What to choose PCIE network cards only

danthemandra

Hi community,

I am a first time builder but I'm not new to computers hardware and etc. what I am new to is wireless networking. I used to always have a hard wire connection, seeing as it is the most reliable form of connection. So my friend sold me his night hawk ac3200 before I moved into my new place and I just got it all set up but how my new apartment is laid out and where my phone jack is located it is now impossible to have a wired connection. I am almost done buying the parts for my new x99 build that will be mainly used for gaming and streaming. I am just wondering what would be the best solution for a pcie network card. I am willing to pay top dollar if I have to but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. What would be the best solution

Thank you for reading this long post btw

You'd likely be better off buying a set of powerline adapters than an expensive WiFi card. The quality of the connection will depend on the wiring in the building, but I've found it's normally much more stable and faster than WiFi. 

I am sorry I think my post was confusing I will change it now but it needs to be wireless however this solution would work if I needed a Ethernet card

I am sorry I think my post was confusing I will change it now but it needs to be wireless however this solution would work if I needed a Ethernet card

HAHA your good man, I'm just hella tired :P going on 24hours soon.

I am pulling about 80mbps with my router now and do not experience packet loss or high ping no matter how many people are on my network would I have similar network performance or bettrer?

You'd likely be better off buying a set of powerline adapters than an expensive WiFi card. The quality of the connection will depend on the wiring in the building, but I've found it's normally much more stable and faster than WiFi. 

Except this guy's:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/517515-ethernet-worse-than-wifi/

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I have seen power line and it looks cool but I have a cool new router that I want to make use of and I am confident I can get faster speeds with an wireless card where I am also paying for 80mbps isp

As I said, the connection quality depends on the wiring in the building. It is not always a better solution, but for me, I've found it's faster than WiFi.

Faster is all that matters

So power line I have read a couple of posts that are iffy but hey it could be worth while

Can I just get a bone from the community on a pcie card that will also do the job just in case I decide to return the power line and go wifi

Faster is all that matters

So power line I have read a couple of posts that are iffy but hey it could be worth while

It depends on your situation. I get 22Mbps with WiFi and 34Mbps with Powerline in my house that has a lot of wireless devices around. 

On my laptop I am pulling similar performance to that of an Ethernet cable. I mean so close it is negligible which source I use so I know my wifi speeds are incredibly. But I just want a card that can do or beat what my laptop can do

I highly recommend staying away from the TP-Link 4800 if you use window 10. The drivers are bad and TP-Link doesnt have updated drivers for it. Any reason why you dont want a usb wireless adapter? 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

• 4 weeks later...