Powering an A4-4000

Go to solution Solved by Hans Power,

I'm pretty sure that it'll run the thing from a pure power delivery standpoint but I highly recommend using another power supply. The Urano doesn't even seem to have an 80+ rating and I highly doubt that it has proper protection circuits. With that kind of PSU you're lucky if it won't catch fire if it fails. Also a cheap PSU can wear out components much faster due to bad ripple and noise ratings. For that system I'd rather recommend a higher quality 350w PSU like the Corsair VS350 or an Antec EC VPF350F or something in that range of products. Concidering that 450w is usually enough even for a top end gaming system a wattage of 350w will be more than enough for such a low power media PC and you don't run the risk of setting your house on fire.

I'm currently working on a pretty low-end build to use as a media player for my living room, and after looking all over the place, I decided to go with an AMD A4-4000, paired with a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H motherboard. Problem is, I also went with a rather cheap power supply, a Nox Urano SX 500W, and it turns out it has a single 4-pin CPU power cable, whereas the motherboard "asks" for double 4-pin.

Will this work at all? I don't want to test it in case I have to return the power supply and the retailer starts saying things like "already opened, no money back for you". As I said, the only thing this computer is going to do is play media and act as a home server somewhere in the future. Will this setup work with a single 4-pin? I've read in other forums that there's the possibility to buy a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter, if it's really needed I can go that way. What are your thoughts on this?

*As a media player/server, all this power supply is going to run is the CPU, the RAM and about 6 hard drives, with an SSD for the system drive. Notice there will not be a discrete GPU or add-in cards, don't need anything else for now.

Thanks in advance,

Guille6219

Remember, it's not goodbye, oh no, it's see you later - Jake Roper

It may boot but it won't be reliable. I think it would be better to buy a psu with an 8pin connector.

It may boot but it won't be reliable. I think it would be better to buy a psu with an 8pin connector.

Anything that makes you be so sure about this?

I'm not saying it won't work. You may run into some issues under heavy loads. Try to connect only the 4 pin to mobo and stress test the system.

I'm not saying it won't work. You may run into some issues under heavy loads. Try to connect only the 4 pin to mobo and stress test the system.

I am not going to stress this computer, all it will be doing is playing media and act as a server. An adapter would make it work better/at all?

I'm pretty sure that it'll run the thing from a pure power delivery standpoint but I highly recommend using another power supply. The Urano doesn't even seem to have an 80+ rating and I highly doubt that it has proper protection circuits. With that kind of PSU you're lucky if it won't catch fire if it fails. Also a cheap PSU can wear out components much faster due to bad ripple and noise ratings. For that system I'd rather recommend a higher quality 350w PSU like the Corsair VS350 or an Antec EC VPF350F or something in that range of products. Concidering that 450w is usually enough even for a top end gaming system a wattage of 350w will be more than enough for such a low power media PC and you don't run the risk of setting your house on fire.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

it will work. i tried it before

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

Will try it with a single 4-pin, another power supply with the proper dual pin and an adapter. Will report later.

Just a quick update, I tried all those combinations and it did work, but with a memory stick I had lying around, not the one I had bought specifically. Will test it in my main computer, but it looks like its DOA. Anyone knows if these APUs are picky with the memory modules?