Xeon E3-1231 V3

Can i get some opinions on the Xeon 1231? Iv'e been researching a lot about this chip before i go ahead and use it for my Gaming PC build. Just wondering if it's worth getting this over a i5-4690k since it is only $9 more than the i5 and People say the Xeon performs like an Unlocked i7-4770.

Can i get some opinions on the Xeon 1231? Iv'e been researching a lot about this chip before i go ahead and use it for my Gaming PC build. Just wondering if it's worth getting this over a i5-4690k since it is only $9 more than the i5 and People say the Xeon performs like an Unlocked i7-4770.

It is a 4770 minus the iGPU and with a lower clockspeed effectively.

If you're just gaming, I would recommend you go with the i5. If you're doing stuff like video editing or streaming, I would go for the Xeon.

Sig under construction.

Xeons are not really meant for gaming first of all you can't overclock and they have a lowerclock speed. I would get the i7

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

It is a 4770 minus the iGPU and with a lower clockspeed effectively.

If you're just gaming, I would recommend you go with the i5. If you're doing stuff like video editing or streaming, I would go for the Xeon.

Hyperthreading.

blackshades on

It's 100 MHz less than the i7-4770.

although its not highly noticeable it still does not have hyper threading

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

As games start making use of more than for threads, the xeon will out perform a i5. If you don't care about overclocking then getting the xeon is the best choice. It will perform about as well as the i5 in games that don't make use of more than for threads, and will perform better in games that do

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Both the 4770 and 1231v3 have HT. 

really? For some reason I thought that xeons did not have hyper threading 

really? For some reason I thought that xeons did not have hyper threading 

The majority of Xeons have hyperthreading. Some have iGPUs too. The Xeon line of CPUs is pretty broad. 

As games start making use of more than for threads, the xeon will out perform a i5. If you don't care about overclocking then getting the xeon is the best choice. It will perform about as well as the i5 in games that don't make use of more than for threads, and will perform better in games that do

Thank you! I will be going with a Xeon 1231 then since i will not be doing overclocking, and this chip will suit my build well.

The majority of Xeons have hyperthreading. Some have iGPUs too. The Xeon line of CPUs is pretty broad. 

wow I guess you learn something new every day :D

Thank you! I will be going with a Xeon 1231 then since i will not be doing overclocking, and this chip will suit my build well.

No problem. The 1231 is a great cpu. It will serve you well. Have fun :)

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

It's a great chip for gaming, I run one myself with a GTX 970. It's a locked i7-4770 minus 100 MHz, minus integrated graphics, and with better thermals.

It's a great chip for gaming, I run one myself with a GTX 970. It's a locked i7-4770 minus 100 MHz, minus integrated graphics, and with better thermals.

Awesome! I myself will either be running a R9 390 or a GTX 970, still haven't decided which card i want. I like the fact that Nvidia has shadowplay but for Price Performance people say the R9 390 is better.

Awesome! I myself will either be running a R9 390 or a GTX 970, still haven't decided which card i want. I like the fact that Nvidia has shadowplay but for Price Performance people say the R9 390 is better.

LOL, prepare for a holy war if you ask 390 vs 970. They're both awesome cards. If you're in the US, check the Hot Deals forum. There is a 390x from newegg selling for the price of 390/970.

LOL, prepare for a holy war if you ask 390 vs 970. They're both awesome cards.

Trust me i love both cards!

The way I see it, it is a bit of a wash, both have their advantages and disadvantages. In terms of pure performance the 390 is a bit better. But I'm rocking my 970 and couldn't be happier for 1080p

My rig:

LOL, prepare for a holy war if you ask 390 vs 970. They're both awesome cards. If you're in the US, check the Hot Deals forum. There is a 390x from newegg selling for the price of 390/970.

WOW i'll look into that!

Wow that is a great deal! Thank you!

Yeah, that's the GPU I'd buy if I was in the market today in that price range. The $30 MIR is mildly annoying, but to get the full Hawaii chip plus the big memory overclock of the 300 series I'd deal with it, especially since I buy almost exclusively from newegg and would find great use for that $20 giftcard.