Audio-Technica M50x Headphones

Does your motherboard have a speaker / Q Code / LED's that can tell you why its not booting?

Not sure what you mean , but I assume the its not booting because my mouse and keyboard do not light up , along with my monitor not recieving any signal from either my integrated graphics or the gpu itself. But my fans and leds are recieving power. 

What model of motherboard do you have? I had the same issue with a motherboard I got from a prebuilt dell with my MSI 390x. Luckily I had another mobo and CPU I could use it in. Nothing seemed off with the card after that.

yeah it may be a power issue, the 560ti has a lower TDP then the 390

Yeah but 750w is still more than enough.

yeah it may be a power issue, the 560ti has a lower TDP then the 390

No way, I have a basically brand new 750w psu. I've heard of people running a 390 on 550w psus

I find it hard to believe I was edging out on my previous 700w psu. If so, wouldn't a 750w psu accommodate the extra 65w usage from the 390?

What model of motherboard do you have? I had the same issue with a motherboard I got from a prebuilt dell with my MSI 390x. Luckily I had another mobo and CPU I could use it in. Nothing seemed off with the card after that.

Could it really be the motherboard even though my 560 works?

No way, I have a basically brand new 750w psu. I've heard of people running the 390s on 550w psus

This is true but it also depends on what else is in the system, if he has a 560ti I'd assume he has an older cpu aswell.

Also did he turn the powerswitch on the back, back on?

CIS Student

Bleeding Panther

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-5820K | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX | Thermatake TG-7 | Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme Edition GTX 1080 Ti | MSI X99S Gaming 7 | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GBx2 | Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB x2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass | EVGA 850 G2 | Corsair Air Series SP120x6 | Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard | Logitech MX Master 2S | Audio-Technica M50x Headphones

This is true but it also depends on what else is in the system, if he has a 560ti I'd assume he has an older cpu aswell.

Also did he turn the powerswitch on the back, back on?

Ivy bridge i7 3770k . And the 560ti wasn't that bad in 2012 :( was it?

And I think I understand that last part. My computer well, turns on to say the least, leds light up and ALL fans spin. But none of my peripherals light up and my monitor does not recieve any signal from both my integrated graphics and gpu. I'm currently using my integrated graphics without my 390 plugged in.

Could it really be the motherboard even though my 560 works?

It could. It definitely was for me, anyway. The GTX 660 I had in that system worked like a charm before I tried the 390x.

Ivy bridge i7 3770k

If your pc runs fine without the gpu, and everything spins up fine with it in it may be that your HDMI port on yopur gpu is broken

CIS Student

Bleeding Panther

Spoiler

It could. It definitely was for me, anyway. The GTX 660 I had in that system worked like a charm before I tried the 390x.

I have a gigabyte motherboard. I'm trying to find the model but it says to be filled by oem on both dxdiag and system information. 

If your pc runs fine without the gpu, and everything spins up fine with it in it may be that your HDMI port on yopur gpu is broken

That would be really crazy, and I've the other port too along with display port , but no luck there. Also my integrated graphics also does not work when the 390 is plugged in so I do not think that is the issue.

Do you have a spare power supply that can handle your computer with the 390? I'd give that a shot. Something like a 750W or higher.

Do you have a spare power supply that can handle your computer with the 390? I'd give that a shot. Something like a 750W or higher.

I have a 3 year old 700w cx psu. And I am using a nearly brand new 750w psu.

I have a 3 year old 700w cx psu. And I am using a nearly brand new 750w psu.

The CX may not be a great idea to test with. And even brand new PSUs can be defective. If you can get your hands on a decent known working PSU with a setup similar (or more) in power use to yours I'd try it. even if you have to borrow it from someone.

Oh, have you made sure the psu wasn't putting all of the power onto the same rails? Is this a multi rail psu or a single rail? if multi rail, make sure the gpu is going off one/two 12v rails that aren't shared with the cpu.

The CX may not be a great idea to test with. And even brand new PSUs can be defective. If you can get your hands on a decent known working PSU with a setup similar (or more) in power use to yours I'd try it. even if you have to borrow it from someone.

Oh, have you made sure the psu wasn't putting all of the power onto the same rails? Is this a multi rail psu or a single rail? if multi rail, make sure the gpu is going off one/two 12v rails that aren't shared with the cpu.

Heres the exact psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153198. And it works with my 560 ti along with no gpu at all. Unless you mean that it's defect is that it really does not support 750w.It's single rail 

Heres the exact psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153198. And it works with my 560 ti along with no gpu at all. Unless you mean that it's defect is that it really does not support 750w.It's single rail 

Ok, single rail helps a bit with configuring rails and crap. aka: no configuring.

The defect would be that the psu isn't actually capable of running at 100% or even close to it. I just googled the tdp on both cards, and they are surprisingly similar :o so theoretically your psu should work. unless the r9 390 really is pulling a lot more on startup than the gforce is.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is making absolute sure the power connectors are fully plugged in. All of them. Also reseat the card if you haven't. After that, its probably the card :(

But what causes the 560 ti to work but the 390 to not work on the motheboard? Is there nothing I can do but change the motherboard completely?

Ok, single rail helps a bit with configuring rails and crap. aka: no configuring.

The defect would be that the psu isn't actually capable of running at 100% or even close to it. I just googled the tdp on both cards, and they are surprisingly similar :o so theoretically your psu should work. unless the r9 390 really is pulling a lot more on startup than the gforce is.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is making absolute sure the power connectors are fully plugged in. All of them. Also reseat the card if you haven't. After that, its probably the card :(

I've reseated multiple times in different slots on my motherboard. What would be wrong with the card that causes it to not let my computer do anything more than spin the fans and light the leds? It having massive power draw does now seem to be the very very likely reason for my peripherals to what seems like not recieving any power when the 390 is plugged in, but the 390's fans spin when I turn the computer on if that means anything.

Generally, when a motherboard doesn't find any graphics device, it generally does nothing. Fans may spin up, but it won't post. It'll just sit there doing nothing. etc, etc. 

Just the other day I re-installed my old 6850 to test with, and forgot the power leads. Now I had expected it to make a racket but I was probably mis-remembering my old 8800GTS. It just sat there like a lump on a log doing nothing till I turned it off, plugged the pcie power in and turned it all back on.

One GPU works and the other doesn't. Pretty solid evidence the 390 is dead. Only way to know for sure is plug the 390 into another PC and see if that PC fails to post.

If anyone asks you never saw me.