Why Microsoft Can't Keep $150 Xbox Controller In Stock

SansVarnic

Why Microsoft Can't Keep $150 Xbox Controller In Stock

By: John Gaudiosi

http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/xbox-one-elite-controller/?iid=sr-link1

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/why-microsoft-can%E2%80%99t-keep-dollar150-xbox-controller-in-stock/ar-BBo3wsm

elite.jpg?quality=80&w=840&h=485&crop=1

Demand outpaces production for its $150 Xbox One Elite Controller, built with Scuf Gaming technology.

While some gaming journalists were skeptical of the $150 price tag for the high-end customizable controller, gamers have been gobbling up the peripheral since it launched in late October. In fact, Microsoft hasn’t been able to keep up with demand.

Even the press garnered by the initial shortages has helped raised awareness of the technology behind the controllers. And it’s also shown companies like Microsoft that gamers are willing to pay for quality gaming peripherals that improve their game.

According to Microsoft after visiting several retailers the demand is quite high despite the high price and apparently those buying the controllers have said they are willing to pay for a quality controller.

I would not be surprised if Microsoft starts offering the elite controller with system in the future even no hint of such a thing is mentioned in the article. Personally I would like to buy one but I cant justify the cost at this time due to my having to explain it to my wife since I own 2 360 controllers I use with my pc right now.

But if Microsoft had paid closer attention to Scuf Gaming, the company it licensed the patented technology to create the Elite Controller, it would have found that gamers are willing to spend even more than $150 for a good controller. Scuf Gaming, which filed 55 patents and had 17 granted for the technology that makes the Elite Controller a reality, offers customizable versions of its Infinity1 for Xbox One controllers that retail for as much as $195 each.

This is good to know as moving forward it is possible that console makers may begin to compete with wanting to make better controllers for say the PlayStation, Steam Machines or even Nintendo. 

Admittedly I have wished that controllers were better built, I remember my N64 controllers constantly getting replaced because the controller wore down so fast. This is possibly the best move innovatively MS has made so far in the gaming industry.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What's the purpose of wasting money on this?

The price will eventually drop as more makers up the anti on quality and it becomes the norm.

But seriously this should have happened before now.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I just got one today lol

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Because all the 11 year old "MLG" COD players begged their parents for one for christmas.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Because all the 11 year old "MLG" COD players begged their parents for one for christmas.

You hit that nail . . .

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Super high quality, basically a Scuf. Waste of money is subjective.

I used to be quite active here.

Omg so true

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

Super high quality, basically a Scuf. Waste of money is subjective.

Totally agree. People spend just as much money on a mech keyboard, which is objectivley used within gaming for similar purposes

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

If you have the money, you don't mind spending it to get better things. This is true for everything.

I wish I could have one, I think it's a really nice controller and having nice comfortable peripherals is a must for me. 

Think about it, it's basically the way you communicate with your xbox. If that's something that you use for multiple hours a day, i think it's worth investing in. Similar to how some of us have 150 dollar keyboards and 100 dollar mice. Other people will say "The 15 dollar mouse and logitech keyboard from best buy is basically the same thing!" 

For those that are wondering;

https://scufgaming.com/xboxone/

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Totally agree. People spend just as much money on a mech keyboard, which is objectivley used within gaming for similar purposes

Hell, I spent $165 pre-ordering a Ducky Shine 5.

I used to be quite active here.

I would not be surprised if Microsoft starts offering the elite controller with system in the future...

But they do offer it already.

07aaad5d-1a5e-49fc-9763-7f81214e01f4.jpg

The console has a 1TB SSHD, and it comes with the elite controller.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

But they do offer it already.

<snip>

The console has a 1TB SSHD, and it comes with the elite controller.

Wow I missed that one. Thanks for the info.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Same reason people buy expensive mice and keyboards

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Same reason people buy expensive mice and keyboards

I can't imagine the abxy feel fundamentally different with the elite controller as does a mechanical keyboard and a decent mouse.

The trash dpad is a different story though.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So my takeaway from the story

Scuf have patents on an xbox controller, the patent system is interesting...

Microsoft have the patent for the controller, Scuf have patents for modifications to said controller but without microsofts initial controller scuf wouldn't have anything to modify in the first place.

I understand it's reasonable and it's business but I still think it's hilarious

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

The price will eventually drop as more makers up the anti on quality and it becomes the norm.

But seriously this should have happened before now.

I would feel okish with a 90 or 100 dollar price tag.  

I completely understand why people would want it. It is exactly like having a mechanical keyboard.

I have one and still think the price was too much but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish ABXY were mechanical like on the Razer Xbox controllers I'm too used to that. I also wish there were more options for the paddles. Think they could be 3D printed?

I completely understand why people would want it. It is exactly like having a mechanical keyboard.

No because everyone used to have mechanical keyboards but they were all thrown out when the systems were replaced completely. Smart people kept them or dumpster dove for them.

No because everyone used to have mechanical keyboards but they were all thrown out when the systems were replaced completely. Smart people kept them or dumpster dove for them.

yeah but others buy them for the quality and the feel the xbox elite is just like that. But if you think they are price appropriately is diffrent.