Ashley Madison has added 4 million new members since the massive hack that exposed tons of its users' identities

SansVarnic

Ashley Madison has added 4 million new members since the massive hack that exposed tons of its users' identities

by: Eugene Kim of Tech Insider.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/ashley-madison-has-added-4-million-new-members-since-the-massive-hack-that-exposed-tons-of-its-users-identities/ar-BBo3ONS

The article is a short read.

According to Ashley Madison, the dating site for cheaters now has 43.4 million anonymous members, roughly 4 million more than the 39 million members it had back in August when the data breach happened.

Given Ashley Madison has been adding roughly 4 million to 5 million new users annually, the growth spurt in the past 4 months is pretty impressive.

It would appear that the hack attack on AM did not slow down business after all. The article or AM is not providing whether or not AM was able to repair the hack or upgrade their security precautions or if users don't care that this has happened, I would figure on both being the issue. It was predicted Am would most likely go under in 2016 because of the attack but appears this wont be the case after all, but who knows it may still die its to early to tell.

Honestly I feel bad for all these "lonely" people. I have my own opinion about such activity but that is a personal matter I'll keep to myself for now as its not relevant to this discussion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I am single and loney

but i dont use that website in my life even if i am desperate

Meme-Faces-Forever-Alone-03.png

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Apparently there really is no such thing as bad publicity

Well, most people probably forgot the hack ever happened or did not pay attention to the news 

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I guess this proves that all publicity is good publicity. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

/tinfoil hat

What if the leak was intentional to draw massive attention to their site and spread the word to people with questionable morals?

/un tinfoil hat

4 million users in 4 months is quite the achievement itself 

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

what worse thou

the guys who created the accounts on the website uses their office or work emails

and some are from the govt

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what worse thou

the guys who created the accounts on the website uses their office or work emails

Well...

Darn.

Sucks to be them.... and their employers.

Well...

Darn.

Sucks to be them.... and their employers.

I will fire anyone who uses their work email for stuff like this

i will not want emails accounts compromise my network and my office systems

if they are dumb enough to use the SAME password as their work email!!!

Its time for another hack.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

There's no such thing as bad publicity ;) 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I am single and loney

but i dont use that website in my life even if i am desperate

its made for people who are already married

its made for people who are already married

Yup pretty much encourages you to destroy your marriage.

AM should die and burn to the ground.  :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yup pretty much encourages you to destroy your marriage.

AM should die and burn to the ground.  :ph34r:

It's just a medium.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

what worse thou

Meh. I have an Ashley Madison account. Someone signed up my email for it when er were talking about the leak on WAN Show and because they don't require email verification for free accounts there's nothing I can do to prevent it.

I suspect many (but likely not all) of the government or business email accounts are involuntary members.

I also suspect a lot of non cheaters wanted to scope the site when they heard the news out of idle curiosity and created accounts.

We all know a Ashley Madison doesn't actually delete any user data so they are probably counting all of these..

For those reasons I don't think a boost in registered members is very meaningful..

We all know a Ashley Madison doesn't actually delete any user data so they are probably counting all of these..

Fair bit of an assumption, don't you think? We don't all know that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Pretty confident the majority are troll accounts.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I'm guessing most of them are bots / accounts created by AM itself.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Fair bit of an assumption, don't you think? We don't all know that.

I think Linus is referring to the fact that Ashley Madison had a paid service to get your account data deleted, but info about users who had paid for it was still in the leak. So Ashley Madison got paid to delete information, but never actually did.

I doubt they spend the time and effort deleting fake accounts when they don't even delete things they are being paid to delete.