How do I open and save .ico files in photoshop?

woox

And no, before anyone posts, I am not asking for a link to a website that will convert images to .ico format, what I am asking for is a method to open and save icon (.ico) files in Photoshop itself. I have found a few methods online, but they appear to be outdated, as they did not work.

Thanks for the help.

Pretty sure you need a plugin to do it natively in photoshop. Have you tried just changing the extension to .png to open it and then change it back to .ico afterwards?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Pretty sure you need a plugin to do it natively in photoshop. Have you tried just changing the extension to .png to open it and then change it back to .ico afterwards?

Tried saving a file as .ico, and it does turn PNG's to icons, but when setting it as an actual icon for a folder I get the message "The file (file path) contains no icons". I tried installing the plugin, but every guide I have found mentions a "File Formats" folder existing under "Plug-ins" which does not exist for me, and creating it and installing it there does nothing.

Tried saving a file as .ico, and it does turn PNG's to icons, but when setting it as an actual icon for a folder I get the message "The file (file path) contains no icons". I tried installing the plugin, but every guide I have found mentions a "File Formats" folder existing under "Plug-ins" which does not exist for me, and creating it and installing it there does nothing.

They're probably outdated :( last time I as looking for such plugins  it was for like CS3 while CS6 was the latest

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Tried it before, and tried it again now for good measure. I follow the instructions to the letter, but it doesn't work, the format does not appear.

Works fine

PBuNMMX.png

• 6 years later...

August 2022: Downloaded the 64bit format from telegraphics, copied to %system%:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Plug-ins the extracted file. Restarted Photoshop 2021 and worked instantly.

icon file open menu un photoshop 2021.jpg