LinusTechTips Video Review "BURN TEST! IOSafe N2 Fireproof & Waterproof NAS"

I wish I could like and dislike the video. '0.65' like and '0.35' dislike. Youtube should implement this.

Many(not all) North American TV science/testing shows mess up(sometimes completely ignore) the units when they mention temperatures. The international viewers are thinking(at least I am) - "Have these guys evolved enough(not being condescending, see reasoning* later) that they mean Celsius, when they mention a temperature without any units? Or do these guys mean Fahrenheit? Or the far less likely - are they so super-evolved that they mean Kelvin?

(*reasoning) It is a science/sciencey show and since Celsius is closest in relationship to Kelvin, one would expect them to mean Celsius when they mention temperatures without units but unfortunately, they rarely mean that. Also, Don't mention temperatures without any units. That's just plain wrong.

Now you guys mess up the units many times in the video. Now I know that the temperature couldn't have been 800 deg C. Not everybody knows that. I know you meant 800 deg F or 426 deg C(Yes, I converted it.) This is especially confusing because you guys have used Celsius in pretty much all of your past benchmarking/testing videos and then suddenly you start changing units.

Second, you guys ignored my comment on the unboxing video about testing the NAS for shock resistance. SHOCK DAMAGE is HIGHLY LIKELY during a fire. During a fire, if this NAS, being as heavy as it is, was on a desk, it could fall to the floor or things could fall on it, compromising not only its fire and water resistance capabilities but also the physical integrity of the hard drives stored within.
I partly understand why you did not do this test because IOSafe did not specify shock resistance on the NAS and maybe you did not want to show their product in a bad light(maybe)?

Third, you said this is a "worst case scenario". In a worst case scenario, the drives MUST be completely full. Were the drives completely full? You never mentioned that.
Regardless of whether or not the drives are full, after testing, you should have run a full battery of tests to check if all sectors of the drive are intact/readable. Instead, you simply played back some of the files which is simply not enough.

Now having said that, I did enjoy the video. It was nice to see Slick's brother. Now I see what Slick meant when he said his brother, though shorter, was much much stronger than him. Honestly, the only reason I am saying good things is so that I don't sound like a complete jerk above. It goes without saying but most LinusTechTips videos are awesome. I had to point out the flaws that I saw in this one.

Anyway guys, what do you think?

Am I being nitpicky?

Could the test have been done better?

Should Slick's brother have been given more screen time? The answer's Yes for this one BTW. I would like to have known what games he plays.

Please add a TL;DR Part of your post :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I completely agree with you on the first part if it is as you say (haven't watched it yet).

The second part is also valid because if something falls on it/it falls down or it gets caught in a current and smashed against a wall it could break.

I have no idea about the third thing but I guess it's also right.

As someone from Germany who always liked mathematics/physics/chemistry in school and had them on a higher level I wanna slap everyone using Fahrenheit. °C is OK for differences or to state something. But for calculations (unless it's dT in which case it's the same with °C and K) use Kelvin pls.

Your being nitpicky...

It's not a scientific test, its a general proof of concept... so in that respect its quite a good Linus video...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

You see, since Canada's America's Top Hat, lots of imperial units are mixed in with the metric system. Canadians around here use Celsius when talking about weather, but Fahrenheit when baking goods. We also use Pounds instead of Kilograms when measuring weight, and the Caucasians use Ft/Inches for measuring height while Asians use cm and Metres. But when we measure distance or speed, it's in KM(/h)...It's a really big mess here, tbh.

Please add a TL;DR Part of your post :)

Don't be lazy it's not that long. It's seriously not that hard. He at least split up his paragraphs and isn't a block of text like some people.

TL:DR Don't comment if you didn't read.

To answer your questions OP.

Yes they did mess up saying Celsius the first time than Fahrenheit the second time.

The drives were not full but did have data on them as was shown at the end of the video. Them being completely full or not doesn't make that much of a difference since you are suppose to send the drives back to the company and they do a data recovery on them anyways.

Sure there was no shock damage but there was heat and water damage done which is more than enough for a generic test. 

Your seriously taking this way to far. It was a basic test to show that yes it does work after being subjected to fire and water. Not a be all end all of will it work falling through the floor and things falling on it.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

• 6 months later...

Well, I've watched this video more than once and they did mention Celsius at least 5 times talking with the firefighter and chief.  Linus did slip and mention Fahrenheit (over 1000 degrees) at the end of the video.  So if you're all about getting into a semantic argument about which unit of temperature they used in the test: congratulations, you win!

As other posters have stated more succinctly (you may be overthinking this), this was purely a test for FIRE and WATER damage.  If you'd like to produce a video solely about shock damage during shipping and any possible shock damage during a fire...go right ahead!  Do you seriously think with all that plastic and polymer padding inside the NAS that sufficiently protects against fire and water damage that falling off a 2 or 3 foot table during a fire would cause any damage whatsoever?  And another point, does IOSTORE provide any guarantee that it is 100% shock resistant, considering they R&D'd it against fire and water damage?  Are you following this theory in a linear pattern or is your brain wired differently than the rest of the world?  I'm only asking so you can seek out professional help. 

Of course the rest of us all realize there has to be one "person" in the room who has to spoil the meal...it's like a new government edict.  How about this theory?  If someone was going to spend over $1500 on a fireproof/waterproof NAS device, do you think they might mount it on a server rack or keep it in a rather secure space in their office, business, house?  Or do you think IT professionals use these things as miniature coffee tables?  I think simulating a house fire with combustible material directly next to and on top of the NAS was a perfect "worst case" scenario.  Also, would you agree whether it was 900 F or 900 C, that's pretty darn hot (can I swear on this board?)!

But what do I know, I've only been working in the IT field for over 30 years and the majority of that time was a consultant dealing with amongst other things: disaster recovery.  This little bundle of joy would have been cherished 20 plus years ago and saved hundreds of man hours.  We wouldn't have had to drive offsite tapes and drives to other facilities every single day in the event our main operations facilities had a fire or flood.

This is just my opinion...maybe you should have given this a little more thought prior to posting.