Building A PC Using Server Pieces

redyjr4

Hey! So I'm trying to build a PC out of old server parts. I've heard that it is really good for the price.

So I've already found two Intel Xeon L5420's on eBay, and I'm now having trouble with the ram and motherboard. I'm planning on getting a 750ti to put beside it, and I haven't yet decided on a case because I don't know the type of motherboard yet. I know the motherboard has to be LGA711, I just don't know what to look for in a server motherboard. Can this group help me find a motherboard and ram?

I'm looking at a bunch of LGA711 motherboards on eBay, and I'm worried about the GPU not fitting. In the LinusTechTips video, Linus had to cut off the lock on his GPU. I don't want to do that. Can you help me?

Thanks!

A GPU will fit in ANY motherboard that has a PCI-E connector,but optimal performance comes from x8 and up.If the PCI-E lane isnt near any capacitors then theres will be no problem,just inspect the MOBO at some of its preview images.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

Well if you're going to take this route, you will need to cut things off and do some DIY work, that's why its such a cheap way of building a PC.

For mobo: find a mobo with DDR2 or DDR3 RAM slots, your compatible CPU Socket, and atleast 2 expansion slots.

For RAM: just any compatible ECC RAM would work.

If you want a case... you're on your own. You can build your own!

Happy Building! 

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

You can buy PCIe risers (short ribbon cables) so you can have your GPU away from the motherboard in order to avoid problems with it fitting, and may help you if building your own case.

You can buy PCIe risers (short ribbon cables) so you can have your GPU away from the motherboard in order to avoid problems with it fitting, and may help you if building your own case.

Well if you're going to take this route, you will need to cut things off and do some DIY work, that's why its such a cheap way of building a PC.

For mobo: find a mobo with DDR2 or DDR3 RAM slots, your compatible CPU Socket, and atleast 2 expansion slots.

For RAM: just any compatible ECC RAM would work.

If you want a case... you're on your own. You can build your own!

Happy Building! 

Thank you all for your responses. I have found this motherboard:

http://www.ebay.ca/i...sd=141863409356

I don't know if it is compatible with ddr2 or ddr3 ram, or whether the PCI-E slot is x8. Can you tell me whether this would be a good board?

Also, would the capacitors near the CPU socket will be a problem with installing an aftermarket cooler or a stock cooler? 

Thanks!